Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex Dec 21, 2015

Curious to hear people's opinions here.

I've read lots of posts recently, where watches are seen as undesirable, because the case has been polished/refinished/cleaned up... Is the general view that all case refinishing is a bad thing?

In my personal case, my Speedmaster MKiii is at STS for a service right now, and will be having work, to return the starburst finish, and fill in a couple dinks... For me this is a positive.

Views from the floor?

2. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 21, 2015

The point is, whereas the the reapplication of a starburst finish might be seen as a return to the former self, many case polishing is not a return but a further removal from the former self, albeit more shiny and without scratches.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 21, 2015

It's a risk. An incompetent polisher can do real damage, both aesthetically and even to the extent of affecting a case's structural integrity. However, if you find a competent polisher, in my opinion, the process can breath new life into tired/unattractive cases. It's a fine line.

In your case, you have a clear idea of what you want done, and I hope it turns out just the way you want it. If so, I imagine that for you own purposes, you will have increased the appeal of the watch. In the end, and leaving aside questions of how this might affect the resale value, that's what matters.

4. Davidt Dec 21, 2015

The only time I think a refinish is ok, is when you have a poor case to start with (badly worn/refinished in the past) and you manage to find a good workshop, familiar with the original finish.
    I've had a 68 Speedmaster refinished at STS because they know what they're doing and the case was a dog when I got it.
    As already mentioned, the problem is when people incorrectly refinish a case, or even when a case has had multiple 'good' refinishes, which removes metal each time and takes away the thickness of the lugs/facets etc.

5. tyrantlizardrex Dec 21, 2015

That's collectively where my thinking is...

It seems there's been a lot of "bling the pants off it, make it shine like tin foil" out there... Vs. Sympathetic refinishing by competent people.

And that's not good. :/

6. Davidt Dec 21, 2015

My default setting is still to not refinish and I avoid watches that either need it, or look like they've had it.

It would need to be a rare reference or a potential beater, as even a good refinish is not spot on and you can almost always tell.

Furthermore, I certainly wouldn't make refinishing a habit, at each service etc. on my 68 transitional, it's been done once and it won't be done again.

7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 21, 2015

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 21, 2015

Please, God, no!
    Before Omega got hold of it
    4c3bdf84-76db-4381-a141-d2783d15e82e_zpse9newxzh.jpg

After
    After Omega Service.jpg

9. tyrantlizardrex Dec 21, 2015

Feeling your pain there... But Simon at STS inspires a level of quiet confidence (plus from what I've seen of their work it's fantastic).

This went in 4 weeks ago... It's well worn and needed some TLC.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cheap as the MKiii goes... And I could have found a better condition one... But I'd have been at over twice the purchase price, and probably scared to wear it.

Interested to see how it ends up, and reassured that they won't go too far.

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. Dgercp Dec 21, 2015

The short answer is.......try not to.

11. tyrantlizardrex Dec 21, 2015

I'm dropping this off this afternoon... Tempted with a re application of the starburst, as it's pretty scruffy.

image.jpeg