Original or relumed 2998 dial?

Posts
387
Likes
293
Hello OF,

Been staring at this dial for a awhile and wanted to share with you to get some extra eyes on it. It does feel like a relume too me. Main reason, I’m use to clearly seeing a step in the lume plot through the tritium. These feel a bit puffy. But I’ve also heard that this is sometimes accepted for trit dials as well.

Let me know your thoughts

 
Posts
357
Likes
1,043
From the even shade, texture and 'vanish' looking stains around the plots, I'd say relume.
 
Posts
2,317
Likes
5,712
There are a few other things I would be looking at before the lume... 😉
 
Posts
430
Likes
689
What is the reaction to UV light? and what does the dosimeter say?
 
Posts
2,317
Likes
5,712
What is the reaction to UV light? and what does the dosimeter say?
Not relevant in this particular case... 😗
 
Posts
905
Likes
2,489
It’s derived from a 105.002? or 003?
 
Posts
357
Likes
1,043
Ah I see, it's probably a Service dial. Didn't even look for the Swiss Made.
 
Posts
2,086
Likes
2,898
Besides this dial has been manipulated (I think removed "PROFESSIONAL" and "T"s) and relumed, the diameter of the minute track isn't matching, it is too large.

This one is a correct 2998 dial:

IMG_6657_e.jpg
 
Posts
1,911
Likes
3,927
Minute markers don’t quite reach the step so not a 2998 dial. I believe there are 105.002 dials like this though as I’ve seen a few but haven’t seen any discussion on that point, also I can’t see any sign of removed T’s although they could still be there on closer inspection. The clear marks around the lume plots do suggest a relume.
 
Posts
2,086
Likes
2,898
Minute markers don’t quite reach the step so not a 2998 dial. I believe there are 105.002 dials like this though as I’ve seen a few but haven’t seen any discussion on that point, also I can’t see any sign of removed T’s although they could still be there on closer inspection. The clear marks around the lume plots do suggest a relume.

I checked the font and position of the "SWISS MADE" and the font of "Speedmaster" to see it was most likely a tritium Professional dial.
 
Posts
905
Likes
2,489
I stand corrected, have a look at the E on OMEGA. It’s short, so should suggest to be from a 145.012? But no clear signs of covered T’s or Professional to what i can see. But the letter E is a tell tale to me now when having a closer look. What does the jury think?
Edited:
 
Posts
1,911
Likes
3,927
I checked the font and position of the "SWISS MADE" and the font of "Speedmaster" to see it was most likely a tritium Professional dial.
You’re right. Also light marks on the dial where the ‘Professional’ has likely been removed.
 
Posts
1,911
Likes
3,927
I stand corrected, have a look at the E on OMEGA. It’s short, so should suggest to be from a 145.012? But no clear signs of covered T’s or Professional to what i can see. But the letter E is a tell tale to me now when having a closer look. What does the jury think?
Yes I think you’re correct 145.012
 
Posts
2,317
Likes
5,712
Besides this dial has been manipulated (I think removed "PROFESSIONAL" and "T"s) and relumed,
have a look at the E on OMEGA. It’s short, so should suggest to be from a 145.012?
You’re right. Also light marks on the dial where the ‘Professional’ has likely been removed.

Bravo! 👍

This dial obviously started its life as a wide T 145.012 dial that had the T’s and PROFESSIONAL removed. Badly.
It’s also relumed. (But as I stated above, at this point not important anymore...).
 
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
Very educational thread. When I first looked at the dial I noticed the strange texture of the paint under "Speedmaster", which made me suspicious, but I wouldn't have picked up on the "E". 👍
 
Posts
2,086
Likes
2,898
Very educational thread.

I agree with you and it seems we often share common points. But this thread could have been more efficient and informative for the OP, if it wouldn't have been turned into a guessing game from the beginning.

BTW: The OP? Are you still there? How do you think we helped you?