Forums Latest Members
  1. Senneville Sep 25, 2017

Hello,

I am new to this forum (which I find very useful and interesting). I have wanted to purchase an older Omega watch for quite some time but I have unfortunately not really had the time to do so. However, last week I finally purchased an Omega Cal 266 watch (#15129479) from a relatively well known watch and jewelry store in Montreal, Canada. The store sells new watches (including Omegas), but the owner had 6 vintage Omegas (one of which I purchased).

The seller mentioned everything was original on this particular Omega watch except for the dial (from what I understand it was cleaned/fixed/repainted or something along those lines). I paid 1150$ Canadian plus tax (total 1260$ Canadian or ~ 1020$ US), and I have attached several pictures below. I like the watch, but having now gone through some of the discussions in this forum (unfortunately after I purchased the watch and not before), I realize that I likely made a mistake in purchasing this watch (given that the dial has been altered/repainted). This is of course my fault since I was told that the dial had been cleaned or repainted.

In any event, I would be very grateful if anyone might be willing to provide more information on the following:

1) Is the dial a good representation of what the 'real' dial should look like for this particular Omega? Has the dial simply been cleaned and 'repainted' (while keeping everything else the same on the dial)? Having searched the internet for a few days, I am unable to find a similar dial. For example, I have not seen any vintage Omegas with a 'gold dot' where the "9am" and "3pm" should be. Is this particular repainting/redialing not an accurate reproduction of what the original dial most likely looked like (assuming one can determine this)?

2) Because the dial has been altered, is the watch worth keeping? Also, was the price (1020$ USD) about what it should have been? I cannot get a refund, but I can exchange it (although the other 5 vintage Omegas have also all been altered/redialed). Unfortunately, I don't think I have many options at this point other than keeping it (given that he only has 5 other similarly 'altered' watches).

I apologize for the lengthy email and I thank everyone in advance for any help/guidance you can provide!

Close up angled i.JPG Close up angled ii.JPG Close up back.JPG Close up front.JPG Front 1.JPG Front 2.JPG Front 3.JPG

2. micampe Sep 25, 2017

As far as redial go it’s not bad. The logo and text are a more recent style than it would have had originally but you liked it so I say just enjoy it and don’t bother with the details that collectors obsess about.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. TexOmega Sep 25, 2017

Seems a mighty steep price to pay, but value is in the eye of the buyer.

The rule of thumb is..... with a bad repaint, such as this, value plummets to collectors, and this is a collectors forum.

Show us your options. Maybe we can help you.

4. Senneville Sep 25, 2017

Thank you both! I unfortunately don't think I have too many options at this point. The store does not accept returns (only exchanges). They sell new watches (Omega, UBoat, Tissot, etc.), and only have a few vintage watches (5 Omegas if I remember correctly). Of these 5 watches, the owner did say that one had only original parts (it was an Omega Seamaster) - but this particular watch looked very clean and new for a watch from the 1950/60s. So perhaps all the parts were 'original' but the dial was painted? I unfortunately don't have a picture of it. It was 1250 Canadian plus tax (so 100$ more than what I paid for mine). I think the only two options I have are to: 1) Just keep the watch I bought or 2) Exchange it for the 'original' Seamaster (and pay an additional 100$). But I'm not really sure if that Seamaster has also not been redialed/painted. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thank you again for any advice!

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 25, 2017

Hi Senneville and welcome!
    Unfortunately, you have been charged what we call the "NOOB" tax, a tax on many that buy first and ask second.

While your watch is quite attractive, the heavily polished case (rounded edges) and the redial (modern font and notice how the minute markers aren't centered on the daggers) render this watch a daily wearer only and not a collectible.

I think Tex is hoping one of the others may be a better value as this is worth much less than you paid.

Again, welcome!, and cheer up for at least you have a nice daily wearer.
    For some the noob tax is much higher.

Any way to get us some pictures of the "original"?

noelekal and Davidt like this.
  6. Senneville Sep 25, 2017

Thanks for the additional input! I can try and go to the store this week and take a picture of the 'original' Seamaster (assuming the store allows this). From what I recall, this particular watch looked very 'new' (despite being vintage) so I think it might also have been repainted. Perhaps there is also the option of exchanging the watch for a brand new watch at the store (although I am not sure if this is allowed). It's unfortunate that I did not read more about vintage Omega watches before purchasing one.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 25, 2017

Hey, one of life's lessons. At least no one's dead and no one's pregnant!

