Ove Vivier 18k English Pocket Watch

I don’t know much about pocket watches but from what I gather this one is English. I can’t find any other examples with the maker on the dial Ove Vivier. I did find reference to one at the British museum which has been in their collection since 1958.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_1958-1201-1405

The address on the dial is now City University of London. I guess this watch pre dates the university which was established in the late 19th century as Northampton university. If any of you have seen one like this or know where I can get more info that would be awesome.

That's an appealing pocket watch.

It would be great to have an example of a 19 century English pocket watch in its solid gold case.

Your watch's dial is still crisp and nice. Center second hand I see.

Very nice watch and unusual with centre seconds that early.

The hallmarks confused me for a while (the T date letter), but after consulting David Boettcher's site what I thought was an incorrect stamp shape now appears to be correct.

As can be seen below, the "T" in the rectangle was used in lieu of the shield for extra fine gold. From my research this T equates to 1894.

Regarding the case maker "JW", I offer two possibilities.

John Williams - Case maker, Great Sutton Street, Islington, London, 1808/1842
or
John West - Case maker, White Cross Street, London; later Banner Square, St Luke's, London 1822/1842.

OV_WatchCase.jpeg

Rose cut diamond end stone. Probably one of two.

FA55C735-207D-4A78-9F51-CFA79F91B92C.jpeg

Very interesting, thank you! I had not noticed that. What do you mean "probably one of two"?

Very nice watch and unusual with centre seconds that early.

The hallmarks confused me for a while (the T date letter), but after consulting David Boettcher's site what I thought was an incorrect stamp shape now appears to be correct.

As can be seen below, the "T" in the rectangle was used in lieu of the shield for extra fine gold. From my research this T equates to 1894.

Regarding the case maker "JW", I offer two possibilities.

John Williams - Case maker, Great Sutton Street, Islington, London, 1808/1842
or
John West - Case maker, White Cross Street, London; later Banner Square, St Luke's, London 1822/1842.

OV_WatchCase.jpeg

Thank you as well! The hallmark site is very helpful. Given the close proximity of 43 Spencer St. to Islington, I wonder if it is the first John Williams. If he was making cases from 1808 - 1842 as you mention, would this mean the case sat for half a century before it was used in this watch?

Thank you as well! The hallmark site is very helpful. Given the close proximity of 43 Spencer St. to Islington, I wonder if it is the first John Williams. If he was making cases from 1808 - 1842 as you mention, would this mean the case sat for half a century before it was used in this watch?

The dates I noted were registration dates, so it's quite possible that the companies were still in business well after that time.

Very interesting, thank you! I had not noticed that. What do you mean "probably one of two"?
@Canuck means that it is more than likely that there is another jewel for the lower pivot of the balance.

The dates I noted were registration dates, so it's quite possible that the companies were still in business well after that time.

That makes much more sense! Thanks!

@Canuck means that it is more than likely that there is another jewel for the lower pivot of the balance.

Understood!