Forums Latest Members

FS Outstanding Vintage 18k Pink Gold CYMA Bumper Auto

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 13, 2021

Ok boys and girls, please fasten your seatbelts. I am offering an absolutely outstanding and rare CYMA from around 1950. I purchased it several years ago from a dealer at a Swiss watch fair, and have enjoyed caring for it ever since. I wasn't really thinking of selling it, but as I am currently renovating an older house here in Portugal, my priorities concerning vintage watches are not what they once were.

Please note first of all that these photos fall short of capturing the beauty of the watch. I've tried a couple of different backgrounds, and lighting, but can't seem to fully capture the beauty of the watch. So I would confidently guarantee that it would be more attractive in person.

In terms of condition, I would assess it as "excellent", though expect that some dealers wouldn't hesitate to characterize it as "mint". I prefer to be conservative, so my assessment is based on there being a few small and, in my opinion, trivial flaws, mostly visible only under a loupe. Whatever term is used, though, there is no doubt that it has been worn very sparingly.

For a gold watch that is ~70 years old, it is extraordinarily well preserved, and, as mentioned earlier, a rare variation. I say that for a variety of reasons. There are no records of CYMA serial numbers to use for specific dating (sadly they were destroyed by fire in the mid-'60s), but, judged by the style and movement records, the watch could have been produced as early as ~1947, or as late as ~1954. This was a period during which Rolex still enjoyed the protection of its patent on full-rotor automatic movements, and other manufacturers, including Omega, Zenith, and CYMA, had to use the creative solution of offering "bumper" automatics.

I expect that most readers are familiar with that basic design, which features springs allowing the rotor to bounce back and forth, rather than revolving 360º. This was a fairly elegant solution to the challenge of that period, as most manufacturers saw the great attraction of automatic movements, and did not want to wait several years (for the Rolex patent to expire) before supplying such watches to their customers.

Aside from the historical significance of bumper automatics, some collectors, like myself, find a certain charm in that type of movements, as the feeling of the winding mechanism is quite unique. Note, though, that they are typically not as efficient as full-rotor movements.

Compared with the two major manufacturers mentioned above, CYMA produced these early automatic watches in very low numbers. So we have a relatively low production series from CYMA, cased in 18k pink gold. Making it more interesting is the fact that it was a part of their successful "Watersport" line, which, as implied, touted water resistance, and also shock resistance and anti-magnetic properties. The case is a screw-back, which, while typical of more highly resistant cases, makes this watch even more uncommon, as a high percentage of 18k cased watches featured slimmer, snap-back cases, given that they were typically marketed as dress models. Even the small percentage that did feature 18k screw-back cases were typically marketed as dress watches, and high resistance was not a point of emphasis.

In other words, this was a model that had an uncommon combination of qualities for the period, and across all brands. It was cased in 18k gold, with its high value and dress implications, but also designed, in terms of function, to be capable of a type of higher resistance that was much more closely associated with sports watches.

Years later, IWC produced small numbers of a superficially similar combination in their ref. 666 and 866 Ingenieur, and Yacht Club models, but back around 1950, it was a rather rare variation.

I have only seen one other example of this particular model over many years of collecting, and it was in relatively poor condition.

The unpolished case measures 34mm, excluding the signed crown. It is exceptionally well-finished, and must have been around, if not at the top of CYMA's model line at the time. One of the reasons that I believe strongly that watches such as this one will appreciate in value over time, is that when very well preserved, they allow us to see how watches cased in precious metals were treated by the better manufacturers much like jewelry, being both designed and finished with great care, and attention to detail. In the case of this watch (pun intended), the chamfered lugs and bezel were originally polished, while the sides featured a contrasting, vertical brushing. Then, there is a narrow, polished rim, which matches the same design cue on the outside of the case back. The main part of the back, trumpeting the four main technical features of the watch in a simple, handsome, etched font, shows a circular brushed finish.

Under a loupe, as mentioned earlier, a few very small/fine flaws can be seen, but overall it is one of the most interesting and beautiful gold cases I have ever seen. There are two, clearly defined gold hallmarks, and note that the back screws in and out exceptionally smoothly.

I am very fond of the design of the case back, and, given its extraordinary condition, consider it to be an important part of the value and allure of this particular watch.

The dial is a fine, vertically brushed style, and has a cream complexion. There is an evenly spread, pinpoint patination, that is only obvious under magnification. The gold applied markers and hands are in excellent condition. I'm a sucker for this classic, 3,6,9,12 Arabic style, and find this to be an attractive execution.

The movement is a 17 jewel caliber 420KT according to Ranfft, though it is stamped 420K (which designated the sub-second version). These type of minor discrepancies are not uncommon, in my experience, including with manufacturers such as IWC. The movement is very nicely finished, and one of the more attractive bumper designs, in my view. I don't know that it was intentional, but the primary finish is a pink tone that comes close to that of the case.

This is one of those watches that I have no realistic expectations of ever being able to replace, as the likelihood of finding another in anything like this condition is extremely small. I also expect that it will appreciate nicely in value over the medium and long term. I ask €2900, with express, insured shipping options to be discussed. I would prefer a bank transfer in this instance.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 14, 2022
  2. Zapatta Oct 13, 2021

Outstanding as usual, Tony! GLWS

Zdzislaw, Torr and Tony C. like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Oct 13, 2021

Whoa- that thing is sharp! Awesome.

Zdzislaw and Tony C. like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 14, 2021

Interest shown, but still available!

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 15, 2021

I was asked about offers, and the answer is that while I do not need to sell this watch, I am always happy to entertain serious offers. :thumbsup:

Zdzislaw and Torr like this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 15, 2021

Here am I attempting to reduce the numbers :(

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 17, 2021

Sunday bump!

Zdzislaw likes this.
  8. cineaste Dec 20, 2021

Stunning, GLWS!

Edited Dec 21, 2021
    Tony C. and Zdzislaw like this.
  9. TimeODanaos Dec 29, 2021

How many bumper movements are as beautiful as this? Someone is going to banish the post-Christmas blues in some style with this!

10. tmw57 Dec 29, 2021

I am in selling mode only these days, but looking at this one makes me reconsider..

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...."

Not a great movie, but certainly a great watch from a great seller.

GLWS

Eve, Tony C. and Zdzislaw like this.
  11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 30, 2021

Perhaps if I copy the sale images to my screensaver the love of my life will see them and take the hint :D

Scarecrow Boat and Tony C. like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Dec 30, 2021

Or you can buy this as a gift for the love of your life (they are always worth it) but the strap is too long and it’s always such a pain to get a shorter strap….awwww

TimeODanaos and Alpha like this.
  13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 30, 2021

I like your thinking :thumbsup:

14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Dec 31, 2021

Stunning watch @Tony C. And, as usual, an honest and informative sales post.
    Whilst I may not be on the market for this I can at least give you a well deserved bump.
    All the best and GLWS

wagudc and Tony C. like this.