Forums Latest Members

DSOTM Ceramic buckle vs titanium clasp

1. ElHeffe Jan 29, 2017

Just bought myself a DSOTM that came with the ceramic buckle. I think it's the better choice as far as durability, but I'd love the convince of the titanium clasp. Is it true that the ceramic should hold up to scratches better over time than the titanium would? I can live with the ceramic if it's indeed more durable, but if they're about the same, I think I'd go with the titanium deployment buckle.

Hamshirescott likes this.
  2. AnotherDon Jan 29, 2017

Even if the ceramic were more durable than a titanium clasp (which I seriously doubt), I'd switch to the clasp in a heartbeat. For me a tang-type pin buckle is just an excuse for a drop of the watch that is just waiting to happen. I have several watches that I have switched to deployant type clasps because of the ease of handling. I have even traded off an IWC Ingenieur chronograph because I couldn't figure out how to change the tang buckle to a deployant clasp at a reasonable cost.

Just my $0.02 Your mileage may vary.

3. w.finkenstaedt Jan 29, 2017

Ceramic will hold up to scratches better than titanium, that's 100% certain. As far as drops, the ceramic will break at the point titanium would dent.

That said, for the OP: the foldover clasp for the DSOTM is ceramic on the exterior, titanium for the interior (as the blades of the deployant clasp need to flex). I'd definitely do that, but it will require a new strap as well.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  4. ElHeffe Jan 29, 2017

I didn't look until now, but I was amazed that someone made a Youtube video showing the two as well as a mini-review.

As much as I hate the buckle, the gloss of it is very appealing. I'll be taking your advice and getting the deployment though. The prices were a bit surprising though.

Buckle: $480
    Deployment: $420
    Strap: $280

Evitzee, iatacs19 and zizou73 like this.
  5. night0wl Jan 29, 2017

Those prices are right. If you get the titanium and ceramic deployant I believe it's around $650-$700 on top of the $280 strap, add taxes of course.

The deployant is much nicer than a tang and buckle. Did you happen to buy this from a boutique ?

6. ElHeffe Jan 30, 2017

I bought it from one of the AD in town. I always visit once a month or so just to see what they have. I never give the BSOTM serious consideration as I thought that I liked the Deep Black PO better. After seeing the DSOTM close up, I was throughly impressed and decided to go with it. I really surprised myself as I typically like heavier watches too.

AD is taking care of me as far as the deployment though. They took care of me (my 3rd Omega from them) and having the store GM on-hand helped sweeten the deal as well. :thumbsup:

7. midimanwatch Jan 30, 2017

8. ElHeffe Jan 30, 2017

9. night0wl Jan 31, 2017

Ahhh very cool. It's nice when you have an AD that can work with you on straps, etc My AD's just point me to the boutiques. I'd love to not have to pay full retail on a lot of their straps. I have a strap problem lol

10. richard371 Jan 31, 2017

I have the original DSOTM and went with the pitch black strap and ceramic deployment and never looked back. Makes the watch much safer and easier to take on and off, looks much classier. Yes it was not a cheap combo but basically what the tax is on a DSOTM.

11. midimanwatch Jan 31, 2017

I have the Pitch Black and am replacing my leather strap with the original DSOM fabric strap.

12. ElHeffe Jan 31, 2017

I wished that Omega listed the clasp as ceramic/titanium instead of just titanium. One of my initial turnoffs for the clasp was that I'd be replacing the ceramic buckle with a metal clasp (on a ceramic watch). Now that I understand that it's ceramic coated titanium, it's fine but origionally thought it would be just titanium and didn't want it because I'd scratch it up.

13. richard371 Jan 31, 2017

The clasp is ceramic and the inside part that fold and not exposed to anything are titanium. Nothing is coated. Ive had mine for over a year and not a single scratch on any part. Very pleased with he design and quality.