Forums Latest Members
  1. Regan888 Mar 20, 2023

Hi, can you help me identify whether the watch is legit? To me, it seems OK, but I do not have a photo of the movement. What do you think? Are there fakes of the midsize?

omega.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 20, 2023

Nothing wrong with that I can see.

3. sathomasga Mar 20, 2023

Those photos don't trigger any alarms, but they don't provide a lot of information either. If you're considering purchasing this, be sure to account for other data that you haven't shared here. Is the price too good to be true? What is the seller's reputation? What protections are available to you (both from the platform and from your payment method)? The lack of movement pictures and (presumably) the seller's unwillingness to acquire any might be a red flag.

I'd also note that it's not too difficult to find many examples of this reference for reasonable prices. So if you're the least bit suspicious about this purchase, there are plenty of other opportunities.

Aroxx, Duracuir1 and Regan888 like this.
  4. Regan888 Mar 20, 2023

Thank you for your comment. The price is on the lower side...But If the case and the bracelet is correct, and the replica one would be obvious from the case and bracelet, then what further information do I need. Yes I would love to see the movement that's for sure.

The watch is running so the movement is not broken, anyway service would be appreciated despite the fact whether I see the movement or not... And maybe the replaced parts of the movement? Inside the watch is lets say generic ETA movement, so it does not affect originality in my eyes. even in that scenario.

Do you disagree? I would like to hear other opinions.
    Best regards.

5. Sa Calobra Mar 20, 2023

It's indeed a bit hard to assess this. May I ask what the asking price is? As mentioned above, plenty of those available, also in good condition, without scratches on the bezel.
    A related watch (I know, not the same) is the one I have below. Also mid size and from the 90s. Bought it from a Japanese seller and looked new, apart from the orange lume plots which are great (just like the ones on your model).

[​IMG]

6. Regan888 Mar 20, 2023

1600 EURO

7. Regan888 Mar 20, 2023

Very nice watch. Mid-size is the best size for me. I am trying to avoid import fees.

8. sathomasga Mar 20, 2023

Price seems high, especially for that condition. Search on eBay for "Omega Seamaster Boys" and you'll find many for less and in better condition. I should add that I'm unfamiliar with EU import taxes, so factor that into any international purchase.

Edited Mar 20, 2023
  9. sathomasga Mar 20, 2023

Also, if you're not interested in the movement, there's a quartz version of this reference with identical dial (though text differs), hands, case, bracelet, etc. That should be significantly less expensive. If my memory is correct, I think I've recently seen those for sale in good condition for around $900.

To help your search, the automatic version is reference 2551.80 and the quartz version is reference 2561.80.

Edited Mar 20, 2023
  10. Annapolis Mar 20, 2023

This bit threw me: are you saying you’d be ok with the watch if the case were original but the movement were replaced by a generic one? I don’t think very many people on this forum would agree, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

If that is your meaning, it’s not my place to judge, but I’d wonder what the point is of buying a half real Omega watch—once you accept something as significant as a fake movement (the beating heart of the watch), why not just save yourself several hundred dollars and get a complete replica? Presumably you want the real thing—and for 1600, you should have no problem getting it. This might be it, but without a movement pic we won’t know for sure.

11. Annapolis Mar 20, 2023

—or are you saying that the Omega caliber inside that watch (if it is real) is essentially just a modified ETA, so you don’t care about seeing it?

12. Regan888 Mar 21, 2023

I probably said it in the wrong way. But my point is that as you have stated in the second message the movement is basically a generic ETA that is slightly modified so the parts are quite common.

If the case and bracelet are real the movement is 99,9% real too. If some parts were replaced during service for example mainspring or some screws (that is possible). But in my eyes, the movement is still real and original despite the new parts that I cannot see.

13. Regan888 Mar 21, 2023

Thank you for the message. But I am interested in the price because you said that 1600 EURO is high ... I like the mechanical version - first reference. When can you buy one of these for less :) If you search chrono24 they start at 2000 EURO. eBay has similar prices except for japanse sellers but I want to avoid import fees cause it is some percentage of the price plus 20% VAT. So if the item cost me 1000 for example the final price for me would be 1300 at least...

paddymoran likes this.