Forums Latest Members

Polerouter need help on identification

1. Dansnoppydoo Apr 18, 2021

Hi guys,

I was fishing at local antique shop, the and the owner come up with this Polerouter SS case with black dial, black dial is patinated and it appear very dark red in natural light (hard to spot on camera)

Ofcause, I tried open the case back with my tools, but it loses grip, so i give up after a few time, as i don't wanna risk scratching it. So until now, I have no idea how the movement look like. I did shake it and hand feel the movement of the rotor, and indeed it's the feeling of micro-rotor. (I do own another polerouter 218-2, so i know)

So judging base on the shape of the case, I bet on the movement should be okay, I hope.

I need your help on identify the reference number of this watch, as the reference number engraved on the case has a large scratch, it wiped out certain part of the reference number, it shows 20xxxxx on the upper line (I guess it's a 20357?), and 19248XX at the lower line which i assume it's the serial number

and please can you assess the shape of the case and dial from your POV?

EDIT:
    Is the crown original to this reference?
    Does the dial look "Tropical" to you?

Thank you.

DSC_0257_副本.jpg DSC_0261_副本.jpg DSC_0263_副本.jpg DSC_0264_副本.jpg DSC_0265_副本.jpg DSC_0266_副本.jpg DSC_0268_副本.jpg DSC_0270_副本.jpg DSC_0271_副本.jpg DSC_0272_副本.jpg 20210417_173534.jpg
    Edited Apr 18, 2021
  2. Mazoue Apr 18, 2021

@CafeRacer is the king of identifying Polerouter references but I'm fairly sure that you have correctly identified it as a 20357-1.

The case looks fairly sharp based on these photographs. The crown does not look to be quite the right shape and it does not appear to be signed (all Polerouter crowns were signed) and therefore I'm fairly sure that it is not correct.

I wouldn't personally describe the dial as tropical; it's not the chocolate shade that collectors pay a premium for and is simply patinated.

Dansnoppydoo likes this.
  3. Dansnoppydoo Apr 18, 2021

Hello,

Thank you for the input, it really helps. And i hope @CafeRacer would join us for this lol.

Yes, the crown is not signed and it has a tiny gap between case which i worried moisture might get in, so I need source one and replacing it. But tried Ebay and no luck, do you have an idea or know any member have it and selling it?

As for the dial, it appears dark dim red to naked eyes, and appear chocolate with dots under direct sunlight. But my camera isn't catching those colour. Thats why I feel the need of asking expert haha.

I really hope it's tropical haha, and any idea on valuation? Please ignore me if valuation is inappropriate or forbidden.

Thank you

4. bgrisso Apr 18, 2021

the website that @CafeRacer (and others?) created is a good place to look for parts or post a want to buy (WTB) ad.

https://universalgenevepolerouter.com

tropical is not a clearly defined thing that people can look at a picture and just tell you, it's more subjective and probably requires having the watch in hand and seeing it under a few different light sources. That being said, it does not look tropical to me ;)

value depends a fair bit on movement condition? Is it running, does it need a service? Service on these can get quite expensive sometimes, so if it needs a service, and how much that costs, is an important variable.

fully serviced and with correct crown I might guess value around $1300-$1500 usd, but I could be wrong

Dansnoppydoo likes this.
  5. Dansnoppydoo Apr 18, 2021

Thank you for refering, I will definitely looking for it.

It's a shame that's not a tropical, I was excited about it that it could be, but that's alright, I grab this piece for $650 alone is pretty exciting lol

From what I tested in the last 2 days, it runs fast like 10-20 seconds a day, so I guess have it serviced and replacing crown will just do fine.
    I could be wrong, please correct me if im wrong.

Thank you.

6. bgrisso Apr 18, 2021

again, that's just my opinion on the dial. You might get others that feel it is tropical. at $650 it's a great purchase. That fact that it's running and pretty accurate doesn't mean it should not be serviced, but it does make me think probably just a service, and not parts needed, unless the rotor rub is really bad, which you can check when the case back is off.

congrats !

Dansnoppydoo likes this.
  7. Dansnoppydoo Apr 18, 2021

Noted on that, thank you very much for the advice, it really helps rookie like me.

At this point, doesn't really matter it's Tropical or not, as I have been finding a SS case polerouter with black dial for the last 2 years, finally one with the right price, right condition, and right time come to me.

What a luck man, I can't describe the joy out of it!
    I gonna wear the hell out of it.

Once again, thank you very much :D

bgrisso likes this.