Forums Latest Members

Patek Nautilus: is the hype deserved?

1. M'Bob Nov 11, 2019

Seems to be a lot of buzz about this watch lately. I see a picture of Paul McCartney wearing one. Sotheby's has it listed in one of their G.O.A.T series. Is it really that fabulous?

Don't like me wrong, I like this watch. But "like"is the operative word. Yeah, the design is appealing to some extent - it is sleek, has an appealing integrated bracelet, and is very nicely finished. But the date window upsets the aesthetics, and the shape, overall, is a love it or hate it proposition. Plus, let's be honest - it's not that far off from all of Genta's other designs. And...how 'bout that price?

For me, this is very similar to the Rolex Submariner: you can not be into watches at all, but have to have one because it's some sort of marker of success.

Now, the Nautilus is coming to the fore. It's the more sophisticated, thinking-man's Submariner. It's the "in" watch of the highly successful who are told by their similarly-heeled friends that this is what you must own be be a step above the Rolex-wearing cool kids. As Dorothy Parker once famously said, "There's less there than meets the eye." At least for me...

flw, janice&fred and Mad Dog like this.
  2. alam Nov 11, 2019

There’s nothing about this watch that I’d classify as appealing ...

Fritz, gefmey, Strangedream and 7 others like this.
  3. Evitzee Nov 11, 2019

The Nautilus (Ref 3700) was the first luxury watch I ever bought, back in 1979. List price was $3,750 and I paid $3,000 from an AD who had a store in the Galleria in Houston, Texas. Personally I never warmed to the watch's design. It was too big and too thin to really sit well on my 7.5" wrist, and the bracelet was stiff, but it was a beautifully finished piece of equipment. But it actually looked dated even in 1979. It got less and less wrist time as I expanded my collection. I eventually sold it in 1989 and at that time even PP wasn't promoting it, it was considered pretty much a dud as competition to the Royal Oak. Eventually PP pulled it out of the ditch and then over the years it became a hot item, PP really knows how to play the game of making their stuff suddenly cool and needed.

I've never had a desire to own another one, I certainly wouldn't pay the silly prices they command now. But I certainly wish I had just tucked that watch away for a rainy day, but you never know what will become hot.

4. S.H. Nov 11, 2019

Me neither, and I always think it is a bad rerun of the RO.

M'Bob likes this.
  5. chunkythebulldog Nov 11, 2019

It’s a great watch. The 5712 is the last watch I’d ever sell from my collection.

E5466158-E5CF-4607-B3F5-A2EA5357A705.jpeg 67A2AAAE-02C9-46F8-807F-82053EA9CA4E.jpeg C5DBD92E-D93A-4B38-A281-3C3C64624689.jpeg 3FB70F82-828D-44DD-8556-0E9C703BCC59.jpeg

Mam, marcn, plibou and 16 others like this.
  6. M'Bob Nov 11, 2019

Nice collection. What do you find most appealing about it?

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 11, 2019

Hmmm...let me give your question some thought, M'Bob. And while you wait, please enjoy this visual interlude...

[​IMG]

Edited Nov 11, 2019
    gbesq, Mam, watchyouwant and 15 others like this.
  8. M'Bob Nov 11, 2019

Always the diplomat...

watchyouwant, ErichPryde, aap and 4 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 11, 2019

I was looking for a finer watch. Went to Tourneu Chicago. Looked at a PP Calatrava date. Nice but price was absurd. Looked at these. Sharp edges and an unpleasant wrist feel turned me off. Also contributing to my negative PP experience was the sales woman who bagged on my Grand Reverso without prompt. End of this process is my Master Moon Triple in RG. Since then the price of the Nautilus has almost doubled I’m with @Tony C. ....... Making matters worse, my old boss landed a RG Aquanaught and doesn’t know what to do with it. Silly price too.

