Forums Latest Members

Oyster bracelet - resizing guidance

1. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 31, 2021

Okay bear with me, I'm a guy who normally wears everything on natos...

Preamble:

I'm starting to really love wearing my Explorer on the bracelet since it came back that way from service, and after the AD resized it. It's been reasonably cold, and on its current sizing, it's already fully extended, and does fit perfectly this way, but things are warming up.

I could bring it back to the AD for an adjustment (add a link but move everything back into the tightest fit, so I can then let it out when things warm up.)

Question:

Assuming I try this adjustment myself (The burgeon screwdriver I have appears to be the right size), is there a recommended place, given how things are currently looking, where I'd add that link? I'm thinking at the 6 o'clock side. But is that right/recommended? Want to do this once if I can, because I'm assuming I'm going to scratch the hell out of things! :)

Thanks!

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

2. wsfarrell Mar 31, 2021

6 o'clock side looks right, so as to best center the clasp on your wrist while wearing.

marcn likes this.
  3. Dan S Mar 31, 2021

Add it to the side that makes the bracelet most comfortable for you. Every wrist is different. Don't mess up the screw-heads, use a screwdriver that is a perfect fit. And you may want to heat the bracelet beforehand, to soften any loctite that may have been used.

marcn and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Mar 31, 2021

To further Dan’s caution- don’t try to free hand this in the air (one hand holding watch, other using screw-driver)- it’s a recipe for disaster. If you have a small vice, fold over a cloth and wedge the bracelet into the vice with cloth just to hold it snugly, then use the driver making sure you are perfectly perpendicular to the screw head (I usually put my head over it rather than looking at an angle). A little downward pressure will ensure you don’t slip. It sounds like a cumbersome process but it’s actually really quick.

marcn likes this.
  5. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 31, 2021

Thanks gents, much appreciated guidance on all of this.

It was interesting to watch them adjust it at the AD. They laid the watch a some fancy-schmacy Rolex bracelet vice with built-in heater and digital temperature read out. Have seen the YouTube video where the presenter had a tiny kitchen torch, and suffice to say, I won't take that approach, but may put a clean tip in my temp-controlled soldering iron to apply a bit of localized heat.

6. offrdmania Mar 31, 2021

Normally, the inner blades of the clasp should be centered on the bottom side of your wrist. Do not center the outer clasp cover or it will sit weird on your wrist and not feel right.

You need a 1.6mm hollow ground screwdriver for a perfect fit in the screw. As said above, you will need to break loose the locktight thats on the threads so you will need to apply quite a bit of downward pressure on the screw while backing it out.

7. Rado63 Mar 31, 2021

Yes the six o'clock side is where I would start. Unless a trip to the AD is far from you, why do it yourself, when the AD has all the tools, and the heating mechanism needed to loosen the locktite on the screw. The link is only about $65 if I am correct. They can adjust the links from side to side for you and get it fitting the best and if they damaged it, guess what they would have to fix it.

8. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 31, 2021

This makes perfect sense, and was kind of what I assumed. In my first image, adding a link on the 6 o'clock side, but then moving in the adjustments on the 12 o'clock side basically keeps the inner hinged parts of the clasp centered and level with the inside of my wrist.

Got that screwdriver, and really want to be able to DIY this, but also know that even with just simple spring bars, I've never not scratched a watch, and this... this ain't spring bars! ;)

I've still got some spare links from when they sized it down (6.5" wrist here) and am going to give this a good think before diving in. Will post pics if I end up doing a DIY here!

I don't care too much if I do scratch it up a bit, but if I can somehow avoid that, well that would be a nice flex moment for me.

9. vibe Apr 1, 2021

It’s really not that difficult

marco and marcn like this.
  10. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 1, 2021

Words heard before a string of expletives. ;)

Still thinking this over... No, still over-thinking this.

11. JwRosenthal Apr 1, 2021

If you are uncomfortable, take it to your local AD next time you’re in that area and they can do it for you (should be free).

marcn likes this.
  12. stevec14 Apr 1, 2021

Honestly, Rolex and Tudor bracelets are fairly easy to resize as the screws are the pins. A bit of practice and you’ll be able to do easy.....as above, take your time and all will be good.

now omega bracelets on the other hand.....good grief.

marco and marcn like this.
  13. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 6, 2021

Wanted to give a quick follow up, in case any of this is helpful to others.

Have to say, it came apart with only very minor torque needed. Feel like I got lucky with that.

All these photos are after the fact, and close inspection of the screw slots (which I hadn't done until today) showed me that the AD must've needed to apply considerably more force when they did the original sizing, since those indentations were there before I touched it.

IMG_2850D.jpeg

Used my fingers to keep the screwdriver blade from side-to-slide slippage (though, it still slipped, but at least only once!)

IMG_2867.jpeg

IMG_2855.jpeg

Moved the inside clasp set points to their narrowest and it's all fitting perfectly now! Ready for the summer heat!

Purple loctite arrives tomorrow, so today was a dry run! :D

Dan S and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. JwRosenthal Apr 6, 2021

Yup- just hold it steady and keep the pressure downward and you’re good- takes just a minute. I’ve told my lady these bracelets are too fussy to resize easily so she doesn’t take my watches :whistling:

marcn likes this.
  15. stevec14 Apr 7, 2021

Well done sir. Once you know how, it’s quite straightforward.

I know you should, but I’ve never used locktite on any of mine and no issues. Good for extra piece of mind however.

marcn likes this.