Forums Latest Members

Panerai Ferrari FER 012 - thoughts? opinions?

1. kip595 Jun 6, 2020

Dropped into a new local jeweler's soft opening this morning to see if they looked like they were going to be doing much with watches. They're still bringing in their stock (with the protests here a lot of retailers have merchandise vaulted), so that and given the size of the place (small) I wasn't expecting much. A few older Rolex DJ's and a smattering of others like IWC and Cartier surprised me, but what I really wasn't expecting was a Panerai Ferrari 00012 sitting center stage at their front showcase. Even more surprising was the asking price; easily 20% lower than any other FER 00012/FER 012 I've come across. I wasn't looking for anything like this, but it is tempting.

This example is watch only on proper strap and clasp, non-OEM presentation box. I'm not overly familiar with this one; I've only dealt with Radiomir models before. It's an L.E., one of 500 if I'm right; a hand-winding 8-day.

I can't see a brick and mortar local shop trying to hawk fakes next to what were, at least on the exterior, proper Rolex models, but is there anything specific to look out for on these cross-branded PAMs? All markings, including those on the caseback, looked correct to me. Correct L.E. numbers, movement, Ferrari crest on crown, see-through caseback, ETC. For what it's worth, everything else in their selection also seemed without any of the usual tell-tale signs like overly polished collector coins, imitation Tiffany, etc. I was only able to snag one pic unfortunately; but what do the Paneristi among us say? About any of it, the watch, experiences with one, cross-brand pro or con?, etc.

pam fer 00012 - 2.jpeg
  2. rootbeer7 Jun 7, 2020

I responded on the ‘other’ forum. These were never popular. Unless you have the car, the watch is a bit.........! Some of the pieces were actually quite good. There was a perpetual calendar version. But the branding was a no-no

3. NGO1 Jun 7, 2020

Don’t do it. The problem is Ferrari licensed its name to too many lesser brands. Wearing a “Ferrari” watch is no more than a Timex. I’ve seen Ferrari watches at Target and Walmart everywhere. Unless you are allergic to money. Don’t do it.
    Car brands on watches are terrible. Even guys own Ferrari don’t buy this b.s.
    And if you DONT own the car, it’s even weirder to wear a Ferrari branded watch.

652506FB-32F2-4BAA-8B9E-F88DC64BB8B5.jpeg
    apsm100, asrnj77 and WatchCor like this.
  4. NGO1 Jun 7, 2020

Oh, and this comes from a Pam loving guy!

D3BF96AD-B5B1-4899-BB11-9E8B03145634.jpeg 63AA0628-A40F-49B2-9460-519DB2A2DA6F.jpeg
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 7, 2020

For some reason the Panerai Cazzomir resonates more with me ...

upload_2020-6-7_13-45-42.jpeg

:whistling:

asrnj77 likes this.
  6. kip595 Jun 7, 2020

That's a shame about the crossbranding then; on the wrist it's a nicely designed typical Panerai presence; but if Ferrari is letting no-name and low end brands "pay for play" use of the name, it's somewhat elf-defeating to have this out there, IMO.

As to the jeweler I'll know more soon; he's bringing in a few more pieces next week including some Rolex SS models that might be more in line w/my current collection.

7. asrnj77 Jun 10, 2020

As mentioned before the watch/car crossovers never do well. The Zenith Range Rovers and JLC Aston Martins come to mind. The watches would be otherwise nice but it would make me feel like I’m wearing a Harvard law school t-shirt and most assuredly, I did not go there. I also don’t own a Range Rover or Aston Martin (but I do have a Zenith and JLC).