Forums Latest Members

"Pocket watches"... out with 'em! Come on, lets see them!

1. RevZMan123 Jul 27, 2022

My attic find after my parents passed -- I assume it was a great-grandparent's 1912 Hamilton. I had the caseback off once to check on the serial number but forgot to take a picture. I have it hanging under glass but don't know much about it. The wear on the back shows it was well used.

PXL_20211204_221728891.jpg
  2. ghce Jul 27, 2022

Here is one I bought in the late 80's, last serviced it in about 1990, doesn't get any use and it's due another service as it's stopped running, I only wind It maybe every couple of years lol.

Can't remember the year but mid 1880's from memory. English of course and sterling silver case.

IMG_20220728_114921.jpg

IMG_20220728_115048.jpg

IMG_20220728_115150.jpg

IMG_20220728_120432.jpg

Edited Jul 27, 2022
  3. Fulton8or Jul 28, 2022

Thanks to members of this forum and TimeZone for filling me in with information regarding this Omega PW that I purchased with a hasty BIN on the auction site. It is Omega cal. 38M-L M=>Mince, thin L=>Lepine 16j serpentine bridges, 38.5mm x 3.15mm, 17'" with only 3,600 produced 1925 - 1927. I asked seller for information and was told that it was simply part of the liquidation of an estate. It came with its original bill of sale from a jeweler in Krakow, Poland 1931. Since purchase, it has been to Bien for restoration and arrived back this week. I carry it today and it is running as if new. Thanks for looking! OmegaPWback.jpg OmegaPWdial.jpg OmegaPWpaper2.jpg OmegaPWsellerback.jpg OmegaPWsellermvmt.jpg OmegaPWSpa3.JPEG OmegaPWSpa7.JPEG OmegaPWSpa9.JPEG

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 28, 2022

Missed this thread up until now.

I've admired pocket watches from afar for years. Had a customer/friend who owned a pawn shop and collected railroad watches gleaned from the railroad town in which we both lived. He tried to get me to take the plunge, but I never did, knowing full well I didn't need another collecting rabbit hole to dive into.

Here on the Forum I began loitering about in the "Calling All Pocket Watch Buffs" thread that Canuck began, looking longingly at the lovely shared images and taken in the lore the pocket watch Forum denizens are providing . https://omegaforums.net/threads/calling-all-pocket-watch-buffs.127856/ More recently TexOmega kicked me off into the rabbit hole despite my best efforts, by providing me with a watch similar to a silver cased Waltham my great grandfather owned. After that I spent 2021 in fun and frolic on Ebay, gun shows, shops, and antique malls gathering pocket watches. Do not have them all serviced yet or even photographed. Two are out for service just now.

The TexOmega Waltham of kindness. With a cool blue laynard provided by DaveK, it's great fun to wear around town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I began reading about pocket watches online and developed an appreciation for the pre-Hamilton Illinois watches. No rhyme or reason for the attraction to Illinois, but they appealed. Particularly the Illinois Sangamo Special. I think it was from the model's name along with the fact that Sangamo Special represented the top of the Illinois line. Oh, and it has the sexiest set of hands I ever saw in a pocket watch. So, I watched Ebay until I found what seemed like a "deal" and picked up one that dates to late 1926, same as my dad did. He was born Christmas Eve that year.

Looks good on a neato DaveK brown lanyard with green stitching and is fun to wear. I need to lose the plastic crystal in favor of a glass crystal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 1915 Burlington (produced by Illionois) scared up last summer in an antique mall in the town where we have relocated. It was gathered in prior to our move even! Purchased for cheap, because it would not run after having been advertised as running, it cranked up soon after I poked it into the watch pocket of my jeans. Would run and keep reasonable time if it was warmed in a pocket so I figured it was lube starved. It's currently away at the spa.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Waltham Vanguard with the wind indicator feature was found in the GasLamp Antique Mall in Nashville last summer when we were up visiting son and family over the week of July 4th. Neither we nor our son knew we'd both be moving within months, but they moved back to their house in Searcy, Arkansas and we moved back closer in to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The twin moves shaved many hours from road trips to see the grand kids. On the other hand, the move denied me going back to that antique mall for another Waltham I had eyed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Elgin Veritas from 1904 was found on Ebay. Has their 270 movement which features a three finger bridge arrangement. Runs decently, but I've avoided wearing it to town until it is serviced.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After acquiring the Sangamo Special I went on to gather up more Illinois models; a Bunn Special, Santa Fe Special, and an A. Lincoln. Thought I was done with Illinois models, but then this one turned up on Ebay for cheap. Not railroad grade, it ended up generating no interest. I found it appealing so won it for cheap because no one else bid. It's an Illinois Capitol model with 21 jewel 606 pendant set movement and the characteristic "red ball" vitreous enamel dial and all put up in a rose gold case. This one was said to be recently serviced and it does run great. This is another watch that now wears a DaveK lanyard in oxblood colored leather which looks nice with the rose gold case. I like his practical and stylish lanyards which don't seem to "saw" on watch cases like a chain can. The lanyards' mystery braiding invites comment.

