Ordering from Japan: Customs?

I just ordered a watch from a Japanese seller ( via Chrono24), and part of the paperwork they sent was a Homeland Security Customs form. It looks like this form is intended for professional Importers, but I’m not sure. For those of you who have purchased from Japan before, what does the customs process look like? Do I need to fill out this form and submit it somewhere?

thanks in advance!

What country are you importing to?

When I've bought from Japanese sellers to import to the UK, they ship via DHL who take care of all the paperwork. I simply receive an invoice via email and the watch is delivered upon cleared payment.

Like 2
Imported to France once from Japan with C24 (professional seller).
I had to pay VAT (20%) to UPS once package arrived in France and beofre delivery

It sounds like you are importing into the US. The courier (e.g. DHL) will need that form to calculate the correct customs duty. There are many threads on this topic. You can find the duty calculations by googling using "harmonized tariff schedule watches", but it will probably take you some time to figure it out. The general idea is that duties are less if most of the value is in the movement, and a smaller percentage is in the case and bracelet/strap. Often this is appropriate for the types of watches I buy (collectible vintage watches). Of course, without knowing the details of your watch, it's hard to say and you need to decide for yourself how to allocate the value.

In my experience, sellers (or proxy bidding services) often send you this form and claim that they will transmit it to the courier, but then the courier sends you the form again. So be prepared to fill it out twice.
Edited:

Like 2
Should have negotiated a way for the seller to send via EMS/Postal Service to avoid customs fees. If they make you fill out that Watch and Clock worksheet, make sure you put as much as possible of the value on the movement and the least on the bracelet/strap and case to minimize the amount you have to pay.

Thank you for the information. The watch is indeed going to the US via DHL. The seller also provided a completed watch worksheet with values of the various component parts, and the movement is indeed listed as being more valuable than the case.

I guess my next move is just to fill out the customs sheet and make copies of it and the worksheet to submit to DHL in case the seller didn’t already give them to the courier (which I’m suspecting they did — they’ve sold thousands of watches to US buyers)?

The watch — a Speedmaster Racing — is scheduled to be delivered this Friday.

Like 1
What was the purchase price of the watch? Is the case precious metal?

What was the purchase price of the watch? Is the case precious metal?

It’s a white/silver face Omega Speedmaster in steel (no precious metals) purchased for $2633 USD.

If DHL needs the completed worksheet, they should have contacted you by email or SMS text (assuming you gave that info to the seller and the seller provided it to DHL). Make sure to complete it quickly when they ask for it as DHL charges daily storage fees. And I want to reiterate that if you fill it out, put the majority of the value, like 90%, on the movement. Nobody really knows the value of each component outside of Omega, so it's pretty much just made up. Just make sure the total adds up to the declared value. The amount you are charged in customs can differ by $50-$200 on your Speedy Racing depending on what you fill out for case and bracelet/strap cost.

Like 1
Don't sweat it. You'll get a bill from DHL for a couple hundred dollars max.
Edited:

Like 2
If DHL needs the completed worksheet, they should have contacted you by email or SMS text (assuming you gave that info to the seller and the seller provided it to DHL). Make sure to complete it quickly when they ask for it as DHL charges daily storage fees. And I want to reiterate that if you fill it out, put the majority of the value, like 90%, on the movement. Nobody really knows the value of each component outside of Omega, so it's pretty much just made up. Just make sure the total adds up to the declared value. The amount you are charged in customs can differ by $50-$200 on your Speedy Racing depending on what you fill out for case and bracelet/strap cost.

thank you. The form is already filled out by the seller, with the value of the movement listed as roughly 3x that of the case.

Just so you understand how the process works, U.S. customs assesses duty to different parts of the watch (case, bracelet and movement) at different rates and they generally rely on the allocation of the overall value of the watch to those three components as set forth on the watch worksheet. The movement is assessed at the lowest rate of the three components, so most sellers who are familiar with the process will allocate most of the value there and then split the remainder between the case and the strap/bracelet. If the watch is sent to the US via EMS (international post), US Customs usually won't even bother to look at anything valued at $2,500 or less. Unfortunately, this is not the case when the watch is sent via private couriers like DHL or FedEX because it's a profit center for them. You'll understand this when you get your invoice from DHL. In addition to whatever customs fees are assessed, the private couriers tack on their own fees that are variously labeled as "administrative," "storage," etc. When you think about the number of international shipments that they handle, those fees add up to big dollars. In my experience, DHL isn't too bad. FedEx is the worst. You have to pay the courier's bill before they will release and deliver the watch to you. You'll usually be notified via email and will be given the option to pay online.

