Forums Latest Members
  1. akirafedor Jan 8, 2024

Sorry, I haven't a picture, but recently I saw an Omega spherical watch and I'm wondering if it can be geniune.
    I haven't found any details about such watch but I guess it is a good design so I wouldn't be suprised Omega produced somthing like this.
    It is a simple watch with no complication but the globe allow to magnify the hands. We can see the movoment from the other side wich is also magnified by the globe.
    the clock in a form of ball can roll on your desk.
    Is anyone aware of such design by Omega or other brand?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 8, 2024

Are you thinking of this?

They are all completely fake.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg

pmontoyap and DaveK like this.
  3. akirafedor Jan 8, 2024

Those ones are fake but is there any real ones?

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 8, 2024

I've never seen what you are describing which was actually made by Omega.

5. Canuck Jan 8, 2024

Terrible fake out of Central Europe! Probably a Russian made movement. I hope you didn’t buy it!

6. akirafedor Jan 8, 2024

And something like this?

H22814-L357016382_original.jpg
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 8, 2024

Looks like a possibly genuine Omega pocket watch, but again I don't believe it left the Omega factory with that bulbous domed crystal. Perhaps one of our pocket watch experts will weigh in.

8. akirafedor Jan 8, 2024

ok thanks. It could be a pocket watch transformed later indeed.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 8, 2024

Omega did indeed make "crystal ball" watches, but they were intended for use as desk clocks, not pocket watches.

The one you posted the photo of looks genuine but I'd like to see the back side to be sure.

IMG_2924.JPG

pmontoyap, Vitezi, X350 XJR and 4 others like this.
  10. OMTOM Jan 8, 2024

Jim is absolutely correct – and the page from AJTT explains it all.

The Omega ‘Goliath’ calibres used were (initially – from 1894) the 30’’’ and later the 27’’’8-day. These were produced in many forms: although in a ‘pocket watch’ appearance, they were of course too large for a pocket and were intended for display. Whereas a typical pocket watch would have a diameter of about 50 mm, the ‘basic’ Goliath had a diameter of 75 mm (about 3 inches) – and then with a spacer they were 30/40’’’ (diameter about 110 mm, about 4½ inches) and 30/60’’’ (a ‘dinner plate’ at about 140 mm, 5½ inches). Many of these were made. Later there were similar versions of the 27’’’8-day.

The Omega crystal ball (which is what the OP asks about) was produced from 1894 and carried on over about 15 years – and for @X350 XJR they certainly DID leave the factory like this. It used the 30/40’’’ (and later the 27/40’’’). The Omega reference was 9218 – and of course they appear in the Omega Archive.

Below is an image of one of the crystal hemispheres – and the rims press onto the central 30/40’’’ case (which is shown in the page from AJTT).

As with all the early Omega productions, they were not marked Omega until later (another story!) – but these crystal balls were certainly part of the regular production line. Again as pointed out above, there are many cheap modern fakes (with dials which show a fake ‘Omega’) – the giveaway is the second hand which didn’t feature in 1894!

As shown in AJTT, there was an optional heavy support (the half moon was made in brass, the cobra version in bronze): the watch was suspended by its bow. However, as an alternative to this support, the rear (movement) crystal had a ‘slice’ on which the ball could rest (to stop it rolling) – as can be seen in my image with the ruler. The problem was that many of the watches would have rolled (off the slice!) – and with others, the rims holding the crystal hemispheres will have given way, which led to broken glass: so although many were made, there are not so many to be found nowadays (hence the post above “I’ve never seen what you are describing…”).

TC crystal ball a.jpg

TC crystal ball b.jpg

There are other threads which highlight the fakes. It seems Omega is not interested in chasing them:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/is-...d-aka-fake-busters.43911/page-60#post-1377336

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fake-ferrari-fake-omega.164828/#post-2249697

https://omegaforums.net/threads/french-auction-house-offering-fake-omega-crystal-ball.121801/

Edited Jan 8, 2024
    Dsloan, pmontoyap, Vitezi and 4 others like this.
  11. Pastorbottle Jan 8, 2024

When you think about it, a spherical watch would be bloody uncomfortable in your pocket.
    So being a desk item makes more sense.
    Maybe a pendant watch for the ladies, but I can see little practical application for a spherical watch.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 8, 2024

And this is why I love this place, always something to learn and I even have a copy of AJTT.

Dsloan, 140dave, OMTOM and 1 other person like this.
  13. akirafedor Jan 9, 2024

Thank you, that's a lot of information and incredibly useful.

OMTOM likes this.