Forums Latest Members
  1. isgrb Oct 10, 2020

Looking to add a black dial Ploprof to the collection but struggling between steel or titanium. I know purists prefer steel but I’m not so tied to the original model (other than the black dial) and I know titanium fans like less weight but a heavy watch doesn’t bother me (I’m wearing a Deepsea as I type this).

There are essentially two distinguishing features about each that I’m weighing, I prefer the sapphire cap bezel on the steel over the ceramic on the titanium but I prefer the dark grey look of the titanium over the steel. As for the difference in case back, I actually like both and think I would be happy either way.

Any owners out there want to share their thoughts? Non-owners with advice or an opinion welcome as well!

2. arkman Oct 10, 2020

The best way to figure this one out is to put them on side by side. The weight is going to be what makes your decision. I am not saying that means you will pick the titanium, just that the heft or lack thereof is what is going to make the watch "fit" on your wrist.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. isgrb Oct 11, 2020

Normally I agree but unfortunately Omega apparently has discontinued the steel version so I can only find it used (barring NOS) and very few ADs actually have titanium Ploprofs in stock. So, unfortunately in person side by side comparisons is not really feasible.

4. Gruesome Oct 11, 2020

Why not mock it up with a heavy watch you already have and a quarter pound of (lead-free) solder? The solder is fairly dense, pliable, and soft so it shouldn't scratch the watch when wrapped around. Or maybe your AD has a gold or platinum watch that might be in the right range. Not the platinum speedmasters though that supposedly weigh in at a pound; not a good stand-in for the 280 gram steel ploprof.
    How much does the titanium ploprof actually weigh?

I have an Omega and a Seiko that each weigh 180 gram (with steel band and adjustable clasp), and I'm not sure I'd want to go much higher.

Edited Oct 11, 2020
  5. isgrb Oct 11, 2020

My Deepsea weighs 212 grams which is heavy but not too bad. It’s my understanding that the titanium weights around 175 so still a bit of presence on the wrist. That’s with the bracelet of course.

One other difference I forgot to mention, the steel has the date complication but the titanium does not. I actually like both options equally so not a deal breaker either way for me. The date is convenient to have but a no-date is also cleaner symmetry wise so I’d be good either way. I like that the date on the steel is kind of hidden away at 4 o’clock, very Sinn like.