Opinions on this 167.005

I've been waiting for a good 167.005 to come up and finally saw this one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255882639543

There's rotor rub, so the movement could use a service. But otherwise I think this one checks a lot of the right boxes (has a 551 in the 20M range, dial/lugs in good shape, no luminous, etc.).

Before I start opening up the checkbook I wanted to run it by you all. Is there something here that would be cause for concern? Thanks in advance!

Here are the pictures:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I think it looks fine- an honest watch that hasn’t been gussied up. The dial does have some light spotting but as long as you noticed it and it’s within your patina threshold- go forth.
This seller has had a nice haul this week. I was watching some rarities they sold off over the last few days and they have brought top dollar. Looks like someone dumped off a really nice collection to a gold a jewelry/pawn broker. Always hate when I see collections like this just dumped off- means the owner probably died and his family just wanted the cash.

Looks nice. Especially as it has onyx rather than painted indices and a bracelet as well.

Isn't the rotor and rear case indicative of needing a service? maybe it's been done, or you intend too anyway Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.31.37 am.png Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.31.25 am.png /shrug

Isn't the rotor and rear case indicative of needing a service? maybe it's been done, or you intend too anyway Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.31.37 am.png Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.31.25 am.png /shrug
He mentioned that in his initial observation. People look at rotor rub like piston wear on a car…oh my god!!! Rotor rub- run away fast it’s a ticking time bomb!

But it’s really not a big deal and just means that it needs a new rotor bearing, or did need one at one time- a standard service issues. The marks on the rotor and case are unsightly but how often are we opening the back to stare at the movement.

Looks good … worth seeing where the price goes! Correct crown, hands match the indices and look in decent condition, nice medallion, as mentioned great to get the bracelet, case looks unpolished to me, obviously dings and signs of wear - but if you’re planning to wear it *shrugs*

He mentioned that in his initial observation. People look at rotor rub like piston wear on a car…oh my god!!! Rotor rub- run away fast it’s a ticking time bomb!

But it’s really not a big deal and just means that it needs a new rotor bearing, or did need one at one time- a standard service issues. The marks on the rotor and case are unsightly but how often are we opening the back to stare at the movement.
Isn't that essentially what I said, it needs a service or it's had one?

I think it looks fine- an honest watch that hasn’t been gussied up. The dial does have some light spotting but as long as you noticed it and it’s within your patina threshold- go forth.
This seller has had a nice haul this week. I was watching some rarities they sold off over the last few days and they have brought top dollar. Looks like someone dumped off a really nice collection to a gold a jewelry/pawn broker. Always hate when I see collections like this just dumped off- means the owner probably died and his family just wanted the cash.

Agreed on the condition of the watch and the situation with the seller. It is a good reminder to cultivate an interest in watches with someone you can pass them on to, and to plan your estate. Mostly just pocket watches left, but I don't really collect those. What does have my interest is the irradiated dime:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255879490460?hash=item3b939b2b9c:g:wLQAAOSwOCFjmP3W
upload_2022-12-17_15-19-20.png

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I agree with comments above about the nice dial.

As for the lugs, the pictures are too overexposed (deliberately?) so you can’t really tell how sharp they still are. Well, I can’t.

But what would put me off is what the seller describes as some scratches on the side of the case (picture 6). They look more like cracks to me. If they’re really scratches, they run deep.

It was probably after the US discontinued silver coinage in 1966 (not 1964, but all silver coins made in 1965 and 1966 were dated 1964).

This is the big factoid for the year I needed! I collected US coins when I was a kid, particularly the silver ones as they still came up commonly in pocket change. I remember ‘64 being the cut-off for silver but didn’t know they still minted silver in ‘65-66 with the same dies.

You just solved a mystery I had wondered about as a kid!

But what would put me off is what the seller describes as some scratches on the side of the case (picture 6). They look more like cracks to me. If they’re really scratches, they run deep.

Probably deep scratches caused by someone who tried to open the back cover with a screwdriver.

It needs (present tense) a service. If it had been serviced already, you wouldn't see the darker debris on the rotor, just the bare brass once the plating had worn through...

Thanks all for the feedback. I ended up winning this auction, so I'll need to find someone to service this thing soon. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'm in California (Bay Area). 😀

Thanks all for the feedback. I ended up winning this auction, so I'll need to find someone to service this thing soon. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'm in California (Bay Area). 😀

Congrats, the price really wasn’t too bad, especially including the ~200$-BoR. My gut says this will look very nice once it’s been cleaned, plexi polished, serviced etc.