WhatYourWatchSay, aap and M'Bob like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 11, 2019

The whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Larry S likes this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 11, 2019

Put me in the 'if I ever win Powerball, I'd definitely buy a PP Nautilus' category. I think it's a beautiful design and would love to have one on my wrist. In the meantime, I'll settle for my SubC...a watch I will never part with. :thumbsup:

MikiJ and M'Bob like this.
  12. Cad290 Nov 11, 2019

My answer would be, they are great, attractive watches that are worthy of hype but have become far too expensive in my opinion. I owned a 5711 with a white dial, I enjoyed it and wore it a lot for about a year, and then was ready to part with it when something else caught my eye, the Rolex white gold Pepsi gmt. I have also owned 3 royal oak jumbos, two in steal and one in yellow gold. I wore these often for about a year as well, then stopped enjoying wearing them. The PP5711 was a much nicer wearing experience, with a much more supple and sturdy bracelet. I don’t know how vintage nautilus wear, but my original RO jumbos all had bracelets that felt a bit too flimsy, as one might expect from a 40+ year old bracelet. And the crowns had a tendency to pop right out when you were attempting to set the time. These watches all accrued value while I owned them, but I am certainly kicking myself for not keeping them longer. Not because I miss them, but because of the skyrocketing values, as @Evitzee said.

As far as buying a Nautilus or Jumbo at current prices...no freakin way. I’m a huge fun of the revamped VC overseas collection that started a few years back. You can get a steel model for about 13k usd, and you can instantly switch from bracelet to rubber to leather strap. And these have an actual heritage, I believe VC has produced the overseas pretty nonstop since the 70s. If you want a watch that is much finer, rarer, and cooler (and cheaper) than a PP 5711, then I would recommend the white gold VC overseas ultrathin. Priced just north of 40k on the secondary market, and using the same movement as the original nautilus and jumbo.
    951E3BF5-F570-431B-96CA-C172729B227D.jpeg

https://www.europeanwatch.com/32800.html

13. Beepos Nov 11, 2019

Personally, I like the Aquanaut better

And holy shit, the new Overseas looks good

Cad290 likes this.
  14. chunkythebulldog Nov 12, 2019

I like the aesthetics, the way it sits on the wrist, the way it flies under the radar and the versatility that it looks good with shorts & flip flops, jeans or dressed up with a suit.

Professor, Larry S and M'Bob like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

Another watch caught up in the stigma game that the watch media whip up. No just for this watch but for many watches
    50% of people buy it because they like it
    30% buy it for a look at me look at me
    20% buy it because social media says to buy one
    (This is for many watches not just the one in question)

Just buy what you like and why give a shit what other people buy and like.

But seeing @chunkythebulldog in a thread wearing one in a pair of shorts and flip flops walking a bulldog
    Now that’s cool as :cool:

watch3s, Mad Dog, cicindela and 6 others like this.
  16. MCC Nov 12, 2019

Nice watch but certainly not at the prices they are commanding today. I do not think my collecting journey without adding a Patek at some stage and I did come close to buying one a couple of years back but the price even then put me off. I guess I just didn't quite like it enough.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  17. DeepBlue Nov 12, 2019

I like it. It looks good. But i woulnd't buy it if I had the money for it.

18. harrymai86 Nov 12, 2019

I think a good replacement for those expensive Nautilus Royal Oak Overseas... could be the GP Laureato, look fun and doesnt break the bank.

19. Martin_J_N Nov 12, 2019

It is such a great watch IMHO, I just love the look of this, the Aquanaut, and AP's Royal Oak range, I just think that they are gorgeous watches, I can't put my finger on why they appeal so much they just do.

The Nautilus is one of my grail watches, unfortunately it is very unlikely that I will ever have the money to buy one, but if the lottery numbers come in.........

blufinz52 likes this.
  20. NT931 Nov 12, 2019

I bought my 5711 from a colleague some time ago, fortunately before the prices went totally insane.

Some may not like the case shape, but I dig the thin case, and the amazing dial. It's quite comfortable on the wrist, and goes well with a suit, or smart casual, or even barefoot or with flip flops!
    PP5711 feet.jpg

As the owner of a RO as well, I actually find the RO dressier than the 5711. The prices for both are now crazy, so ironically I tend to wear them less often as people start noticing them a bit more.