Forums Latest Members
  1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 10, 2021

We periodically see this reply to sales posts here and elsewhere, but I must admit I have never understood the reasons for it. Are you encouraging other buyers to jump in quickly with competing offers? Trying to fend off competitors while you make a low-ball bid? Staking out your turf as the alpha buyer?

What exactly do you hope to accomplish? ::confused2::

Or maybe it's as simple as "buck fever".

Edited Apr 10, 2021
  2. Dan S Apr 10, 2021

Humor? ;)

[Maybe some people are bad about checking their PMs. On this forum, I find they are flagged really clearly and there is an email notification. On other forums, sometimes I don't even notice.]

Syrte, LesXL, JohnSteed and 4 others like this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 10, 2021

PM sent!

Kmart, abrod520, alam and 9 others like this.
  4. cvalue13 Apr 10, 2021

In theory, it may have originated from an anxiety that someone may not see or check their inbox - so, alerting also on the sales thread intends to amplify the signal.

I think this was more likely on other platforms where PMs where not always subject to the same user notifications or obviousness in the interface.

Here, PM notifications are just as obvious as thread posts, so - it may reduce to “buck fever” or “forum habit”

M'Bob and Foo2rama like this.
  5. SkunkPrince Apr 10, 2021

More obvious if you consider the email notification you get!

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 10, 2021

Also mail boxes show more recent messages first, with earliest messages being pushed down.
    So it’s also a way of emphasizing the timing of the response.

Woops, pweingarten, JohnSteed and 2 others like this.
  7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 10, 2021

Sold!

Darlinboy and eugeneandresson like this.
  8. Evitzee Apr 10, 2021

Correct etiquette is OHPF, in case the buyer flakes, or comes to his senses after 'the talk' with the wifey.

Gefa, Capt Cave Man and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 10, 2021

It’s a way of informing the seller that you have made an offer and to check their messages.

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 10, 2021

Staking the claim...

wsfarrell, DaveK, marcn and 1 other person like this.
  11. ATWG Apr 10, 2021

I find it humorous, I mostly see it with 'transient' members here on OF who are active on other Rolex forums. I personally, think it's unnecessary and tacky. How desperate can one really be in buying a watch??

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 10, 2021

I suppose some of that logic makes sense re. notifications etc and perhaps an artifact of "bulletin board" days gone by.

My assumption is sellers want to sell the item, and are regularly checking for offers/questions/respnses. Messaging/notifications/emails are time stamped anyway, and if a seller is not taking note of response order, a public post isn't likely to help.

Most likely outcome IMHO is enhancing FOMO and upping competition.

Maybe I'll go put up a few "PM sent" posts but not follow through, that might be amusing anyway. :whistling:

13. JohnSteed Apr 10, 2021

Could also be the virtual string around the finger. A reminder ... Who knows? If it works for some .... ok

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 10, 2021

Well that’s your opinion man!

I do it to denote I’m the one buying it and give visual support of the seller. Also putting it on record I’m the one buying it, in case of future interest.

Too many watches get sold to members and most times we never have a record of who purchased it.

I have also gone back into old sales posts and entered information about the watches I’ve uncovered since I purchased it. This is because a few pieces are so poorly documented the sales post is the top result. Sometimes over a year later.

Edited Apr 10, 2021
    Dor_42, LuckyLes, NGO1 and 4 others like this.
  15. lillatroll Apr 10, 2021

On one occasion I Pm’d a seller about a watch strap I wanted to buy. A few days later he sent a message saying he had not noticed my message and sold it to someone who enquired after myself. (Obviously the other message was above mine in the inbox list and he sold the strap before seeing my message) I think putting a message on the sales thread might be a sensible way of alerting the seller that you are interested in buying the watch. i don’t think there is anything more to it than that.

Traveler and Nobel Prize like this.
  16. Dan S Apr 10, 2021

That could create all kinds of chaos. ::bleh::

17. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 10, 2021

I suppose it might be considered the next stage nearer buying than 'dibs', in a "I am the first in the queue" kind of a way, perhaps to discourage others.

18. JohnSteed Apr 10, 2021

Good point @Foo2rama which helps show members working together on OF. Also ... This week I had the PM sent put in my FS listing which I otherwise would not see, because the PM came to me hours later. So the guy who wrote PM sent in the listing got the watch.

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 10, 2021

it does make sense in case someone else bids and get attention first. This way you claim you had first dibs.

It's not that bad a practice really.

Edited Apr 10, 2021
    S.H. and JohnSteed like this.
  20. ATWG Apr 10, 2021

I’d say this is more the exception than the norm...man.

Darlinboy and Foo2rama like this.