Forums Latest Members

oris LE buyers - wth is wrong with you

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 16, 2019

Fair enough... still I had a gen x working for me who was a media math / negotiating wiz and could not communicate in writing to save her life.agree .. millennials and whatever is next... horrible writers. Handwriting? Fuggedaboutit!

2. Rman Aug 16, 2019

My first family cat was a tabby named Dinky.

ConElPueblo and Longbow like this.
  3. Longbow Aug 16, 2019

:( No, I had the Spectrum Patrol Car...no missiles, no pop-out occupants, no fun at all to be honest.

garryap17 and rob#1 like this.
  4. jhross98 Aug 16, 2019

My synopsis of this thread

garryap17, KeithS, apsm100 and 6 others like this.
  5. Longbow Aug 16, 2019

My first cat was going to be called Kato but it couldn’t understand Esperanto as it never paid any attention when it’s name was called so we just called it Inky in the end.

6. JwRosenthal Aug 16, 2019

Totally understand. I guess I was the last of my generation (Nixon baby) to learn penmanship, cursive, grammar and basic English skills. I punctuate, capitalize and proofread my text messages. The art of communication has been lost in the technological revolution....and not just writing.

Larry S likes this.
  7. Rumar89 Aug 16, 2019

Favorite post I’ve read in quite a while. Love the colloquialisms.

8. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 16, 2019

i'm all about the context and the jest............obv dime store intellectuals need not apply...........kaBooOOOOOOm

jhross98 likes this.
  9. CaptainWinsor Aug 16, 2019

What a bizarre thread. Looks like one just sold here. Did some research and have to say I don’t get it. The watch or Hodinkee.

Edited Aug 16, 2019
    watch3s likes this.
  10. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 16, 2019

shout out to all my grobnik friends that can't read da engrish.

11. JwRosenthal Aug 16, 2019

I don’t get the Speedy Tuesday, or the Ultrman craze...the hand is orange...right....is that it...It’s still a Speedmaster? I get the nuances, and the subtleties of collecting very rare models, but it’s not something I am into- I have my 1 Speedmaster and I love it, and that’s my Speedmaster, I don’t shop for another since I have one.
    Now when it comes to vinyl records..yes, I own every major pressing of David Bowie’s Ziggy- including the first Brit pressing, the MOFI, the LE reissue from 5 years ago...they all have the same music...but they are all mastered differently...just as nuanced and just as crazy.

12. apsm100 applysome! Aug 17, 2019

20-something here. I had to read the rest of this thread to get what he was talking about-- why not just write normally?

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. ConElPueblo Aug 17, 2019

Well, here's one non-native English speaker who understood the OP :thumbsup:

That said, questioning value for money or sanity issues re. collecting watches (as opposed to buying a watch for primarily telling the time) seems to me to be issues where respecting other people's different opinions and motives should be a no-brainer.

I recently paid $2.5k for an unserviced, beat up old watch from an unfashionable brand. Even needs to have the near-unobtainable crystal replaced. Came without a strap, too.

I've stopped questioning other peoples' choices in this hobby.

mikekchc, KeithS, OHS and 7 others like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 17, 2019

Hodinkee do it so members on here and other forums can make snide remarks about how the buyers are simple dupes who have been suckered into buying an overpriced timepiece on the back of the Hoodinkee name/brand/marketing hype. This bolsters feelings of superiority and self-worth among the WIS community and is therefore a good thing. A secondary benefit is that by sucking some of the disposable income from these buyers, it leaves the market in damaged/degraded/fubar beautifully patinated and honestly aged older watches freer from the depredations of these undeserving and unappreciative ignoramuses.

Everybody wins.

Heaven forfend that the buyers might actually like or appreciate these Hodinkee offerings and have made rational buying choices (either to retain or to sell for a profit) - that would completely undermine the feeling of superiority of the commentators. :whistling:

15. tyrantlizardrex Aug 17, 2019

If you're claiming that the LE is a rip off, then you need a data point to work from - the Oris Diver 65 40mm on bracelet is that data point.

The Oris Diver 65 40mm stainless steel on bracelet (01 733 7707 4354-07 8 20 18) has an MRSP of $2200 - this is the price it was at launch, and at that time, you couldn't get a discount on one.

Now that they are readily available, and in the grey market, you can buy one new for $1650 - not the "street price of $800-$1000" that you claim - which is a chunky discount, but that discount does not affect the MRSP of a future model of the Diver 65, be it LE or not.

The "Hodinkee markup" is the difference between MRSP of the closest model, and the MRSP of the Hodinkee watch.

Which as I've said, for what you get does not seem unreasonable.

I wonder which of our old familiar banned members/trolls you are?

Edited Aug 17, 2019
    Larry S likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

Your English is far better than most native speakers I know.

Oh, and was the unfashionable watch that Mido chrono that ended on eBay last week? That thing was awesome! And you know I love my Mido’s.

ConElPueblo and Larry S like this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 17, 2019

I think we should all try to post in Spanish for a week, then in French for a week, Flemish for a couple of days because .... it’s Flemish, and then German for a bit.

if we do that we will feel superior and inferior alternatively and the world will achieve balance.

As for the watch, it’s ok. Not the craziest markup I’ve seen at HDNK

Mad Dog, Darlinboy and Larry S like this.
  18. ConElPueblo Aug 17, 2019

Ooh, must have missed that one! No, just an old Certina, nothing too special :)

JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

I have always been jealous that most Europeans are multi-lingual. They share borders with other nationalities and it’s just understood from youth that knowing multiple languages is how you communicate with your neighbors.
    Here in the US, we were offered Spanish or French, it was very rudimentary and forgotten within a year of leaving school (unless you grew up in a western state where is was necessary to communicate with the people who owned the land before we took it by force). We still see legislation for a National language despite the fact that was established 200 years ago, and the majority of Americans are afraid of anything “ferrin”.
    Very sad.

Nobel Prize, Mad Dog and apsm100 like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Aug 17, 2019

And as a sidebar, what I love about OF as opposed to other watch forums is that the OP started this thread as a bash on Hondinkee and it has quickly changed into a dialogue on the subjective nature of collecting limited edition pieces and the subtitles of language.

Mad Dog and Larry S like this.