Forums Latest Members

Please Help - Time Sensitive - Does this look off to you?

1. trippinjimmy Jan 26, 2020

Hi,

I've been lusting after a speedy meteorite and finally saw one in the metal at a boutique. Love at first sight...but it's at a boutique/no discount other than waving sales tax.

I also found one on chrono24, the dealer has excellent reviews, but there were some red flags.

1. The listing pics aren't of the actual watch. He emailed me some watch photos, and I noticed that they were different. He admitted he "sells these all the time" and that the images weren't of the watch for sale, but that the emailed ones were.

2. I was comparing the watch from the boutique with the chrono24 watch...and the fonts appear off to me, as well as the dial appearing more flat. Do you guys see it to, or is it just me.

Please help as I'm leaving today and don't know what route to go...do I pocket $4k and buy chrono24, or do I buy the peace of mind?

Thanks for all the help!

This is the listing

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega-meteorite-speedmaster--moonwatch-31163445199001--id10620445.htm

but again, those images are not of the watch being sold.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 8.29.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 8.28.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 8.27.31 AM.png
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 26, 2020

You sound like my kid calling me when he’s contemplating doing something he knows is foolish. You answered your own question already.

3. Bp1000 Jan 26, 2020

Personally for the price of what I presume is near or less than the average monthly salary in the USA, in the grand scheme of life, id buy from the boutique as the other seller feels off.

buying from a used seller for me requires trust building and I won’t buy impulsively from used sellers

4. abrod520 Jan 26, 2020

Well it's shown in different lighting, which can change the way it looks significantly. Also, each dial is unique due to the meteorite slices so there may be slight variations in the way the printing has been transferred.

See if you can connect with the seller by phone and if he can text you some more photos in different lighting conditions. If you're concerned it isn't genuine, you could ask to see photos of the box, warranty cards etc and reference the serial with Omega

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2020

You want to buy a watch off a guy that says the pictures of the watch in his add are not of the watch you want to buy.

And you need help from us.

Larry S, Flatfoot, Wetworks and 4 others like this.
  6. Dedalus05 Jan 26, 2020

Beautifully put. OP for that kind of money you do not need to rush. If you've doubts about the seller, then they need to be investigated thoroughly. You might well save 4k, but you need to slow down.

If it really is time sensitive/life-or-death then you must bite the bullet with the AD.

7. vicakers Jan 26, 2020

Don’t rush and if your gut instinct tells you something is off then you should trust it. Difficult to tell from these photos as taken in diff conditions and lighting