Forums Latest Members

Horological Happening: From Radium to Super LumiNova

1. mzinski Sep 27, 2021

I’ll qualify this with, I’m just a member of this organization. I don’t in any way profit from promoting it - except connecting with more watch nerds.
    I wanted to put out a plug for NAWCC ( https://www.nawcc.org/ )National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. For those of you unaware, in addition to the National organization, there are two local chapters where I live here in the Seattle area. There are local chapter in many cities across the US and some international groups. Their monthly meetings typically include a mart (buy/sell watches/clocks), business meeting, and some kind of informational presentation (history, collections, specific pieces, and/or technical watchmaking). Our local chapter also does a lot with the local watchmaking schools. They're passionate about horology and always looking to bring in new, young members. You should consider joining.
    Our local group has been meeting virtually throughout the pandemic - occasionally bringing in members from around the world for various speakers.
    I’m particularly excited about our upcoming meeting/presentation:
    Date: October 2, 2021
    Title: ZOOM Seattle #135 “From Radium to Super-LumiNova”
    Learn More:
    On SATURDAY, October 2, at 1PM PDT, Albert Zeller of RC TriTec in Switzerland, will discuss the history of luminescent compounds used in watches and clocks and the gradual migration from radium to tritium to current technology, including what lies ahead. RC TriTec is a major supplier of the luminous products to the world wide horological industry. They are a leader in R&D in this field and will give us some idea of what the future of luminescent technology will look like.

If you’re interested in checking this out, please make sure you’re a NAWCC member (local, national, or both) and email Jack Goldberg [email protected] to receive the ZOOM link.