Please don't sell that old gold watch ...

... unless you want someone to melt it down. On the other hand, if you have some unfashionable gold jewelry, mismatched earrings, wedding rings from previous marriages ... this could be a good time to sell. Holy moly.

Can I also just count my steel cases watches as an inflation hedge?

Uh oh … now the thugs won’t care about Rolex anymore.

For those of us who like gold watches it’s not that great… as it might make them more expensive.

I've been wanting to add just one solid gold cased watch to my collection. Timing is everything and I ain't got it. 🙁

Only 15 years after the goldbugs claimed it would break 2K! I bought a couple of Gold Eagles for $600ish back in the early 2000s and sold for $1600ish in 2011. I don't feel bad about not holding. $1 in 2009 is worth $1.40 in 2024.

I own a bunch of gold pieces (JLC, UG, Longines) … no plans to sell them, but I wonder how much the price of gold really impacts collector grade watches.

I wonder how much the price of gold really impacts collector grade watches.

Here's an interesting, related data point. I posted the watch linked below for sale when gold was trading at ~$1770/oz. That means that today, the value of the gold in that substantial case has risen 23% in value.

And I haven't adjusted the price...yet! 😁

To be fair, I haven't bumped the ad for two and a half years, either...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/outstanding-vintage-18k-pink-gold-cyma-bumper-auto.137463/

Good grief! Looks like it just came out of the AD display case. I think it needs an @Tony C. bump!

Good grief! Looks like it just came out of the AD display case. I think it needs an @Tony C. bump!

Thanks Larry. It really is a beauty, with an extraordinary case back, but I am (obviously) in no hurry to sell it.

I have an inbound speedy with a white gold bezel. I was poking around and it looks like a replacement bezel was quoted at $1750 a couple years ago. 😲

...I guess it's nice to know that it has some scrap value for when I slam it into a doorjamb.

It’s kind of sad really. From my own perspective, I’ve quite a few (21) solid gold three hand watches that either need work and/ or don’t align with current tastes (incl 14 Omega). They were all most likely special buys at one time. Considering discussing their scrap value with my local jeweller.

Speaking of gold, I was thinking of bringing this one back to life... Uncommon gold pushers and screwed back. It mostly needs a clean venus 188 dial and a hundred euros worth of work on the lugs.

Doesn't look like much right now, but it may end up quite nice I think. It would be a shame to destroy a case like this one.

Here's an interesting, related data point. I posted the watch linked below for sale when gold was trading at ~$1770/oz. That means that today, the value of the gold in that substantial case has risen 23% in value.

And I haven't adjusted the price...yet! 😁

To be fair, I haven't bumped the ad for two and a half years, either...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/outstanding-vintage-18k-pink-gold-cyma-bumper-auto.137463/

That has to be the record for the most love expressed for a watch that did not sell.

That has to be the record for the most love expressed for a watch that did not sell.

Luckily it doesn't bother me at all!

Luckily it doesn't bother me at all!

I am sure you don't mind holding it in your collection. It will take a special buyer to become the caretaker for that watch.