Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean bezel misalignment?

1. machamp6650 Jul 12, 2020

Hi all, I'd like to pick your brains about something that's been bugging me for years!

I bought a PO 2500 42mm back in 2011. I got the version with orange bezel, but at the time I was convinced I really wanted the black bezel. So I bought one from Ofrei, back in the day when parts were available. I also bought a custom tool to remove the bezel, and had no trouble getting it on and off, rotating fine, click spring was intact and in order, etc. But when replacing the bezel, over several goes I just couldn't get the bezel pip to align perfectly with the 12.

I've come back to trying bezel replacement recently for a bit of a change. And here's the weird part - I've been looking through some guides on replacement online, and I just realised that they all had the exact same problem! I've attached some photos from online guides below - see how the pip is just to the right of 12 in both cases.

I'd really welcome your advice about whether there is a specific trick to getting the bezel to align perfectly? BTW I've had my PO serviced and it came back with perfect alignment, so I know it's not just a trick of the photo angle or me being paranoid ;) Are there any special tricks of the trade you can share with me? TIA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 12, 2020

I’m going to try and summon@Archer to help you.

He’s like Mighty Mouse and Superman all rolled into one. A friendly neighborhood save the dayer.

Edited Jul 12, 2020
    machamp6650 likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 13, 2020

How are you removing the bezel? If it's the way I think it is, I believe that is the cause of the problem...please show the "custom tool" and explain exactly how you use it thanks.

Cheers, Al

machamp6650 and WatchTimes like this.
  4. machamp6650 Jul 13, 2020

Hi @Archer, it's not the exact one shown but very close. A gap in the ring so I can slip it over the bezel, notch sits between the bezel and case, rest of the ring sits against the edges of the bezel.

To remove I apply a little pressure around the ring, allow the bezel to click counterclockwise and lift. I've based this on guides found online but as noted above, it appears the other guys are having the same problem...

[​IMG]

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 14, 2020

Is the one you have the home made one by someone I think called Bry1975 or something like that? He was trying to sell them a few years ago and there were things about the design I wasn't crazy about.

If the bezel is shifted alignment it's one of two things - the insert has moved relative to the bezel, or the click spring has moved relative to the case.

Anyway, you mention turning CCW - are you sure you didn't turn CW even a little? Because if you did, this can bend the click spring - either at the three tabs that stick up, or the one tab at 12 that goes into the hole in the case.

Look at the click spring to see if the tab that goes into the case is bent - that is where I would start. I use the Omega set that works on the same principle as the one you show, and I've never had this issue of it drifting, so it's either a technique issue or something about the tool that is causing this.

Bezel1.jpg
    Bezel2.jpg
    Bezel3.jpg

Cheers, Al

machamp6650 and Alfista88 like this.
  6. chaw6125 Jul 14, 2020

That top watch with the orange bezel came black as it has white numbers on the dial. I think it looks odd without the orange numbers on the dial. The orange numbers looks great with orange or black bezel.

7. machamp6650 Jul 15, 2020

Thanks for your advice on this @Archer, very appreciated. I didn't buy my tool on OF so not sure if it was from Bry1975.

I spent some time inspecting the click spring last night and couldn't find any signs of damage. I also replaced the click spring with a brand new replacement (so unaffected by any removal issues) when reinstalling the bezel - still seeing the same issues!

Is there any chance I'm doing something wrong when putting the bezel back on? I note I'm doing it manually - would there be any value in getting out the press tool?

8. machamp6650 Jul 15, 2020

I know what you mean, both swap options are a bit of an acquired taste. I have the one with orange numbers, but feel the grey dial face can clash a bit with the black bezel. I'd be interested to see how the dial with white numbers would go with either option - but I'm learned from experience that it's much harder to get a second PO dial than to get a second bezel!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 16, 2020

You don't install these with a press, so they always go back on by hand. Unless again you are somehow turning the bezel CW when you are installing it, and bending the spring, then installation shouldn't be the cause.

As I said above, if the bezel is shifted alignment it's one of two things - the insert has moved relative to the bezel, or the click spring has moved relative to the case. Is the new click spring you used a genuine Omega part?

If you are sure it's not the spring (which would make the most sense), then it has to be the insert moving relative to the bezel. I've never seen this happen from just removing and installing the bezel, so not sure there's much I can do to explain this. It could possibly be the tool you are using, but you seem reluctant to show it.

You are left with removing the bezel insert and installing it in a lined up position.

Cheers, Al