Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Sep 14, 2019

I wrote a brief stanza in a strap thread about this issue. I’m a novice magician and one routine we do is watch removals. I’ve done it numerous times, never been caught but I only do regular bands. I don’t touch steel as like I said I’m a novice and need to keep it simple. I have a couple friends that are professional, they make videos teaching magic and develops magic for some of the major name guys. They can get any type of watch off, it’s quite amazing but I know many people here would probably get very mad if the trick was done to them.

I try to be careful in tourist areas, that’s where the pickpockets thrive and in Shanghai we were looking at the pearl of the orient and another westerner in the crowd got his watch taken. He was about 10 feet from me and I overheard him obviously very upset. At the monthly meetings I go to the magicians know I’m into watches so they love to get me. Even with me knowing the tells they get me, especially when they pair up which many of the thieves do. I need to keep my hands in my pocket at the meetings. I know it sounds unbelievable but these guys can get funky deployments off of you. So I’ve read here about the unfortunate house break ins where people lost watches but I’m curious if anyone has ever been picked. This is also a public service announcement. Sorry for the ramble I’m bored this evening. The thread can just sink away if it’s stupid.

ext1, DaveK, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  2. Donn Chambers Sep 14, 2019

Never been picked (thank God) but I have seen a couple of street magicians do the “steal the watch” trick. Still don’t know how it’s done, but I know pickpockets can do it if you are distracted and I am very conscious of my watch and wallet when i’m out in major cities.

3. biggie Sep 14, 2019

That's something I've never considered. Maybe I need to invent a clear colored lanyard loop that attaches under my wrist to a ring on my finger!

connieseamaster and Walrus like this.
  4. 77deluxe Sep 14, 2019

This is another example of why a NATO strap is very helpful.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 15, 2019

6. lillatroll Sep 15, 2019

Someone tried to steal my wallet from my pocket in Copenhagen. He and another person were talking to me, asking where I was from while kicking a ball against my leg and trying to get the ball from me by wrapping his leg around mine, pretending to tackle me, he was shaking my leg and had his hand in my pocket with the wallet in it. I noticed him and pushed him over and offered a few choice words about his goodself and walked off. They followed me down the street but a police patrol car was in the street so they turned and walked off.
    When I was younger someone tried to mug me in Amsterdam, he was the most apathetic mugger on the planet. He told me to give him my wallet and I told him to f**k off or I would break his jaw ( I boxed until I was 40) he just walked off. Today I think its best to hand over the wallet unless you are Chuck Norris.

7. tzachi Sep 15, 2019

A friend of mine "lost" his 16610 Sub in NY with that trick...

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 15, 2019

Had a small knife pulled on me on a train coming home one payday at 9pm as a apprentice. Said my wallet was in my bag and unzipped my bag at my feet to get it. I was a apprentice butcher and always took my knives home Thursday night pay day. :whistling: Guy shat himself and got off the train quickly next stop.

djmusicman, DaveK, lando and 6 others like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 15, 2019

Did you say "That's not a knife....THIS is a knife!"

crl848, DaveK, lando and 4 others like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 15, 2019

Was before that movie came out ;)

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 15, 2019

I thought that character was based on you though! ;)

Matty01, DaveK, lando and 2 others like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 15, 2019

Funny how he was not that much of a fictional character in my neck of the woods in the 80s ( and how many bars 100km or more out of Darwin are exactly the same today as depicted in the movie ::facepalm2:: )

13. Walrus Sep 15, 2019

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2019

Hmmm...

Always becareful.... wonder for guys with big wrists.. if it is any easier or harder?

Bill

15. Walrus Sep 15, 2019

I can’t speak on this from a thieves level but it really doesn’t matter to the professional magicians I know who include this performance. Having said that one guy has been doing this for over thirty years so he has developed a skill where this type of thing is like a card trick. I can catch someone at my level or below. I rarely do this anymore as I’m scared I might take off someone’s grandfathers watch anyway but the pros can get me. I imagine in a crowded subway or concert etc it would be quite easy for someone who knows what they are doing. I get a little paranoid about it.

16. Huus Sep 15, 2019

The pub in the movie is located in a small town in NQ named McKinlay and was originally build a few hundred meters of the highway. After the movie it was shifted and is now located on the Landsborough Highway and is more of a roadhouse and a tourist attraction.

17. squarelug Sep 15, 2019

I seriously do not understand how you don't feel this happening when it's in progress. Can you explain a bit about the experience of it? Might be helpful to understand it from the perspective of the wearer of the watch assuming you know how it's done.

18. Walrus Sep 15, 2019

Dude I know this sounds crazy but I’m a member of SAM and we sign a contract not to reveal. For magic it’s usually distraction, speed and feel. Rarely will you just grab a watch you do it while your doing other moves. Try to get them thinking about the last move and move into a more physical trick have them sign or hold a card etc. it’s something you can’t do until youve developed muscle memory for it. You can’t be stiff or slow. Like I said I’m a novice, it’s hard to explain without physically showing someone. Now pros can just get it off you. If I see steel I won’t do it. They can. I’d say the best way to protect against is is hand in your pocket or close to your body. How the nefarious people do it I don’t know. You can probably get a better idea on some you tube videos. Usually they are half assed magicians but you can get the idea.

DaveK likes this.
  19. Donn Chambers Sep 15, 2019

One thing I’ve always wondered about this trick — does it only work on a strap watch with a tang buckle? I’ve never seen it done on a bracelet or strap with a deployant. That seems like it would be harder because of having to move the watch over the hand, and not just off the wrist.

Walrus likes this.
  20. Walrus Sep 15, 2019

You are 100% right. I can’t do anything but a strap with a regular buckle. I’d say a lot of magicians won’t bother but I have seen it done, including to me. It’s quite surprising some deployments are tricky I don’t know what they do, study every possible release.