Please help - Is this vintage speed master worth getting?

Hi

I’d be so grateful for some advice, i know very little about watches, but I am tying to find a vintage Omega either speed master or constellation for my other half for a wedding present (he already has an omega speed master ‘moon watch’ and a Nomos watch but would like a vintage dress watch) I am really finding it difficult to tell which watches are genuine and worth the money etc. I know he would want it to be as authentic as possible with original hands etc as he’s mentioned this before. And I know he likes the watch in the photo attached that a friend has.
My budget is around £1500. Which metal do you think I should be aiming for for this price, I assume solid gold would be way out of budget, so is steel silver or gold plated better? I think he has pointed out both gold and silver so don’t think it matters which. I think a manual or automatic would be ok, maybe a better condition manual would be preferable to a worse condition automatic?

I found this watch in the link below which looks like the sort of thing I’m looking for - any opinions on if this looks reasonable and well priced?

https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/631123/omega-seamaster-ranchero-watch-1958/

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks, Bryony

Your thread title is a bit confusing as neither the photo included with your post nor the watch attached to the link in your post are Speedmasters. The dealer’s description of the linked watch is somewhat misleading as the watch is not a Ranchero, but what is commonly known as a Seachero. A true Ranchero in good condition is quite rare and well over your budget. You might want to peruse the for sale offerings in the private watch sales forum here on OF. You are much more likely to find an authentic Omega in good condition at a fair price here than elsewhere. If you want to work with a dealer, I would recommend James Kibble at Kibble Watches in London. He knows his business, is honest, and will help you find a good quality vintage watch at a fair price.

Watch in question:

dealer_Antiqueclock_highres_1561457780695-9601123349.jpg

dealer_Antiqueclock_highres_1561457794211-7920899135.jpg

dealer_Antiqueclock_highres_1561457797508-5854517262.jpg

dealer_Antiqueclock_highres_1561457804266-6291777838.jpg

Welcome @BryonyClueless

The pic you’ve posted is of a dome-dial, gold capped, 168.010 constellation - but which looks like it has had its solid gold bezel replaced with a steel bezel.
(They were never supplied looking like this)

You should be able to get a very decent SS or gold capped dome dial constellation for £1500 but it takes patience to find the right watch.
(a solid gold Constellation might be double your budget)

An important question is how long do you have before the wedding?

For sale right now in the OF private watch sales forum. Not an endorsement, but it seems to fit what the OP is looking for and it was serviced in the not distant past.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1959-omega-constellation.135198/

Bryony, this type of case is what we call gold capped. It is composed of a thick layer of gold bonded to stainless steel and is quite durable. There is a big difference between gold capped and gold plated. Gold plated watches have a very thin layer of gold bonded to a base metal like brass. The gold plating tends to wear over time and expose the base metal which can be pretty unattractive. The moral of the story is that gold capped cases are fine to consider purchasing if in good shape (ie, not overpolished, dented, etc.), but you should generally avoid gold plated cases. Gold plated cases will often be identified by writing on the inside of the case back that says “20 microns.”
Edited:

Bryony,
When are you getting married ? I think this may be more important than budget.
And congratulations, you seem like a keeper!

Thank you all for your advice, really helpful.
Apologies for confusing post - was a typo, I meant to say I was looking for a Seamaster or constellation, not Speedmaster (he already has one of those).

Thanks gbesq I had a look at the one in the link, looks pretty ideal, but I’m guessing for sale in the US, not sure it would arrive in time etc? I’ve messaged the seller.
I will check out Kibble watches as well.

The wedding is in a months time so I have stupidly left it pretty late!!

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your advice, really helpful.
Apologies for confusing post - was a typo, I meant to say I was looking for a Seamaster or constellation, not Speedmaster (he already has one of those).

Thanks gbesq I had a look at the one in the link, looks pretty ideal, but I’m guessing for sale in the US, not sure it would arrive in time etc? I’ve messaged the seller.
I will check out Kibble watches as well.

The wedding is in a months time so I have stupidly left it pretty late!!

Thanks everyone

I've known worse, frequently they are next week and the requirements are long.

Follow this thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-watches-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/ there have been some great examples very recently.
And also keep your eye on the for sale forums here.
I'm optimistic the right watch will turn up in time.
Good luck

Hi all,

I was contacted by a private seller who is offering this constellation for €1280 which is what he paid for it plus a repair as was running fast. he seems very genuine and sign posted me to some experienced members who could give me their views. He was honest that it’s not a ‘bargain’ especially is I have to pay %20 VAT to import but I’d appreciate anyone’s opinion! Thanks in advance.

Specifications:
Model / reference: Omega Constellation ref. 168.005
Case material: stainless steel
Movement: Calibre 561, the serial number dates the watch to approx. 1966
Dial: Original white dome dial with gold-plated hands / markers and onyx inlays.
Crown: Original signed decagonal crown
Crystal: Original, signed
Measurements: 34mm in diameter without crown, lug size 18mm
What comes with it: Watch only, no box nor papers, happy to leave the brown tejù strap on.

