Forums Latest Members
  1. HAL9000-B May 11, 2022

Hi Friends, I am looking for a next project to bring back to life.

Got an Offer for this strange Omega Vintage Tank but something is weird about it.

Looking through the Web I found out that the movement is from around 1929 (Should be Cal. F20 )

1. Silver/Chrome Housing but Gold indices and hands (would omega do that?)

2. I just found one or two pictures with this housing and a basic boring dial and Arabic numbers. Does anybody know anything about this housing?

3. Most pictures I saw of Omega Tank Watches have a narrow crown which is slightly bigger than the housing.
    Does that mean, the crown in the photo is not from this model?

4. Are Omega Watchfaces with just indices even a thing in the 1930s?

Thanks upfront for your Input and Greetings from Berlin, Germany.

Artur

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 11, 2022

It is a cal 20F which was produced from 1930 to 1935. Case looks correct. Omega had dials with gold indices in 1930s, I'll see if I can find a reference. Crown looks to be a replacement.

@Tire-comedon may know a bit more about it.

valery70 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 12, 2022

Here's one very similar but with radium indices. I'd say your watch would be very close to this date.

IMG_1036.JPG

Waltesefalcon, HAL9000-B and Mark020 like this.
  4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 12, 2022

Looks ok so far. The crown is the least of your problems. Gold Indizes and gold hands on a steel case was not uncommon then. I need a picture from the dial out of the case for better evaluation. Hands at 8.15 position. And an actual picture from the crown.

SpikiSpikester and HAL9000-B like this.
  5. HAL9000-B May 12, 2022

Thanks a lot to both of you!

I asked the seller for better pictures.... let's see...

Found this dial also (With Radium) but haven't seen one with gold arrows and golden dotted lines.

This is a non-runner and the crystal is beyond repair.

Since this would be my second watch I will disassemble and Service, I want to figure out what money there is to invest and therefore in what range this watch is worth buying.

Any ideas on finding a rounded square crystal that fits?

How to know what Mainspring can be used (let's say I want to insert a modern one with a more linear Power-Curve)?

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 12, 2022

I couldn’t find a listing for the Omega cal. 20F on the Ranfft Pink Pages, but he did have something on the Tissot cal. 20, which was very similar.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Tissot_20

The mainspring size is inside the link. You should be able to order a modern white metal alloy mainspring with that size from your supplier.

Good luck with the project.
    gatorcpa

HAL9000-B likes this.
  7. HAL9000-B May 12, 2022

Got the Pictures!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Tire-comedon First Globemaster May 12, 2022

Looks OK to me also. I will give the specs of the 20F mainspring tomorrow evening, when I have access to my documentation.

9. HAL9000-B May 12, 2022

Ok, let me be blunt. In view of the condition of the watchdial and the overall condition of housing and crystal.

What amount would be appropriate for a non running watch like this without dying of regret :)

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 12, 2022

It's your call. If you do not want to " loose " money on it, regarding the dial with ereased omega logo and a bit of text as well, with a working fine movement, you should stay within $ 700 max. If the crystal has structural damage, finding and adapting a curved one might be the biggest challenge. Old watchmakers might have a few.... The dial can be cleaned a bit to look not that dirty. Buy a jewellers silver cleaning solution liquid. Not too strong . Set it up on a plastic surface with a small Espresso cup of Luke warm water. Use plastic/ bronze tweezers. Grab the underside feet of the dial with tweezer and immerse the dial in the liquid , lightly swirling it and take out after 3 seconds. Inspect the cleaning result and if the rest of the omega printing has not disappeared, either do it again or straight into the water with dial face up. After a minute out again. Grab foot with tweezer again and use a hairdryer on Cold to blow off all residue water until dry.

Edited May 12, 2022
    dootcho and Pun like this.
  11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 12, 2022

Is the case stainless steel or chrome plate?

12. HAL9000-B May 12, 2022

Thanks for the Tip. The watch is not running but since the movement is basic and all parts are there, this would be the simplest part. Do you mean 700Usd including the watch and all parts?

There are a couple on eBay. In Way better condition for 400-500. Why should be this one 700?

For now I am not into selling, just collecting and learning but I like the idea that I am able to rise the value of an Object with my ingenuity and Effort.

13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 12, 2022

700 for everything. Cleaned. Crystal & dial done. Movement serviced. Fixed lugs straighten. Max. $ 700.

14. HAL9000-B May 13, 2022

From the look it's plate
    Looks like chrome to me

15. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 13, 2022

I find a chrome plated case that has degraded over time as quite unsightly. It doesn't age well imo.
    The techniques used for case restoration for chrome and stainless are different.
    I have a similar type of watch with chrome plating for which I sent to Replateit for restoration.

upload_2022-5-13_6-31-35.png
    upload_2022-5-13_6-28-54.png

tamura likes this.
  16. HAL9000-B May 13, 2022

Looks nice, i would try to restore the edgelines a little.

Anyway thanks guys. For now, I think the watch is not worth it. The seller wants now 190€ for this watch. Compared to the effort and Money I have to put into this, I would say 90-120€ is more realistic. What do you say?