Forums Latest Members

Pahawi's Custom Made Speedie Caseback Opener......Highly Recommended

1. Pahawi Aug 15, 2016

2. gostang9 Aug 15, 2016

This confirms what I suspected. My watch is very new (SN 87783xxx) so O-ring should be okay, my only concern will be that any watchmaker I use doesn't damage it.

This is what I remembered you mentioning before on another thread. Thanks for being willing to repeat yourself for my sake. :)

Agreed and understood. I have no intention of opening myself, nor do I own or plan to aquire the lovely Pahawi X-master caseback opener. (I hope the OP doesn't mind my tangential thread drift... I figured this topic had long run its course and yet my question was directly related to the item being discussed... If I was wrong, please let me know and I'll try not to do it again!) ;)

I would like to use an Omega watchmaker (like yourself) to do some work but it isn't sanctioned/approved by Omega and so I have a conundrum on my hands. Those who could be trusted won't do the work, and those who are happy to do the work cannot be trusted... Catch 22.

So far I've spoken to 2 watchmakers who claim they can work chronographs, have lots of general experience, and they are 'familiar' with Speedmaster, but they both were quick to say they couldn't guarantee the waterproof'ness wouldn't be affected. This made me nervous and so I wanted to understand better what that meant, especially when I'd seen this thread with apparently 40+ members receiving the tool with what I'd assume is an intent to open Speedmaster casebacks... For now, I'm enjoying the Speedy in its original form while I contemplate and research my options.

This I also understand and it makes sense. In my case would end up being an unfortunate but necessary evil should I go forward.

Excellent level of information and detail, that simultaneously comforts me in increasing my level of understanding about my watch while making me even more afraid of asking a non-Omega certified watchmaker to open it up and do anything to it...

Thanks Al for coming through as you always do.

3. gostang9 Aug 15, 2016

Fantastic, I hope that was included in all shipped packages!! ?? ;)

I spent almost a decade as a Manufacturing Manager and we spent a lot of time training employees on safety items, regulations, PPE (personal protective equipment) and best practices. Some memorable moments spent working with the employee safety committee on new chemicals we introduced as we studied their accompanying MSDS's (material safety data sheet). Some of the terminology used was quite terrifying and a few vague risks were worded in such a way as to make anyone afraid even though we commonly have these items in our homes.

Example --> Isopropyl Alcohol:
    "Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact" :eek:
    "Vapor may travel considerable distance to source of ignition and flash back. CAUTION: MAY BURN WITH NEAR INVISIBLE FLAME." :eek:

You did a great job capturing the whole essence in that visual graphic!

4. Pvt-Public Aug 15, 2016

Why, is something wrong with the watch? Otherwise why would you open the watch and void any warranty un-necessarily?

5. Pvt-Public Aug 15, 2016

Why, is something wrong with the watch? Otherwise why would you open the watch and void any warranty un-necessarily?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2016

7. gostang9 Aug 15, 2016

I want to have the dial and hands changed (modified). Also, see Al's link to my other thread looking for a qualified watchmaker. I didn't specify more details here to avoid going even further off topic...

8. Pvt-Public Aug 15, 2016

cicindela likes this.
  9. gostang9 Aug 15, 2016

A fair point. When I researched for a base watch to modify, I initially thought a 5 to 15 year old watch would be a great value and make the most sense. I fully expected such an age watch would need a full service, and that it would make sense to get the mid done at the same time as the service. Then I discovered that the watchmakers who perform the service I'd want are not willing to do the dial modification (my own naïveté). As I searched further I discovered I could get a new grey market watch a similar price to the 10 to 15 y/o and since the older pieces wouldn't come with a warranty anyhow, it doesn't really make a difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. grizzlycanuck Aug 30, 2016

I'm only reviving this thread because I just noticed this.....I hope Paul is involved?? It looks just a tiny bit familiar to the one I bought here

https://instagram.com/p/BJwHefQj5fx/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Aug 30, 2016

I came here to post the same thing...here is a screen shot

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 7.39.32 PM.png
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 30, 2016

That's not cool.

Mr. O likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 30, 2016

I know Paul's item hasn't got world wide patents, but maybe @KRLYUZH can shed some light?

14. repoman Aug 31, 2016

Let's not jump to any conclusions. This could be an OEM arrangement that works to everyone's advantage. Have to admit I'm curious.

15. Pahawi Aug 31, 2016

I have nothing to do with them. An exact copy, just in aluminum - how sweet. Some people.......::censored::

Think I mentioned earlier in the thread that someone probably would steal the idea and mass produce them, so no big surprice, actually....

So much for our little father/son project, I guess..... It's been fun as long it lasted, and I had told him this might happen. Not the end of the world, just a bit annoying....

Thanks for all the support, guys - it's been fun :thumbsup:

Thanks,
    Paul

16. Rman Aug 31, 2016

Despicable.

marco likes this.
  17. flyingout Aug 31, 2016

Well, hang on a minute. I wasn't interested in opening my watch myself. Until now. I still may not open it, but a tool in my back pocket might be just the thing.

18. pascs Aug 31, 2016

To make an exact copy and mass produce it is pretty crap ::censored::

Mr. O and marco like this.
  19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 31, 2016

Who is lunar oyster? It's a name I recognise

20. watchlovr Aug 31, 2016

To be fair, I have one in nylon (hard plastic), made by an Irish chap, bought from TZ-UK a few years ago, so our own Pahari is not the first to make these.