Forums Latest Members
  1. pltom Apr 6, 2020

Bought this recently, not running and missing crystal the serial number dates it back to about 30s case measures 44mm but can't find any additional info on it, not sure if it's worth investing further money in it.
    Any helps greatly appreciated
    Thanks

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
    TheNewOmegaMan likes this.
  2. alexei.joukovski Apr 6, 2020

Look its probably a converted pocket watch in a modern case. They are called marriage watches.
    The case does not look like an Omega case. Although a photo of the caseback inside would help.

If you had asked whether it's worth buying? Probably not.

However now that you have bought it, why not spend $10 on a crystal - you could probably find a nice domed mineral crystal to fit from CousinsUK and glue it in yourself with some crystal glue. What's the other alternative? Throw it in the bin? That's just silly and you wouldn't get much re-selling it either. Probably $120 US.

The movement would respond to a service easily. It shouldn't cost more than $70-120.

It's a huge movement size so it will look more modern than a 35mm omega moonphase or jumbo.

It has no shock protection so if you drop it or bump it on a doorknob, you can say 'bye bye' to the balance staff. There is no incabloc over the balance end pivot.

I would wear such a watch - many on here would not.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 6, 2020

A re-cased pocket watch movement. Dial has been re-painted.
    It never left the Omega factory in that configuration.
    Do a Google search for "marriage watch".

watchyouwant and Waltesefalcon like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Apr 7, 2020

If you like it and want to wear it, then why not? :)

5. Pvt-Public Apr 7, 2020

Please let me fix a few things for you.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 7, 2020

I wouldn't consider that case as being too modern.
    The style is similar to designs from the 1920s through to the 1950s, the corrosion on the case may also indicate a bit of age.

Interestingly, marriage watches weren't always regarded with disdain (disdain created by the "Ukranian Specials").

As fashions changed and the pocket watch was seen as non-de rigueur by the fashionistas, and as something to be repurposed by the thrifty, many pocket watch movements were put into contemporary wrist watch cases.

I think this was especially prevalent when times were hard and waste was scorned, during the years leading toward (and including) the Great Depression.

But like many horological mysteries from the past, this one shall remain a mystery.

7. kkt Apr 8, 2020

A watch on a chain in a watch pocket was in a fairly safe place. A wristwatch is convenient, but gets bumped more often.