Forums Latest Members
  1. DJG2645 Jan 19, 2020

Dear forum,

I am hoping to purchase my very first vintage seamaster :) as excited as I am, I am also cautious and have learned a lot through reading threads on here and asking you kind bunch for advise!

I have been messaging someone via this forum and am hoping to meet in London on Tuesday. They have been informative and responsive so I am hoping to purchase the below seamaster and just wanted to reach out for any thoughts;

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-...l-watch-in-mint-condition-ref-166-003.106335/

Many thanks in advance as always
    Dave

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 19, 2020

The case has been polished and if it was recently serviced the regulator shouldn't be missing it's adjustment screw (really not a good thing). Far from mint, maybe a $450-$500 watch.

DJG2645, Samir, KingCrouchy and 3 others like this.
  3. Maskelyne Jan 19, 2020

I would look further. As mentioned (very good observation) the adjustment screw is missing. And the condition "mint" is a false declaration of the watch. The price in that condition is way to high.

Samir and vicsdca like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 19, 2020

Do you mean to tell me that peire06 listings are not always accurate?

BlackTalon likes this.
  5. Dan S Jan 19, 2020

The dial is nice, but personally, the condition of the case would put me off. If you don't care so much about an over-polished case, you should still only consider this watch at a substantially reduced price, and as mentioned above, it will need repairs. If it has truly been serviced recently, perhaps it is still under warranty, and the seller can have it repaired and tested. Without the regulator screw, it seems extremely unlikely that it has been adjusted to keep good time.

Samir, bardamu and KingCrouchy like this.
  6. DJG2645 Jan 19, 2020

Hi all,

As always thanks so much for your thoughts and comments. It is so valuable being able to reach out to you guys and get your expert opinions.

Looks like I have had a lucky escape here. Phew.

Best wishes
    Dave

wagudc likes this.
  7. Dan S Jan 19, 2020

The good news is that: (1) an excellent vintage Seamaster is well within your ~$900 budget, and (2) similar watches come up on the private sales forum quite often.

DaveK and DJG2645 like this.
  8. Rochete Jan 19, 2020

For a "just overhauled" watch has lots of grime between crystal and bezel.

DJG2645 likes this.
  9. Dan S Jan 19, 2020

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 20, 2020

I will admit I do not look at that seller's FS ads. The descriptions and claims abut condition are somewhat mystical in my mind. I sent a note once about an obviously glaring issue, and the response was his watchmaker told him it was all original so he was sticking with that.

The phrase 'tarted up' pops into my head whenever I stumble across one on Watchrecon.

DJG2645 likes this.
  11. redpcar Jan 20, 2020

If one pays to have a dial refinished, I guess you could legally say "professionally refinished".
    If mint is claimed, it had better damn well be in an unopened box (at least he didn't say "minty").

DaveK, DJG2645 and KingCrouchy like this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 20, 2020

The biggest mystery to me is why he deals via the Private subforum. It gives the impression of a vetted collector who occasionally sells, which does not appear to be the case.

DJG2645 likes this.
  13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 20, 2020

I've been wondering that for years.

KingCrouchy, ConElPueblo and DJG2645 like this.
  14. DJG2645 Jan 22, 2020

Morning all,

I wanted to reach out to thank all of you on here that gave me sterling advice! If it wasn't for this Forum and you kind people I probably would have bought something that wasn't right for what I was looking for!

I am thrilled to say I have purchased a Seamaster that I am over the moon with from someone on the forum that was brillliant, full of advice and got me to reach out to others on here to validate the watch was sound, un-polished and a good price!

This Forum really is excellent!

Cheers,
    Dave

Maskelyne, Samir, Dan S and 2 others like this.