Like 5
Just so you understand how the process works, U.S. customs assesses duty to different parts of the watch (case, bracelet and movement) at different rates and they generally rely on the allocation of the overall value of the watch to those three components as set forth on the watch worksheet. The movement is assessed at the lowest rate of the three components, so most sellers who are familiar with the process will allocate most of the value there and then split the remainder between the case and the strap/bracelet. If the watch is sent to the US via EMS (international post), US Customs usually won't even bother to look at anything valued at $2,500 or less. Unfortunately, this is not the case when the watch is sent via private couriers like DHL or FedEX because it's a profit center for them. You'll understand this when you get your invoice from DHL. In addition to whatever customs fees are assessed, the private couriers tack on their own fees that are variously labeled as "administrative," "storage," etc. When you think about the number of international shipments that they handle, those fees add up to big dollars. In my experience, DHL isn't too bad. FedEx is the worst. You have to pay the courier's bill before they will release and deliver the watch to you. You'll usually be notified via email and will be given the option to pay online.

Thank you! That is very helpful information.

US customs by can be a PIA. If over a certain dollar amount, they often require you to value each component of the watch. Be sure it matches up to the sellers information. You’ll also need to pay customs a fee before they release it.

I want to thank those of you who have chimed in to help; I am new to this world and appreciate the input and guidance.
I think I have it figured out; the seller sent me Watch worksheet with the following values (first value is Yen, then the approximate USD value next to it):

Total watch value: 379,770 ($2633)
Movement: 265,838 (~$1860)
Case: 94,943 (~$665)
Bracelet: 18,989 (~$133).

If I'm reading the Customs code correctly, there's a flat fee for the movement ($1.53) and then the fee for the case is 4.2% and the bracelet is 9.8%. So, what I'll owe DHL is:

4.2% of $665 = ~$28
9.8% of $133 = ~$13
plus the $1.53 movement fee

So I'll owe less than $45 (around $42.50) for customs? Am I doing that correctly?
And assuming that the seller submitted the watch worksheet to DHL (which I am assuming they did, as they sent it to me at the same time they sent me shipping info), I'll receive a bill from DHL prior to the watch being delivered?

Thanks again!

I'm just going to say that the information provided on that form is going to the US government, and is legally required to be accurate to the best of your knowledge. If some members are comfortable attempting to game the system, that's their choice, but I don't think they should be telling the OP to do anything that he isn't comfortable with.

OP: in addition to the customs duty, DHL will also charge you fees to submit the paperwork and handle the customs process. It will probably be something like an additional $50. They will send you an invoice when the watch reaches Cincinnati (or wherever), and they won't deliver until you pay. So keep an eye on your email. And even if the seller sent them the worksheet, they might also contact you to ask for it again. Often they also ask for your SSN.

Like 1
I'm just going to say that the information provided on that form is going to the US government, and is legally required to be accurate to the best of your knowledge. If some members are comfortable attempting to game the system, that's their choice, but I don't think they should be telling the OP to do anything that he isn't comfortable with.

OP: in addition to the customs duty, DHL will also charge you fees to submit the paperwork and handle the customs process. It will probably be something like an additional $50. They will send you an invoice when the watch reaches Cincinnati (or wherever), and they won't deliver until you pay. So keep an eye on your email. And even if the seller sent them the worksheet, they might also contact you to ask for it again. Often they also ask for your SSN.
Correct and I agree. Compared to duty and tax assessments levied in many other countries, US Customs is very reasonable and it's foolish to try to save a few dollars by gaming the system.

Like 1

Great -- thank you. So it sounds like I should plan on paying something around $100 total in fees, and it might end up being a little less than that.

I had a recent purchase from Japan of a Swiss SS watch with bracelet (not a chronograph though). The purchase price was $2475, the shipping was $30, and the total customs with fees was about $120.

Like 1
I'll receive a bill from DHL prior to the watch being delivered?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure about DHL, but I had a UPS package that had to go through US Customs (originated from UK) and get taxed on the value. UPS delivered it and left it at my door oddly enough without needing a signature or payment for the Customs bill. They mailed me a bill ($125 or so) a month later. Funny thing is the letter I got said the bill was due by a certain date, which had already passed. I called the # on the letter and paid by cc over phone. This was in late 2021 btw. I thought it was odd they delivered without signature or telling me I'd get a bill or even how much it would be...I had a rough idea myself as I filled out the paperwork for the sender with HTS codes.