Condition:
Dial: It's the highlight of this watch in my opinion and the main reason I was drawn to it. The condition of the dial is very good for its age with only minor signs of patina that are only visible in macro shots. The most visible specks of patina are on the outer edge of the dial between 2 and 3 a clock that I only noticed when taking the photos for sale. The golden furniture really makes this dial stand out.

Case:
The case has been polished, but the original facets are still visible. The condition was acceptable for me, but that's obviously subjective. The observatory medallion is still sharp and all the eight stars still clearly visible. The case back has scratches from past opening attempts (not caused by me).

Movement
:
The movement shows some signs wear, but nothing serious that stands out to my untrained eyes. The watch was running too fast when I received it and I had my watchmaker fix it. It now runs accurately. The movement has, however, not been serviced during my possession. Given that it still has the original orange gasket, a proper service is due and highly recommend before wearing the watch on a regular basis.

Hi all,

I was contacted by a private seller who is offering this constellation for €1280 which is what he paid for it plus a repair as was running fast. he seems very genuine and sign posted me to some experienced members who could give me their views. He was honest that it’s not a ‘bargain’ especially is I have to pay %20 VAT to import but I’d appreciate anyone’s opinion! Thanks in advance.

Specifications:
Model / reference: Omega Constellation ref. 168.005
Case material: stainless steel
Movement: Calibre 561, the serial number dates the watch to approx. 1966
Dial: Original white dome dial with gold-plated hands / markers and onyx inlays.
Crown: Original signed decagonal crown
Crystal: Original, signed
Measurements: 34mm in diameter without crown, lug size 18mm
What comes with it: Watch only, no box nor papers, happy to leave the brown tejù strap on.

Condition:
Dial: It's the highlight of this watch in my opinion and the main reason I was drawn to it. The condition of the dial is very good for its age with only minor signs of patina that are only visible in macro shots. The most visible specks of patina are on the outer edge of the dial between 2 and 3 a clock that I only noticed when taking the photos for sale. The golden furniture really makes this dial stand out.

Case:
The case has been polished, but the original facets are still visible. The condition was acceptable for me, but that's obviously subjective. The observatory medallion is still sharp and all the eight stars still clearly visible. The case back has scratches from past opening attempts (not caused by me).

Movement
:
The movement shows some signs wear, but nothing serious that stands out to my untrained eyes. The watch was running too fast when I received it and I had my watchmaker fix it. It now runs accurately. The movement has, however, not been serviced during my possession. Given that it still has the original orange gasket, a proper service is due and highly recommend before wearing the watch on a regular basis.

Just my naivety but I thought 168.005 was a pie pan dial. Maybe there was a different variant?

That being said. This example looks amazing. I'd seriously consider it.

Just my naivety but I thought 168.005 was a pie pan dial. Maybe there was a different variant?.

@Willi
Pie pan is a dial style not a case reference type and appears in numerous case types.
A 168.005 is a dogleg case reference with a date complication.
168.005s come in pie pan and dome dial variations.
I hope that clears things up for you.

Just my naivety but I thought 168.005 was a pie pan dial. Maybe there was a different variant?

Many, many Constellation refs came with either pie pan or some dials, that’s absolutely correct.

/edit: @Peemacgee beat me to it. 😀

I agree with the assessment of the seller. It seems to be rose gold furniture, which certainly is special and significantly more uncommon than yellow gold or steel on steel.

@Willi
Pie pan is a dial style not a case reference type and appears in numerous case types.
A 168.005 is a dogleg case reference with a date complication.
168.005s come in pie pan and dome dial variations.
I hope that clears things up for you.
I’m now slightly less naive. Thanks

@BryonyClueless

I usually allow 25% (all in) for import charges, which would put this at around £1366, a service might take it up to somewhere around £1600.

It does look like rose gold furniture, which is pleasingly unusual.
The dial looks to be good.
The medallion is good.
The scratches on the back are an irritation.
However, whilst the seller has described the watch reasonably accurately, to me the ding in the case at 7 and the softness of the lugs means that the asking price for this watch significantly too much IMHO.

To give you an idea of private sales, below is a link to a Constellation I sold a couple of years ago. Prices have probably increased slightly since.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...l-with-beads-of-rice-bracelet-and-box.102315/

You can generally have two of the three critical points:
1. Good value
2. Good condition
3. Get it immediately.

So you can get a watch in good condition at a good price if you’re prepared to be patient and wait. Alternatively you get get a good vintage seamaster/Constellation immediately but you’ll likely have to pay a bit of a premium.
You’ll have to fall lucky to get all three.

Hi all,

I went ahead with the purchase of the vintage constellation with the rose gold furniture and dog leg lugs from Iamvr, just thought I would post a picture of my husband wearing it on our wedding day! He absolutely loves it.
There is no way I would have been able to find such a nice watch that he was so pleased with without this forum and input from the helpful members, so thank you all very much for your advice!
b-t-216-jpg.1307953 b-t-215-jpg.1307952

Thats nice, thank you for sharing 😀

May your marriage last as long as the Constellation keeps ticking - and this will be veeeery long 😉