Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Dec 24, 2020

What's going on here ?

upload_2020-12-24_9-51-22.png

2. CafeRacer Dec 24, 2020

:(
    Fortunately the images look like renders - hopefully they never reach production.

Dries likes this.
  3. Dries Dec 24, 2020

not surprising after the massena clone and their record

smiths.png
  4. JwRosenthal Dec 24, 2020

Oh no.
    I have loads of respect for Eddie P and all that’s he’s done. He bought the name rights to Smiths and Precista for which I give him mad props (unlike Messana that just ripped off UG and made veiled references and was even denied model name rights). All of his military repro’s and themed watches are great and deserve respect considering they are in keeping with the brands he owns. I own the PRS-29 and it’s a spectacular watch.
    I will cut him some slack on his Explorer clone- The Everest, as there is the Smiths connection to the Hilary expedition and frankly- Rolex can suck it.
    His Expedition is a truly beautiful and original design based on the original Smiths Deluxe- and that watch deserves all the praise in the world (would love to own one one day). Even some of his other homage watches are nicely done and stray far enough away from being direct copies and in keeping with his brand legacies (although the Willard is a step too close to clone).
    But this- dude....not cool. Smiths didn’t make a watch that looked like a Polerouter- this is flying too close to the sun for me.

5. ZIELSZIEK Dec 24, 2020

I completely agree with what you have said. I feel like the brand has an incredible essence behind it and I have great respect for the owner. I don't know why he keeps diving into homage territory. Well, to cut a long story short I guess they sell...Not even going to mention that when the Everests are out of stock some flipper will try to sell for way over msrp, so they don't only emulate the look of the Explorer...they emulate the buying experience as well, to a limited extend.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 24, 2020

Smiths has some great history of its own. Why cheapen the name building replicas of someone else’s

whats next, a Smiths Submariner?

Scarecrow Boat, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Dec 24, 2020

They already do. The prices current production Timefactors watches are fetching on eBay is insane. He makes them in batch runs- just be patient! 3 years ago nobody but geeky collectors and military watch buffs bought TF watches- now they are a “thing”. I can’t imagine it’s easy dealing with the new breed of clientele he is getting- the fad buyers who expect Amazon delivery speed and return policy.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 24, 2020

Smiths didn’t make a watch that looked like a Daytona either, but here we are.

upload_2020-12-24_9-15-53.jpeg

https://www.timefactors.com/prs32.htm

A modern day Technos.
    gatorcpa

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 24, 2020

I think its wrong to copy without attribution. I also think its wrong to ambush market the way Massina did. The folks who really deserve a flogging however are the one who own the UG brand and are doing nothing with it.

10. olivierw Dec 24, 2020

i agree, but these hommage watches won’t foul any of watches amateurs. In other words, I don’t think they will damage the Polerouter image in any sort :)

11. WhereMadnessLies Dec 24, 2020

Seems like it is going to be called the "WorldMaster" PRS-54 and have a Miyota 9039 powering it. Apparently they have just ordered the prototypes. The design is a complete and utter rip off and some people will be fine with that, I wont be purchasing one though.

It's a bit of a shame really as smiths has a wonderful heritage and seeing it turn into a "Steinhartesk" company seems like a bit of wasted opportunity.

Screenshot 2020-12-24 161525.png
    JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Dec 24, 2020

Yikes! How did I miss that one! I guess I haven’t really stayed tapped in with what TF has been doing for a while. That’s what happens when you focus on actually vintage pieces rather than wannabe vintage pieces.

13. Dan S Dec 24, 2020

When I saw the thread title, I thought it would be about these vintage clones:
    (a @watchdaddy1 post from WUS)

[​IMG]

Caliber561, isnardi, Zapatta and 3 others like this.
  14. JwRosenthal Dec 24, 2020

And since we have disparagingly mentioned the name Massena here a couple times- I can’t help but feel it too closely besmirches the name of a great musician.

Edited Dec 24, 2020
    Larry S likes this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 24, 2020

So long as the dials don’t say “Onega” or “Folex” on them and are not trying to be deceptive, my feeling is that the onus is on the watch companies to get involved if they want to.

These are big companies with armies of lawyers employed around the world. If they choose not to sue, then I can’t be too upset.

Swiss companies have been ripping off designs from other Swiss companies for over a century. Just because the Chinese, Americans, British or Japanese (looking at you, Seiko) do it, is no reason to complain now.

Buy it or don’t buy it. To me, it’s just a watch.
    gatorcpa

patrick1616, sxl2004 and JwRosenthal like this.