Forums Latest Members

Phillips Auctions Bringing About a Brave New World...again

1. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Oct 15, 2015

Hide your kids
    Hide your wives
    Hide your money

Aurel Bacs is coming for them all :D
    https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/CH080515

In all seriousness though, at this rate, Phillips Auction is going to push all of the mid-level vintage watch collectors out of the market completely. One pervading argument these days is that Universal Geneve is finally getting the attention it deserves and therefore warrants these newfangled prices. Which is ridiculous. I've tried to make the argument that the prices of these earlier chronographs are reasonable compared to the 60's Valjoux era watches, but that's purely subjective and only relatively speaking. Historically, UG has always been the "affordable" alternative in the watch world, and even in the vintage sector, while North American collectors lost interest, European collectors always favored them as a budget-friendly entry brand. Now some of these estimates are only slightly above market value (with a few outrageous exceptions and one that is curiously low), but the Bacs lemmings will be out in force once again, pushing past these estimates like Icarus on Ecstasy. We certainly should not blame Mr. Bacs for being great at his job, rather the bored Rolex collector as @LouS astutely put it, but this was my "GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!" rant. @Diabolik's earlier statements couldn't be more true. Go get them while you can guys.

false.jpg
    Estimate: 15,000 CHF - 25,000. Ummm what's that now?

false (5).jpg
    Estimate: 3000CHF - 5000CHF A Polerouter Sub with a Speedmaster sweep second hand? Why not? ::facepalm2::

false (4).jpg
    Estimate: 6000 CHF - 9000 CHF Oh ok.:rolleyes:

false (3).jpg
    Estimate: 7000 CHF - 12,000 CHF And you guys thought the prices on these were high now...

false (1).jpg
    Estimate: 10,000 - 15,000

and others...

false (6).jpg
    Estimate: 5000 - 7000 Not Universal obviously, but another great and affordable chronograph brand soon to be out of reach to some.

Edited Oct 15, 2015
    aap, Gatsby, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2015

Estimates ≠ achieved hammer prices.

Fer Seamaster likes this.
  3. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Oct 15, 2015

Usually I would be in complete agreement with you, but the results of the last auction portends otherwise. Buzz and excitement behind the inaugural auction may have had something to do with it, but regardless, it's not a great sign for things to come

x3no likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Oct 15, 2015

Thnx J!!

5. x3no Oct 15, 2015

The estimate on the Exotic Dial Tri-Compax is... Funny. They low-balled the last one and sold it for 30,000CHF. Are they low balling this one as well so that Bacs looks good when it sells for 20,000CHF+? Or did the "ghost" demand for this piece drop suddenly.. :rolleyes:

6. shoota70 Oct 15, 2015

How do you even go about bidding?

7. E-diddy Oct 15, 2015

8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 15, 2015

Yeah, I saw the expected value for the exotic Compax and kinda scratched my head. You can't find a Tri-Compax anywhere for $6K anymore, let alone the exotic model with B&P. That thing is going to go for at least $20K.

Also, the Speedy sweep on the Polerouter Sub is laughable. At least make an effort and put a neutral stick hand that could potentially be debated, given UG's...um...odd sense of continuity within Polerouter Subs.

That said...it's a pre-moon sweep hand. So, I award them partial credit.

Fer Seamaster and Eric_navi like this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 15, 2015

All of these "important" watches remind me of this important cartoon:

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 15, 2015
    face33, Carlton-Browne, Geo! and 12 others like this.
  10. Skrotis Oct 15, 2015

I guess this is the auction that is going to set the standard for Phillips watchdepartment in folling years, its a nice lineup whit some smal mistakes that you couldent find on the first auction.
    I belive there is space for a new player on this market,its not my market but it has a impact on prices al over the world.

11. timeismoney Oct 15, 2015

I think it is already too late...

12. timeismoney Oct 15, 2015

x3no likes this.
  13. timjohn Oct 15, 2015

Remember what happened to Icarus.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 09.31.02.png
    Bottom right -- he's drowning

14. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 15, 2015

No wonder I have not been able to buy any watches lately. Guess I have to go back to my small little world. :(

Ludi, aap and x3no like this.
  15. ELV web Oct 15, 2015

Same here....

16. Fer Seamaster Oct 16, 2015

I am starting to be a little bit fed up with all this marketing and hype around some auction houses. It seems those days where you could find a local seller in a remote country with some interesting pieces and prices have passed away.

The actual fact is there are many interesting pieces in this auction you do not see often:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

davidswiss, bvertz and ELV web like this.
  17. Skrotis Oct 16, 2015

I do some business in scandinavian design and do the comparision what Phillips influence done on that market,last month they sold a Danish diningtable from the 50s for 50000+ euro a worldrecord big time,
    Nobody could see this coming to this level so fast whit Phillips on the design side they moved rapidly to nr 1.
    Guess this is the future and its only the 2 watchauction.
    When you shopping for a couple of 100000 of euro every month and they sell something unique the sky is the limit.

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 16, 2015

No need to overreact, as there are still very good deals to be had at auction, and I'm not referring only to smaller and/or esoteric houses. I bought a chronometre not long ago that is likely worth three to four times what I paid (including the irritating buyer's premium), and have had a few similar successes on occasion over recent years.

In a broader context, due to continuing economic woes around the world, there is a steady river (as opposed to stream) of fresh vintage watches coming to market. Sad for those who are forced to sell in order to raise cash, but it remains a very fertile period for collectors. This will, in my view, continue for years, as more and more people find themselves in the unenviable position of having to sell.

Finally, particularly fine and/or sought after watches are largely selling for inflated prices irrespective of whether they appear at Phillips, on eBay, or our very own sales forum.

19. 10H10 Oct 16, 2015

Edited Oct 17, 2015
    Spacefruit likes this.
  20. woodwkr2 Oct 16, 2015

I'll take lot 169, please. That is all.

10H10 likes this.