Forums Latest Members

"Poor mans Patek." IWC cal 83 - 1941

1. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 18, 2015

IWC has never been a brand I have focused on. Why? Well - there is only so much even a keen collector can cover, and I have always felt they have been a tad over prized.
    Having said that I have owned a couple of IWC automatics in the past. Great watches, but they have moved on.

IMG_0144.JPG

(pre service shot. Cracked crystal).

The watch I am featuring here came as a parts exchange deal with one of the forums esteemed members.
    When I got it it looked a bit tired, and definitely in need of some TLC.

As the past year has been hectic both as a collector and also professional, the watch was left dormant in my "outbox" until it came up during a GTG a couple of weeks ago.
    Well, of to the watchmaker, and here is what was found:
    01-Back.jpg

01-MovDet.jpg 01-DialSide.jpg

IWC cal 83 is a true beauty IMO. In many ways it resembles the finest of pocket watch movements of the past.
    The Calibre 83 was introduced in 1935. Up to 1947. 69,600 was made. 6,000 were used in the WWW Mark 10 military watch.
    Later the famous cal 89 followed. Maybe an even more successful design, but IMO not as "spectacular". :)

In my watchmakers own words: "... this IWC is as well executed as a Patek Philippe. Super decoration and detailing, and Geneva Seal quality (even though it doesn't have one)."

My cal 83 most likely never saw any wartime action, even if the serial indicates it was "born" in the early years of WW2 - 1941. The case have some unusual and very elaborate lugs, and the dial has a very "Bauhaus" style to it.

I did have some cold feet regarding both the fonts and design of the dial. Fortunately this catalog image (from a 1941 catalog) put and end to my fears.
    Catalog Page.jpg
    Dial:
    01-Complete2.jpg

Needless to say I am a happy man, and looking forward to have this beauty back home.
    :)::psy::

2. marturx Sep 18, 2015

Great story as always Anders! Congrats on a nice gem!

Myself I have been quite ambivalent towards those dress IWC's, finally to decide they are to posh for me. Therefore they all have left me, leaving only the Ingenieur, the Yacht Club and a couple of goldwatches in the collection

Northernman likes this.
  3. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 19, 2015

I follow you on all accounts!
    What cut it for me with this one is the 35mm stainless case and very clean designed dial. And of course the fantastic looking movement.
    I would love an Ingenieur. Being an electrical engineer myself:)

4. rhygin13 Sep 19, 2015

Really nice. I like the font and the hands especially.

Northernman likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2015

Congrats - very nice watch indeed. I would agree with your watchmaker. I just serviced a Cal. 83 for a forum member recently and these are very nice to work on generally. Many people think the Geneva seal is about finishing, and although part of it is about that, it's also about design and construction.

Like Longines of the same era, you won't find cheap wire springs in these watches, but machined parts thinned out to be springs. The build quality is fantastic and something you don't see much in all but the very highest quality modern watches.

BTW I had to do a bit of digging to find a new mainspring, and it wasn't cheap! Double brace and hole end style is not common.

Cheers, Al

6. woodwkr2 Oct 9, 2015

Lugs. Drool.

Northernman likes this.
  7. Audley Yung Oct 10, 2015

one of the most beautfiul lugs i've seen!

Northernman likes this.
  8. hugo Oct 10, 2015

Great watch. And much more value to be appreciated
    Iwc on this gen. Like 83 85 89 was on peak

Northernman likes this.
  9. Landyvlad Nov 17, 2015

Plain face, gorgeous movement.

If ever a watch deserved a clear case back.... LOL

Northernman likes this.