Forums Latest Members
  1. Exarkun12 Dec 20, 2015

Hi all, I would like to seek your advice on something odd I noticed on my GSOTM.

The hour hand is out of alignment from 9pm to 12am by about 3mins (the hour hand only hits the center of the markers 3 minutes past the hour.)

I also checked the hour hand between 7am to 8pm and they are mostly ok. 12 noon for example looks spot on. 9am is still off by 2-3 minutes, otherwise most are pretty close. These were observed while the watch is running normally. If I try to adjust the hands manually by advancing the minute hand past the hour and then rotating it backwards, I can get the hands to align, but they misalign again when the watch runs normally.

Now that I've noticed this, I can't stop checking :( I've searched the forums and some have said that the hour hand lags during the few hours preceding the date change. Is this true for the 9300 movement?

On top of that, any idea why it doesn't align at 9am?

(by the way, I sent the watch in to Omega and they returned it with nothing done and saying it was normal and in tolerance. I was told by the watchmaker in the Omega boutique that due to the quick set hour hand, there are bigger tolerances and that as long as the hour hand falls within the marker (which it does) it is OK. Nevertheless I am frustrated given the price of this watch!)

many thanks in advance. I hope some of you 9300 owners can chime in on this :)

2. Superdoc Dec 20, 2015

Apparently not a terribly uncommon problem with the 9300 movements..
    Due to the jumping hours mechanism, the hour hand can loosen from the hour wheel..
    I had the same issue with my Ceragold...

Look where the hour hand is relative to the hour marker... Over 10 minutes past the hour... image.jpeg

It was all I could see... Plus it actually affected the ability to tell time...

I sent it in - all under warranty... image.jpeg
    All perfect image.jpeg image.jpeg

You won't be able to enjoy the watch until you get this fixed...

Mine didn't start that way.. It gradually loosens, it will likely get worse..

Edited Dec 20, 2015
    Sameh likes this.
  3. Exarkun12 Dec 20, 2015

Hi Superdoc! Great watch!!! And thanks for the reply.

I also read about the hour hand slipping on 9300 movements, but I don't think mine is affected by this. The misalignment only seems to happen on certain times of the day (afaik from 9pm to midnight) and at 9am (strange one this). Some old threads have suggested that it is to do with the hour hand being dragged by the date change, but I'm not sure if the 9300 movement has this characteristic as well.

It is midnight here and the hour hand only aligned at 4min past midnight, seemingly when the date change snapped to 21.

I also sent the watch in to Omega and they returned the watch saying it was within tolerances and normal and hence did not do anything with it. Frustrating as u can imagine!

4. Exarkun12 Dec 21, 2015

Observed it this morning, the hour hand is 3 min late at 9am, otherwise spot on from 10am to noon.

Any idea why it is out for 9am? It is very obvious since the hour hand is supposed to be horizontal :(

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2015

I've answered you on WUS in your thread there. I agree this is not the typical alignment issue where the hands slip...

6. richard371 Dec 22, 2015

I can live with 2 or 3 mins off around the date change times but when the hour hand says 8:45 and the minute hand is at 10 after then id send it in like the POC shown above. I understand there can be a little play in gearing esp when more drag is involved like around the date change.

Too bad we have to sit and wait to test this. Setting it manually will not be a valid test. When I set my Sub manually the date changes exactly at midnight. Thought I was so lucky lol. When I wait and watch its actual 4 or 5 mins after.