Option to "Extract from the archives"

Posts
2
Likes
1
Dear All,

Considering that Omega's "Extract from the archives" has no specific date to resume, would you know of options to get the history of a Vintage Omega timepice?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards from Sao Paulo / Brazil!
 
Posts
3,148
Likes
6,548
Hi and welcome: which aspects of an EoA from Omega are important for you? Read the content of an EoA carefully and check, what is NOT confirmed! 😉
 
Posts
2
Likes
1
Hi and welcome: which aspects of an EoA from Omega are important for you? Read the content of an EoA carefully and check, what is NOT confirmed! 😉
Dear Fallout Boy (I really love Fallout game, by the way! 😀), thank you for your reply.
I found some examples of certificates here, and basically what is really important is the production date and the country if was first delivered to.
All other information seems easily confirmed in the timepiece.
 
Posts
804
Likes
1,473
I found some examples of certificates here, and basically what is really important is the production date and the country if was first delivered to.
You can get a rough estimate of the production year from the movement serial number using any of a number of sources on the internet. It's not as definitive as an Extract, but, depending on the watch reference, could be accurate to within a few calendar years.

As for the country of delivery, you might get lucky and find an import code stamped on the movement. For example, "OXG" indicates that the watch was imported into the United States by Norman Morris. Those codes were not used in all countries, however. The specific movement might also provide some information. Countries such as the US based their tariffs on the number of jewels in the movement, so Omega created modified movements with fewer jewels for those markets.
 
Posts
3,604
Likes
7,823
If you have a watch you are curious about you can post photos here and members will try to help.
 
Posts
3,148
Likes
6,548
Dear Fallout Boy (I really love Fallout game, by the way! 😀), thank you for your reply.
New to me - this game. 😉
I am from the pinball-aera...
 
Posts
193
Likes
246
As for the country of delivery, you might get lucky and find an import code stamped on the movement.

You could also find what someone with untrained eyes may think is a ding in the case and instead is a famous import stamp 😉
 
Posts
213
Likes
106
What was the actual reason Omega stopped issuing these? They were making money from them and customers liked them 🤷🏼‍♂️
 
Posts
3,148
Likes
6,548
What was the actual reason Omega stopped issuing these? They were making money from them and customers liked them 🤷🏼‍♂️
They were NOT ENOUGH making money from them..means: customers are annoying. ::stirthepot::
 
Posts
213
Likes
106
They were NOT ENOUGH making money from them..means: customers are annoying. ::stirthepot::
Those pesky customers, wanting to pay $150 for a piece of paper and 2 minutes of some intern’s time!
 
Posts
213
Likes
106
There are a few threads about it like this: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-closing-down-archives-extract-service.159969/

Basically there was a major event that happened, leading to two of the key staff involved in these no longer working at Omega and that sort of derailed things.
Always has to be someone who spoils it for everyone, what a shame.
Although I wonder how much it also has to do with that $1000 authenticity service they now seem to offer.. I would be stunned if anybody actually paid that for such a service
 
Posts
804
Likes
1,473
Those pesky customers, wanting to pay $150 for a piece of paper and 2 minutes of some intern’s time!
Pretty sure it could be much more than 2 minutes of effort. My understanding is that a significant part of the archives are still just paper documents that aren't cross-referenced, many of which have deteriorated quite a bit. I received an extract for a 1943 watch that incorrectly listed the date of manufacture as 1948. When I questioned Omega, they re-checked and confirmed the correct date. The error was attributed to misreading a hand-written "3" as an "8".
 
Posts
804
Likes
1,473
that $1000 authenticity service they now seem to offer
The "Certificate of Authenticity" service was suspended at the same time as the "Extract from the Archives" service, and for the same reason.
 
Posts
213
Likes
106
Pretty sure it could be much more than 2 minutes of effort. My understanding is that a significant part of the archives are still just paper documents that aren't cross-referenced, many of which have deteriorated quite a bit. I received an extract for a 1943 watch that incorrectly listed the date of manufacture as 1948. When I questioned Omega, they re-checked and confirmed the correct date. The error was attributed to misreading a hand-written "3" as an "8".
Fair play. I saw the same thing with the Longines registry records too
 
Posts
70
Likes
39
such a shame that they haven't (or won't?) re-launch the EoA. I remember a mention that they would re-launch at some point, but I guess this isn't going to happen. I have a few military watches which would benefit from the extract. Sad!
 
Posts
213
Likes
106
such a shame that they haven't (or won't?) re-launch the EoA. I remember a mention that they would re-launch at some point, but I guess this isn't going to happen. I have a few military watches which would benefit from the extract. Sad!
Same. It’s a really nice thing to have and makes you feel somehow connected to the watches history. When they literally have all the records sitting there, it’s a big shame they can’t just find a better way to run the service and make it work. It clearly matters to their customers
 
Posts
158
Likes
128
maybe my memory is foggy, but if you send your vintage to be serviced at omega dont they then offer an EOA service at same time?
 
Posts
13,626
Likes
18,979
maybe my memory is foggy, but if you send your vintage to be serviced at omega dont they then offer an EOA service at same time?
That used to be true, but isn’t anymore.
When they literally have all the records sitting there, it’s a big shame they can’t just find a better way to run the service and make it work.
Unfortunately, when money and greed get in the way there really is no way to “make it work”.
gatorcpa