Plug your watch/clock/horological groups

My wife recently surprised me with a membership to the Horological Society of New York. Apparently she wanted to do something nice for me and learned about the history of this group on the internet. Obviously this was incredibly sweet and thoughtful of her, but I have to admit I had never heard of this particular society (despite the fact that it has a long history), perhaps because we do not live anywhere near NY. In any case, they have a web presence, and perhaps I will be able to take advantage of some of their online benefits. And the membership came with a lovely lapel pin and membership certificate on high quality card-stock. 😁

Well, this led me to thinking about other groups. I have joined a few clubs and meet-up groups, and even tried to maintain a small local group myself for a while (it lapsed during COVID), but the only one I have really enjoyed and stuck with is our local NAWCC chapter. Before COVID, we met monthly for brunch, and it was a great opportunity to chat and network with other local collectors, share information, and buy/sell/trade. During COVID, we have gone back and forth between local meetups (when safe) and zoom gatherings otherwise. Our local chapter organizer has done a fantastic job at choosing interesting themes for the zoom meetings, even inviting guest experts and preparing presentations. It's a great group.

What horology-related groups do you enjoy?

For years I was a member of the AWCI, however after a "palace coup", years of infighting, and the departure of the person who taught me a lot of what I know, I dropped my membership. Supposedly "the" industry association for watchmakers in North America (there is nothing at all in Canada), it refuses to advocate for the largest issue watchmakers face - access to parts.

I am, still a member of the Chronometer Club, which was a group within the AWCI that sort of broke away. At the time I joined, you had to be "worthy" enough to be nominated by someone to join, and my instructor did that. Activity there is very minimal for the most part.

There is a group mailing list sort of thing called Horological Matters that I am a member of - mostly watchmakers bitching about the AWCI and the lack of parts access from watch companies. People ask technical questions and ask for parts from other watchmakers, and then there are the same few people who air the same old grievances over and over again.

Never joined the NAWCC, as that is more of a collector thing than a watchmaker thing.

I've watched a few of the HSNY's videos, which have been quite interesting.

Cheers, Al

I’m a member of the Antiquarian Horological Society based in London, it has groups that focus on wristwatches, turret clocks, electrical time keeping and more! Plus a huge digitised archive of (I think?) over 100 years of peer reviewed journals, and 4 new ones published a year.

Think it’s £60 a year to join (a little more for overseas) and throughly worthwhile.

https://www.ahsoc.org/

Cool pin. I've watched several.of the HSNY videos and wondered what it'd be like to sit in the audience. Now that you're a member, you need to attend a meeting in person and ask a question at the end of a lecture, somehow working in the forum. Something like, "I read on the Omega Forum that ....; is that true, what are your thoughts?"

I joined the NWACC after visiting the museum but haven't been active. Few local friends and this forum scratch my itch. Plus YouTube videos. Nothing to inspire or emulate.

EDIT: That came out wrong. The OF is inspirational. Friends too.
Edited:

I am a member of Omega Forums.

And there are quite a lot of nice folks here, along with the usual handful of asshats.

To be clear, I am plugging the former. 👍

Does “Time For A Pint” count?