Forums Latest Members
  1. TomJon May 6, 2024

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies for any ignorance - very new here!

I'm considering the linked watch as a gift, but the lack of really any information on it has me hesitant.

It would be for my girlfriend who has little-to-no watch knowledge/experience, so she won't mind missing papers, or the non-original back, but I'm hoping to:
    - Get your opinions on the authenticity
    - Find the model name and year (or range), if possible

Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3648552331...10a5a:g:buwAAOSwBuxmJmc0&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shIdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

(For more photos, click the link)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sheepdoll May 6, 2024

Way way overpriced. Not rare at all.
    I typically look for these in the 35 to 65 range 120 tops.
    Movement most likley is a 681 or 684. Might be the smaller 470 base caliber, but I do not know the date variation.

Solid gold would be melt value. This says gold capped and the back is steel.

Big pass here.

TomJon and X350 XJR like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 6, 2024

Even if it were SOLID gold the price would be too high.

4. TomJon May 6, 2024

Thanks, sheepdoll! Off the top of your head, any similar models you think would be worth it within that price range?

5. TomJon May 6, 2024

Thank you! Off the top of your head, any similar models you think would be worth it within that price range?

6. sheepdoll May 6, 2024

There is not much value in the ladies watches.

read the pinned post https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Take your time and learn the ins an outs of this. There are some nice examples out there for 250 to 300. Service can be that again, so it can become a loss leader quickly. Look for something is solid gold and value it as melt value. Unlike the gents variants the ladies movements have next to no value (less than 35 bucks US.)

Shop goodwill has nice examples. Most probably destined to the fiery furnace. Plated are worthless. I personally favor stainless steel.

I self service my watches, which takes a lot of commitment.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 6, 2024

One other thing to keep in mind with vintage ladies watches is how small they are.

8. Dan S May 6, 2024

I don't even think it's gold-capped. Just plated/filled. Asking price is roughly 10x the value. Would be a fine gift at $50, although at some point it will probably need to be serviced, which would be hard to swallow.

BTW, I don't see anything wrong with the case-back.

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 6, 2024

Several pieces of advice when buying for a lady:

1/ is she aware you’re contemplating a watch purchase and does she like/wear watches?

2/ what’s her usual style when it comes to clothing and jewelery:
    -frilly / dainty/ delicate items?
    - sporty/ casual?
    -business/ classic?
    That may have an impact on the choice of watch.

3/ is she prepared to wear a watch which is fragile and requires attention? a vintage watch has little shock or water resistance, may be damaged if worn in rainy weather or if hand cream or perfume enter the watch through the winder area.
    Contrary to a quartz watch it will require service every 5 to 8 years, which is getting more and more expensive in many Western countries.

Best advice: go to a big department store with many watches of different styles, try different sizes. Vintage women’s watches from the era you posted are smaller than the size of a nickel if you’re in the US, or about the same diameter as a 5 cent coin (US or Euro).