Forums Latest Members

Opinions on exchanging an Omega Cal 266 watch I bought

1. Senneville Sep 28, 2017

Hello again!

I wanted to thank everyone again for their help in providing advice (and information) on the (redialed) Omega Cal 266 watch I purchased last week. Here is the discussion (and pictures) of the watch that I purchased last week (but returned today for a credit at the store): https://omegaforums.net/threads/question-regarding-omega-cal-266-watch-i-purchased.64123/

As I mentioned, last week I purchased an Omega Cal 266 watch (#15129479) for ~1000$ US. However, the dial was repainted/redialed, and quite a few members on this forum suggested I exchange the watch since the store owner is completely open to that. This is my preference since I’d like to have an ‘as original’ as possible watch (i.e. not redialed). Some members suggested I keep the watch, but my feeling is that since I have the option (thankfully) of exchanging the watch, I’d like to explore this.

The store owner has four vintage watches that he says are completely original (i.e. not redialed) as far as he knows. He mentioned they might have had a bit of work on them but he said the dials are original and not touched. The watches are an Omega Automatic Seamaster, a Zenith Automatic, a Zenith with no markings, and one Longines Automatic. For the first two, I would need to pay an additional 100$ (which I don’t mind) on top of the ~1000$ credit I have at the store (for returning my previous watch). Here are some pictures of the watches:

Omega and Zenith ii.jpg

Zenith and Longines ii.jpg

I would be very grateful for any opinions on which watch you would recommend as the best watch to trade mine in for? Is it even worth trading my watch in (i.e. are any of the above four watches any 'better' than the Omega cal 266 I had)?

My preference is the Omega Seamaster and the Zenith Automatic. Do you see any indications that either has been ‘redialed’ in any way? I apologize that the pictures are not ideal (my iphone died on me so the store owner took the pictures) but based on them do you see anything ‘amiss’?

I noticed that the ‘Automatic’ under the Zenith is not in cursive, but in almost all pictures I have seen online of a Zenith the ‘Automatic’ is in cursive. However, both these watches do seem to have a ‘patina’ (i.e. they look aged).

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated! On another note, I will make my next Omega purchase (soon) on this site given that it seems like a far better place to purchase a Vintage Omega watch (than in a store for example).

Thank you again in advance for any help. It is very much appreciated!

2. No Mercy Sep 28, 2017

IMO, only the Seamaster is with original dial. All other 3 are with refinished dials.

mikechi22 likes this.
  3. Damo Sep 28, 2017

Not the best photos either...

4. Senneville Sep 28, 2017

NoMercy: Than you! That is very helpful. I'm curious to know how you can tell that the Zenith Automatic has a refinished dial? Is it because the "Automatic" is not in cursive? If the Seamaster is the only one that does not have a refinished dial, then I will likely go for that one (it's around 1100$ US).

5. No Mercy Sep 28, 2017

My English is not too good, so:

1. Zenith automatic: Untitled.jpg

2. Zenith hand-winding: Color & condition of dial make me feel. And the over-polished case.

3. Holy-grail Longines conquestion: Longines should buy this watch to show in their museum: the prototype which-is-never-made.

6. Senneville Sep 28, 2017

Thank you! If I understand correctly, you don't think the Omega Seamaster dial was refinished in any way?

7. No Mercy Sep 28, 2017

I dont see any problem with it, except the price ^_^

8. Senneville Sep 28, 2017

I agree! Out of curiosity, what do you think it's worth? Half that amount (i.e. 500$)? At this point, I don't mind since at least it's not refinished/redialed from what we can tell.

9. BenBagbag Sep 28, 2017

Ya $350-$500 is a safe bet depending on condition.

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 28, 2017

We appreciate your cordial manner and gentlemanly ways!

Well, you pose a tough question with one low-resolution shot to go by for each watch, so let's do a little sleuthing.
    Does the dealer offer these as being serviced with any guarantee or warranty?
    Any chance of more/better res. photos?

You like the Omega and I'm a fanboy, so let's start there.
    As far as I can tell, the dial looks good, clear coathanger "S", SWISS MADE located properly, markers spaced well, right logo and font.
    Wish I could make out the hands better but well could be ok.
    Do you remember if the back is plain or had a medallion?
    Do you remember if the crown had a logo on it?

If an inspection shows it to be all-original, in good condition, serviced and maybe with a warranty, it should be worth a bit more.

Is it worth $1100?, hard question to answer with the circumstances but most likely not close.
    Is it worth $100 more than the other watch? If it all checks out I'd say definitely yes!

Worst case, you end up with an $1100 credit.

mikechi22 likes this.
  11. Senneville Sep 28, 2017

Thank you for the above information and opinions! As always, it's very informative and helpful.

