Forums Latest Members
  1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2019

For various reasons, I believe this to be an original dial, but it's an interesting one.

IMG_0083.jpeg

Easier to see under the loupe, but the printing for "Omega", "Automatic" and "Calendar" is one weight and color and "Seamaster" is another. It looks as though "Seamaster" was printed after "Omega", "Automatic", and "Calendar". I can well believe this.

The minute track vs the shields and arrows are not perfect. I suspect that the first printing was off a bit, because the minute track is off and "Seamaster" seems to align with the shields and arrows better.

The printing is just too good to be a redial, in my opinion, outside of the minute track.

Here's some speculation: this is a US Collection piece, with 11/16" between the lugs. I've seen a few other dials nearly identical to this one. Perhaps Omega sent the rejects out to be used in different countries?

We'll never know. But it makes me wonder.

Tom

janice&fred likes this.
  2. Dan S Dec 13, 2019

So the minute track is a re-dial, but the rest is original?

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2019

I think the dial wasn't situated just right when it was printed.

Tom

janice&fred likes this.
  4. Dan S Dec 13, 2019

I doubt it. Some of it is shifted clockwise and some counter-clockwise. I also think it's strange that the "Seamaster" printing gets bolder from left to right, and is angled with respect to "CALENDAR". The 12 o'clock applied marker is misoriented with respect to the Omega logo. It's super messy overall. The only thing I like is the radium burn.

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2019

The word "Calendar" is wonky too, which is weird.

It looks half perfect and half... not.

Tom

6. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

I think it is a redial. Not only because I would at least expect a "SWISS MADE" at 6 o'clock.

Is it just the picture, or do the 4 and 5 o'clock markers have a different size/shape?

Edited Dec 14, 2019
  7. Edward53 Dec 14, 2019

That's my opinion too. These things could and did happen. - note the misalignment around 11 and 12 on this Seamaster de Ville. The linen dial is unrefinished.

Ludovic 015.jpg

janice&fred likes this.
  8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 14, 2019

Occam’s razor = redial.

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 14, 2019

Yeah, too bad this isn't philately...

[​IMG]

DaveK and OMEGuy like this.
  10. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

Yes. Some things are wrong. As upside down as the plane on your stamp. ;)

11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 14, 2019

That’s a fascinating observation. In the stamp world, the errors would fetch a premium

OMEGuy likes this.
  12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 14, 2019

One has lume, one has not.

Tom

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 14, 2019

The lettering has serifs, however. Which redialers got that right?

I don’t know if you can see it all zoomed up but the ink is different for “Seamaster”. I think it was added later.

Tom

14. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

Your initial question was concerning the dial, wrong, right, or not perfect, right? I'd still say wrong, since it has been redone. Not wrong in a way that it wouldn't look ok.

15. rkman11 Dec 14, 2019

Not sure the point of this thread, it seems clear to many, myself included, that the dial has been redone. You disagree. It’s your watch, presumably, so you should just wear it and enjoy it.

OMEGuy likes this.
  16. Edward53 Dec 14, 2019

I assumed the point of the thread was simply to canvass opinions?

The words Omega, Automatic and Calendar have clearly been applied separately from the word Seamaster. 99% they have been printed, given the accuracy of the lettering and the way the ink stands proud of the surface - the other 1% allowing for a redialler of staggering talent. AFAIK redials are usually done by hand and I've never come across redialled text so obviously printed, which is why I think this one is original, but if someone can point to similar printed redials then I and (some at least of) the rest of us will have learned something interesting and useful.

It would be nice to see whether the rest of the case and the movement are in the same clean condition as the dial.

17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 14, 2019

This one got it real good (I created a thread about this one here) .

IMG_7522.jpg IMG_7528.jpg IMG_7566-1.jpg

18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 14, 2019

Thanks for posting that. A direct comparison!

Tom

19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 14, 2019

I've had the watch serviced. I've hand-polished the case, and I do not have a pic of the movement after service, sorry. Nor do I feel like opening it because this one actually has some water resistance.

Tom

IMG_0207.jpeg

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 14, 2019

My call: redial, but, a good one. You asked for opinions and I base mine on the nasty 'ster' printing, awful minute track alignment near 9-11 and also the supporting evidence of the irregular lume which suggests prior intervention. I have never seen anything leave Bienne (or Geneve or wherever) with such a dial, yes there will be variation, but not that bad IMO. The otherwise cleanliness of the dial is also suggestive of dial intervention.

Edited Dec 14, 2019
    OMEGuy likes this.