Forums Latest Members
  1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Feb 18, 2024

Hi
    I would be grateful for advise on which battery should be used in a Rolex 17000 oyster quartz please?
    I am reading conflicting info between 1.5 and 1.55 volts batteries.
    I also seem to remember reading that non metal pliers should be used when accessing the battery and wondered if anyone has experience of doing it themselves?
    I’m contemplating doing it myself as my watch maker has retired, and if the above is true I’m concerned that my local jewellers will potentially damage the movement using metal pliers.

thanks in advance.

2. Canuck Feb 18, 2024

First, I suggest you’ll need to remove the case back. Once you’re past that hurdle, just duplicate the battery that is in it. Is there such a thing as a 1.5-volt watch battery? The typical voltage is 1.55 volt, although my test meter usually reads 1.59 volts. When you’re done, how will you waterproof test it? The gasket should be replaced.

Mods likes this.
  3. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Mar 12, 2024

@Canuck
    I hadn’t really considered replacing the seals until you mentioned it, so thanks for that. I had some free time today and decided to head to the Rolex Service Centre in St James, hoping that heavy rain would mean it was less likely to be busy.
    It was empty when I arrived and they took to watch off me and advised they would change the battery as well as the case back & crown seals, IF after their assessment they believed the watch didn’t require a service.

Fortunately the watch was running fine after the battery was replaced. And as well as replacing the seals they cleaned the watch and removed a thumb print from the movement!

So perfect outcome.

IMG_5983.png

RevZMan123 likes this.