Forums Latest Members

Please name a movie in which a watch figured prominently?

1. Gstp Jun 26, 2019

Pink Bob Geldof, is wearing an Ingersoll Mickey Mouse watch in one of the great films of the 80s, "The Wall" :D
    images.jpeg

Thrasher36 likes this.
  2. Shabbaz Jun 26, 2019

I'm watching the end scene of godfather III. Anyone knows which watch? This was the best I could do.

20190626_224735.jpg 20190626_224746.jpg 20190626_224740.jpg
    Thrasher36 likes this.
  3. Dualmonitors Sep 11, 2019

In Mr Robot, the Evil Corp IT guy said: "is that a Vacheron you're wearing?"

i thought that was pretty prominent! ;)

Thrasher36, ajn3323 and pnwyankee like this.
  4. Professor Sep 11, 2019

Morland Holmes, father of Sherlock in the TV series "Elementary", wore a Patek Phillipe Calatrava (1937 Gold sub second). After he was murdered they traced the killers because one took the watch and tried to sell it to an Indian watch maker.
    Since the corpse was destroyed by an explosion and the killers were professional mercenaries who were later killed by the man who hired them, I suspect Morland had bought them off beforehand and arranged to fake his own death, sacrificing his easily recognized watch to confirm his death. He may have even been the one who killed the mercs he bribed.
    John Noble always played a tricky SOB.

Thrasher36, allwoundup and Pun like this.
  5. Kraut783 Sep 11, 2019

TAW.JPG
    The American

MTROIS and Thrasher36 like this.
  6. Walrus Sep 11, 2019

Not a movie but a great man and his Patek. God I think Yoko got him that for his 40th b-day. He was shot not long after, this pic could have been the same year
    upload_2019-9-11_23-14-4.png upload_2019-9-11_23-14-4.png

Thommas likes this.
  7. larryganz The cable guy Sep 11, 2019

How does that watch winder even do anything?

8. larryganz The cable guy Sep 11, 2019

1992 - Leap of Faith with Steve Martin - I'm drawing on details from memory because I can't find a youtube clip to confirm, but I believe this is correct.

Steve plays a hustling preacher grifter just out for the money, and he wears a solid gold Rolex. One time, to make a point that it's not about the money but rather salvation, he smashes the watch and drops the pieces in a glass of water. Later, he goes into a drawer full of gold watch and pulls out another one and puts it on - they're all fakes.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 21.43.30.png

EDIT - it's a zip lock baggie full of gold watches, that he reaches into right after they leave the diner where he smashed the first watch to make a point. Debra Winger's character makes him remove the watch before they talk to the sheriff so it won't piss him off to "wear a years salary on the wrist".

IMG_1846.jpeg

Also, at the beginning, when they're stopped for speeding he makes a point of taking off his watch and rings, gets out of the ticket, and then is seen putting his gold watch back on. He fiddles with it a few times during the movie, I think.

Edited Sep 11, 2019
  9. pnwyankee Sep 11, 2019

Yes, a truly great man.
    I actually believe he tried to deliver a message to us and most of us couldn't hear him
    Sad for us that he left before we got it

Walrus likes this.
  10. mzinski Sep 12, 2019

Skiptrace with Jackie Chan seemed to be an hour long advertisement for Panerai.

upload_2019-9-11_22-21-31.jpeg

upload_2019-9-11_22-23-28.jpeg

Omegafanman and Thrasher36 like this.
  11. JesterP Sep 12, 2019

Gambler_02.jpg

Marky Mark Whalberg trying pawn his Omega Seamaster in The Gambler not sure what reference. Personally think it's a great film and very funny when he is dealing with the jewellers.

Thrasher36 and janice&fred like this.
  12. llvhhui Sep 12, 2019

It’s not a movie but this yacht master was featured throughout the entire series.
    EEE06BDF-654B-47EE-AFA8-005134046302.png

Thrasher36, chronos and 03Hemi like this.
  13. drhombus24 Sep 12, 2019

JLC in "Doctor Strange"
    [​IMG]

14. Professor Sep 12, 2019

I think it works to give a large number of watches a gentle natural movement. Should be simple to make as well. All the collection are open to view as well.
    A good quality self winding watch should not require much movement to stay wound just enough to keep it running.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 12, 2019

No, it’s a fantasy set up. And that’s not the amount of power put into watches to stay wound. It depends on the watch but about 650 rotations a day is the low end, and you need gravity to move the weight. Laying flat like Dr Strange would do nothing to wind a watch.

larryganz likes this.
  16. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 12, 2019

Thrasher36, Readiness77 and larryganz like this.
  17. Professor Sep 12, 2019

Gravity is not necessary otherwise self winders wouldn't work in space. Inertia is enough. A slight movement clock wise or counter clockwise then stop and the rotor would continue to move in that direction until resistance from the spring overcame inertia. Those movements that wind in either direction could be turned in one direction then the other.
    Gravity can add power to the rotor but also bleed power away from it.
    As I remember it, and I might be wrong, the table also rocked slightly.
    If the table in the film is a mock up the basic design could still work in real life.

PS thinking on it a bit more I'm wondering if the rocking motion may have come from the table being raised from vertical in the closed drawer to horizontal when opened for easier access.

I've also seen a winding table where the watches were laid out flat on a felt cover, the table both oscillating and rocking very slightly at the same time. I Don't remember what film that was in.

A PPS
    Think on it, in wearing a watch does it ever turn in a vertical plane?
    No it rocks side to side or moves to one side or the other then stops and most likely moves in the opposite direction.
    Even if walking with arms swinging freely at your sides it still doesn't rotate. It moves in an arch one way then the other with inertia only working to swing the rotor one way then the other or completely around. Inertia holding it on the upswing, gravity pulling it on the downswing, or vice versa.

Whenever I want to wear my older style Orient Tri-star ,without the hand winding option, I first simply swing it lightly back and forth in the horizontal plane, rocking slightly before setting and buckling it on. A few swings load the spring enough that further natural movement is enough to keep it running if I'm active that day. Instructions say that in order for the watch to run all night while you sleep you must first have worn it for at least 8 hours before removing it for the night in order to build up a reserve of power in the mainspring.

Edited Sep 12, 2019
    janice&fred and larryganz like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 12, 2019

Take any watch you own with a display back. Rotate the watch in a perfect horizontal position, and observe the weight does not move. In space there is movement vectors.

19. Professor Sep 12, 2019

I've watched the rotor swing just as I've said it will without the watch being rotated at all, just swung lightly in the horizontal plane.
    I've watched this with a display back and with case back removed.
    Its can be a hassle at times adjusting the timing with the rotor swinging back and forth at the slightest tilting motion.

As I said earlier you don't just rotate the watch in one direction for inertia to have its effect, though when the watch is completely run down it can for the first few turns.
    The table should oscillate or tilt one way then the other mimicking the movement of the wrist.
    The watch can rotate even a half turn or less in one direction then reverse and achieve the inertia effect.
    just tilting the watch will result in the rotor moving.
    Also the rotor of the older bumper movements have to move in one direction then the next.

I added a couple of post scripts while you were posting check them out. And remember your watch never rotates on your wrist no matter how you wear it or move.

janice&fred and larryganz like this.
  20. alam Sep 12, 2019

One possible Rolex Sub being showcased in the TV series "Combat" One great TV show it was by the way.

Photo and text courtesy of a member in the Dive Watch Connection

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 11.02.29 PM.png