UncleBuck - Thank you for your detailed information. To respond to your questions:

Does the dealer offer these as being serviced with any guarantee or warranty? Yes. He said the watches have been serviced and he gives a one year guarantee/warranty. He is very nice; he said it was not a problem at all to exchange the watch for another vintage watch (or a new watch in the store such as Omega, Longines, Zenith, Tissot, etc.).
    Any chance of more/better res. photos? I wish I could get better photos but I live quite far from the store (about one hour) - so I will unlikely be able to get better photos soon.
    Do you remember if the back is plain or had a medallion? It has the Omega medallion. I do remember seeing this.
    Do you remember if the crown had a logo on it? I can't remember but I vaguely recall that it did.

I think that given the above points, I will likely take the Omega Seamaster. The only other watch that I liked was the Zenith Automatic but I believe it was redialed/refurbished (e.g., the Automatic is not in cursive). Any thoughts on the Zenith? From what everyone says, the Omega Seamaster seems to be the watch that is most likely the least redialed/refinished so I will likely take the Omega.

Thanks again!

mikechi22 likes this.
  12. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 28, 2017

Zenith is definitely redialed. Script should look like the one in Mercy's photo.

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 29, 2017

Medallion back with coathanger "S" narrows this down to 1958-1961ish, I feel a great period for Omega!

When you pick it up, if he would pop off the caseback for you, try for a shot of the inside of the caseback and the movement and we can pinpoint everything.

Welcome to the world of vintage watch collecting and wear it in good health!

Just don't get it wet.

mikechi22, Woodward and Damo like this.
  14. Woodward Sep 29, 2017

I think the Seamaster looks like a ref. 14704. This reference was equipped with the cal. 591 (automatic without date).
    I own one of these, from 1960. The dials are slightly different, but there were variants. Compare the hands and the shape of the case:

IMG_9286_resized.jpg

Best regards

mikechi22 likes this.
  15. DON Sep 29, 2017

I'm going to give you some advice. Take it any way you like.

Keep what you have. Unless the dial is poorly refinished. It doesn't affect the value as someone mentioned last time you posted. You paid the Noob Tax by over paying for the watch.

Don't compound this by paying the stupid tax of an addition $100 to this seller for another watch that's double of the actual selling price.

The Zenith you can find them on Ebay for $250 - $500 and Probably the same for the Longines.

The Omega around the higher end of those prices.

People seem to cringe at the thought of a redial, but don't seem to when it comes to a car restoration. Whats the difference?

It's not a rare watch and even rare one's sometimes need to be redone

Don't worry about it and don't compound one error with another. Don't buy or exchange anymore watches with this seller

Hang around here and learn and ask before you buy anything new.

DON

quito likes this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 29, 2017

???

I feel you moved from overpaying 4x for an artificial watch to overpaying 2x for an honest watch (hopefully!).
    Some men are also ok with cosmetic boobs to correct perceived deficiencies, others aren't. Who is right and who is wrong?

A valid point of view that has been discussed intensively and sometimes heatedly here!

A comment that I agree with completely.

Go with your heart, brother! It's your $ and your wrist.

17. mikechi22 Sep 29, 2017

Hey there! I think your instinct of swapping for the Seamaster is a good one. The extra $100...well, maybe you can negotiate a new strap or the correct crown if it needs one. The key comment for me above was a 4x overpay or a 2x. Given that it's serviced and under a warranty, you're just paying a dealer price, not 2x the dealer price. Those watches on eBay for $500 - always have to consider they're going to need service and probably parts so the cost starts creeping up to what you're paying. And if you like it and you're going to wear it, you're ok!

UncleBuck likes this.
  18. Senneville Sep 29, 2017

Hello and thank you as always for your comments! I agree with UncleBuck and mikechi22: I prefer overpaying 2x for a 'good/real' watch (hopefully it is)) rather than 4x for an artificial watch (even if this costs an extra 100$).

I exchanged the watch today. I have a bit more information on the watch (Omega Automatic Seamaster): Case #1470415C and serial number 17422643 and cal. 591. It was completely serviced and has a one year warranty. I was able to get one photo of the inside (although I just realized I forgot to take a photo of the inside of the caseback). The crown has a small Omega logo on it (I can't seem to get a clear picture of it). Here are some photos (of the back, the inside, and one of the hands (they are both the same style)):

Back.jpg Inside picture 1.jpg Hands.jpg

I look forward to any thoughts you may have on whether the watch seems to have been 'altered' in any way.

Thanks!

joek, GuiltyBoomerang and mikechi22 like this.
  19. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 29, 2017

The watch looks ok in terms of originality. Price-wise I think you could have gotten a better deal for the money, but if you are happy with the watch then that's what counts. :)

I would look at the Private Sales section of the forum next time - there have been some pretty nice starter Omegas within the last month.

UncleBuck likes this.
  20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 29, 2017

You have heard from one of the best and one of the most knowledgable!

We know that you may have overpaid......One of my favorite collector sayings is " I didn't overpay, I just bought too soon"!

mikechi22 likes this.