I have a friend who makes belts and holsters. I passed a DaveK strap on to him attached to a yellow gold filled Hamilton 992 watch. He loves the combination and is intrigued by the braiding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's an ubiquitous Hamilton 992 from 1926. It's all serviced and ticking happily. It was acquired with a bad main spring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But wait!

There's more!

I have to get them photographed before sharing them though.

Edited Jul 28, 2022
  5. ghce Jul 28, 2022

I would love an Illinois Bunn Special but alas they really don't turn up here in NZ so it would be eBay to try and find however the time has passed where I could afford to purchase with the prices somewhat stratospheric compared to 30 years ago when I was buying pocket watches.

DaveK likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 28, 2022

@noelekal, thx for sharing these :cool:. I’m glad that @TexOmega gave you a nudge into pocket watches :thumbsup:. That Burlington Special dial is amazing! Is it dark blue or black? The hands are dope. Dibs on your Vanguard if you ever take leave of your senses and decide to sell :)

TexOmega likes this.
  7. Canuck Jul 28, 2022

@noelekal ,

We need to come to a consensus as to whether pocket watches are addictive, or just habit forming! One of three watches I’m wearing today is my 1911, 18-size, 15-jewel Elgin which many readers are familiar with. It too is on an @DaveK lanyard. Problem: I’m never certain exactly what the time is! :) So, whether pocket watches are an addiction or a habit with you, I am impressed with what you have acquired. Pocket watches really are more interesting than many other forms of collectibles!

Erik_H, Vitezi, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  8. sheepdoll Jul 28, 2022

Pocket watches breed like piano rolls. You get the mama watch together with the papa watch and they have children in the drawer. IMG_3299.png

Sometimes when watch farming one can get lucky and the child will be of some interest. The hardest part is getting them to grow a decent case. I have been in mind to make a see through acrylic case for this problem teenager.

IMG_3300.png IMG_3301.png

-j

9. Canuck Jul 28, 2022

This is an example of what can happen if you let things get out of hand. All running, and set to time. They make an enchanting sound in a quiet room! (Well, there appears to be a couple that aren’t running! But there is a 150 year span between the oldest one, and the newest one. And when setting up this exhibit, there often are a few surprises!)

1BDB2129-E921-4751-BFDA-03149B40320F.jpeg 250B2EEC-E032-4DE3-B3E5-860BBBB539D3.jpeg

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 28, 2022

I think pocket watches are a habit forming addiction.

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 29, 2022

Hi Dave; The dial numeral markings are a blue black while the hands trend to plum. That Burlington ought to be The Bomb when it comes back home with a new glass crystal. Hate it, but the original crystal is just too far gone. The case is fairly brassy, but it's honest wear.

The town in which we live now used to be an interurban stop between Waco and the Dallas Fort Worth area. The station here in town ie now a restaurant.

I'd like to think it was a conductor's watch on that line and originally came from right here, but it just as likely could have been out of an estate sale in Indiana having originally belonged to a clergyman.

http://www.heartoftexastales.com

DaveK likes this.
  12. Canuck Jul 29, 2022

DaveK likes this.
  13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 29, 2022

Nice website, thx for sharing. Great to see town pride and preservation of their history.

Today I’m at the beach reading about abandoned and decommissioned railways in my former neck of the woods, Ontario.

3FCDA718-1DD3-4AC8-AB5A-79DCC8AECF6F.jpeg

Pocket watches, which quickly lead into railway approved pocket watches, rekindled my fascination with railways. I’m on the lookout for a pocket watch from the long-ago watchmaker / jeweller in Sarnia, Ontario, E P Battley. I’ve seen a trench watch online with his name on the dial, but never another, yet.

noelekal likes this.
  14. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 29, 2022

15. red0vitis Aug 2, 2022

They are quite addictive; I have a modest collection of about a dozen Elgin and Hamilton PWs.

Inherited this one from my mother, the initials on the case are my great grandfather's. Inside there is a working Elgin grade 210. The beautiful engraved hunter case was made by Roy.

20220729_093640.jpg 20220729_093651.jpg
    UncleBuck, Alpha, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  16. Fulton8or Aug 5, 2022

Carrying Longine-Niello-Caseback.JPEG Longines-Niello-Dial.JPEG this 1928 Longines Niello today. Hallmarked rose gold bow.

UncleBuck, Alpha, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  17. BrunoCodispoti Aug 10, 2022

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 10, 2022

This old workhorse in service today :thumbsup:

9BC2BB16-0A01-4805-B427-F62FCDD26208_1_201_a.jpeg

19. Canuck Aug 10, 2022

Day 5. The 111 year old Elgin had gained 6 seconds over 4 days. On the fifth day, it has lost 8 seconds, and is now 2 seconds slow! Still pretty good for a grade 317, 15-jewel, 18-size movement of which there were 261,500 made. Not railroad grade.

771BD947-61F0-46E7-BD45-01B31D20F1D7.jpeg

20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 11, 2022

While the freshly taken photos are running amok on the desktop screen, I may as well post them here after already sticking them up elsewhere.

1918 Elgin B. W. Raymond 19-jewel

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg