Forums Latest Members
  1. rohada Mar 18, 2021

I haven't seen too much commentary on the Ploprof watches, so I thought I’d share my experiences from wearing mine for a month or so. Hope it’s helpful for those who may be entertaining buying one to wear for daily use, or something close to it. YMMV. My Ploprof is steel construction. I’ve always loved the industrial look of this watch and wanted one for my collection, even if it meant not wearing it that much compared to my five other Omega watches and two Heuer watches (Monaco and Monza, re-issues). Make no mistake this is a big watch and a relatively heavy one at that. However, I find that the mass manifests itself in a useful way for my needs. The weight reminds me that I have the watch on. This is welcoming when walking through my house (working from home due to Covid), because it has become second nature to be more mindful of door jambs. Familiarity breeds contempt in my case, as I move quickly through my home. While I try to be cognizant of this fact for the sake of all my watches, I still occasionally clip the door jamb simply because I forget I’m wearing a watch due to the lack of mass associated with my other (much lighter by comparison) watches. I mentioned that mine is a steel watch. I tried on a titanium model at the OB in NY. It is noticeably lighter, which you may find advantageous. But, for me, I would lose the reminder that I'm wearing a heavier watch and thus find myself in a vicious cycle with the door jamb all over again. For some, the weight can clearly be a distraction and for those, I would not recommend wearing it for daily use. The door jamb issue is amplified by the height of the watch off the wrist. It is considerably taller than my Speedmaster and other Seamasters.

My wrist is just under 7”, maybe 6-3/4”. I’m 6’-3” tall with a slim build. The Ploprof is noticeably larger on my wrist than my other watches. As such, I think it looks best paired with a long sleeve shirt/sweater. I have worn it with a T-shirt and found it to not be disproportionate to my overall frame. When viewing it as a close up on my smallish wrist, I would say it looks a bit overwhelming. At the end of the day, regardless of your stature, a watch is a watch and if you like it, you should wear it accordingly.

The shark mesh bracelet is a winner. Very comfortable. I have rather hairy arms and have not experienced hair pull, as I have on a few of my other Omega watches with bracelets. The clasp is chunky, but befitting a watch of this size. This watch gets attention, whether it’s good or bad. As a Ford F150 owner, I correlate the Ploprof to a Ford Raptor. Though the Raptor is not the most expensive F150 you can buy, it is the most audacious. Audacious is certainly one word you can use to describe the Ploprof. And for me, another word would be livable. Again, YMMV. I hope others with a Ploprof will chime in, as it may prove helpful to others who are on the fence.

Omega Ploprof 2.jpg

2. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 18, 2021

I’ve always been a fan. Nice review.

maskwp likes this.
  3. Speede Mar 18, 2021

Thanks for the write up, I have always liked this watch but never tried one on, I do like it on an orange strap but thats just personal preference, maybe one day....

4. NGO1 Mar 18, 2021

Nice review.
    At 6’3” you can pretty much rock wrist blings of any size. (Read in an envious tone)
    Looks great.
    I love the Ploprof. Wish Omega offers this beast at 40mm and eat Panerai’s lunch.

I don’t need another Speedy LE. I’ll take a 40mil Ploprof any day.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2021

I’ve seen Karina from Fratello posting pics of her wearing one recently and it works really well on her, doesn’t look excessive at all.

6. scapa Mar 18, 2021

Very interesting take on an iconic watch I've long admired but rarely seen in person -- tried on a few at the OB in NYC last year and loved it, though it's definitely a watch that needs the right wrist.

7. Omega-Q Mar 18, 2021

I'd change the title of your thread from "Living with a Ploprof" to "You're not living until you have a Ploprof"! :). I've been eyeing it over the past year...but Snoopy got in the way. It is.certainly a dream watch...orange bezel for me....! Thanks for the nice writeup!

Foo2rama and Taddyangle like this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 18, 2021

Excellent little essay, thanks for taking the time to write it and share it. This watch has always been on my “ someday” list, just haven’t made the leap yet.

9. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 18, 2021

Had never noticed the orientation of the numerals inside the date window before... Wonder if it wouldn't work better at 7:30 instead of 4:30? [Edit: Left wrist bias, of course! :) ]

10. Om3ga321 Mar 18, 2021

I agree with you Rohada.
    I love my Ploprof in steel.
    I wear PO 43.5mm and Tag Carrera 44 mm ,so love the big watches.
    For such a big watch it wears very comfortably.

11. cknight24 Mar 19, 2021

I think the Ploprof is ridiculous and over the top looking, and I totally want one.

12. cvalue13 Mar 19, 2021

In this instance, the left wrist is the “intended” wrist for wear when diving - and why the Ploprof has its crown at 9 instead of 3 (ie, this is not a “destro” orientation but instead a dive orientation)

Omega-Q likes this.
  13. maskwp Mar 19, 2021

The Ploprof is one of these watches I have a deep admiration for. I like everything about it, the design, the total over engineering, it is THE true tool watch. I always appreciate if I see someone (mainly on IG) who is wearing one. That said, I will never own one as it looks ridiculous on me - I tried one in a boutique just for fun and well, it was fun but it was also enough for me. But again, a very cool piece with great history and very unique aesthetics! I think it looks cool on your wrist!

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 19, 2021

I'm a huge ploprof fan.
    IMG_20160321_130611.jpg

15. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 20, 2021

Ha those are so good. Great picture as well! Do you wear the 600 in water still? I always hear such mixed reviews on that.

16. Ralvari Mar 20, 2021

I love it. I use to wear in summer period and/or it's the most usual one that came with me when I dive
    IMG_4170.jpg

SpeedyMcNasty and maskwp like this.
  17. Jockywilson1 Mar 20, 2021

For me it’s a lottery watch, love the design and the retro appeal but know I’d never wear it. So the only way I’m buying one is after a lottery win.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2021

The thing that makes these so good to wear is lug to lug its not actually that big, which is why even small wrists can get away with it far more so than even something like a Dark side of the Moon Speedmaster. The bracelet counterbalances the head very well and the only dimension of the watch that sticks out is the crown side which is pointing along your arm anyway and doesn’t get in the way. The side closest to your hand isn’t that big at all and it doesn’t get in the way. It’s surprisingly ergonomic for a watch that looks like it would be clumsy in the wrist.

Omega-Q likes this.
  19. M'Bob Mar 20, 2021

Tried the Paleo diet?