Ordering from Japan: Customs?

U.S. Customs is like a box of chocolates--you never know what you're going to get. My experiences have been all over the board.

Like 2
U.S. Customs is like a box of chocolates--you never know what you're going to get. My experiences have been all over the board.
That is very true. Even with DHL, I've occasionally have a watch just pass through with no charge.

That is very true. Even with DHL, I've occasionally have a watch just pass through with no charge.

Same here. My recent purchase from Hiroki was shipped via DHL to the U.S. with no forms and no charge.

Same. I've had several DHL shipments from Japan with no customs fees. Had one Seiko with a 7% fee last year. Just received an omega from Japan and paid 1.5% in customs fees despite having precious metal parts?
Edited:

The customs duty is related to the value of the watch, but the fees that DHL charges are fixed dollar amounts, so the overall percentage will vary depending on the value of the watch.

Like 1
Good for you. Brazilian import taxes would be around 85%...
60% federal, 25% state.

FWIW, I bought a Speedmaster Racing from a Japanese seller. IIRC I paid around $2,700 for it and DHL hit me up for sixty-something bucks in import duties. I paid it online with a credit card and my watch showed up a few days later. No sweat.

FWIW, I bought a Speedmaster Racing from a Japanese seller. IIRC I paid around $2,700 for it and DHL hit me up for sixty-something bucks in import duties. I paid it online with a credit card and my watch showed up a few days later. No sweat.

Wow. If importing into the UK I’d pay literally ten times that in duty

Holland too, add. would have been €$581.

Yep, likewise imported my Rising Sun from a Japanese dealer via C24. DHL shipping and they took the 20% to cover VAT online a day after the watch had been shipped. All very smooth though and arrived within a few days of purchase.

Like 1
I imported a brand new Tokyo 2020 Speedmaster two years ago, US customs charge was 1.8% of the total cost (and that included the DHL fee for doing the paperwork). It's really peanuts for a steel watch.

Like 2
I have purchased from Japan ebay in the past and been burned by extortionate customs fees.

Unless it’s a great price I would avoid.