8. TexOmega Sep 25, 2017

You should see the first 3-4 I bought, noob tax walks confidently, slaps your face and poof disappears.

Only revenge is knowledge or DEEP POCKETS.

9. West Slope Sep 25, 2017

I would try to exchange it for a new watch (or apply the credit towards one) and be thankful that is an option (if they allow that).

BenBagbag and IDXM like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 25, 2017

As said above, wear it and enjoy it. Life lesson that only cost a weeks wage ::psy::
    ( I've had some that have cost a years wages )

UncleBuck likes this.
  11. onthedial Sep 25, 2017

@Senneville
    The vintage watch market is fraught with danger, so one really has to know what to look for when determining authenticity. Even on a the low end purchase, it's discouraging to feel that the wrong decision was made. The "positive" in your case is that there can be something learned. Anyway, getting back to your predicament, I'm wondering if the shop would offer you a credit. That way you wouldn't have to settle on a purchase immediately and risk going home with a watch you didn't feel passionately about. With more time on your hands you may decide to purchase a brand new timepiece (instead of a vintage model) or perhaps the shop will acquire some additional vintage pieces that will be more to your liking and better preserved (and better value).

IDXM likes this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 25, 2017

As already noted, as far as the dial is concerned, we've seen much worse.

Actually looks like the case might be a ref 2990, which isn't a bad thing.

Wear and enjoy.

drose224, Woodward, Bumper and 2 others like this.
  13. Senneville Sep 25, 2017

Thank you everyone for your replies! This has been very helpful. Based on what I have heard from everyone, I think I have three options now:

1) Just keep the watch and use it as a daily watch.

2) Exchange the watch for a 'better' redialed watch at the store (although I don't think I will be able to tell what is 'better' or worse). There is apparently one Seamaster for 100$ more that is completely original (although I'm not sure what that means since it looks new even though it's from the 1960s). I will see if I am allowed to take some pictures of the other watches so that I can post them to see what others think (in terms of selecting an alternative watch).

3) Put the money toward a new watch at the store, or ask if I can simply return the watch (and keep a credit at the store) and wait until they perhaps obtain a 'non-redialed' Omega vintage watch. I'm not sure if they receive many vintage watches, so I might have to wait quite a long time. But if I wait 6-12 months perhaps they might come across something interesting.

I am leaning toward 2 or 3 (wait for a non redialed watch) since I prefer getting something I like that is not redialed.

Thank you again for all of your help - it's very much appreciated!

14. BenBagbag Sep 25, 2017

I would go with option 3 if they allow and if their prices are reasonable. I know you may like vintage watches but you can buy a good example elsewhere for less than $500. That said, if they have reasonable prices on modern watches that is where I would take my money instead. They aren't likely to get a better vintage example and just sitting and waiting for one isn't a great idea IMO.

15. micampe Sep 25, 2017

I stand by my first assessment. You don’t sound like a collector, and you liked the watch. Ignore details a bunch of weirdos on the Internet obsess about and enjoy it!

ConElPueblo, ChrisN and STANDY like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 25, 2017

Same as @micampe wear it as a badge of newbie honour whilst you spend 12 months learning the vintage pitfalls. It's a nice looking watch even though its redialed. Better to get the money you put into it buy wearing it

I for one wouldn't be buying anything from said store again ;)

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 25, 2017

As far as redials go it's not perfect, but it's not a pig with lipstick either and only pedantic OCD perfectionist pecksniffs would bother to waste time examining every detail.

You bought it knowing it had been "altered" from original so I would just wear it and enjoy it, I would not trade or wait.

Can you get a shot of the movement and the inside of the caseback?

And of course you could also add some sauce to the recipe ;).

. Ranchero.jpg

konung39 and BenBagbag like this.
  18. mikechi22 Sep 26, 2017

Really? A year’s wages? You are a real, real fan if you’re making that kind of commitment! Or do you mean some other poor SOB’s annual salary...that would be mean!

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 26, 2017

@mikechi22
    Life lesson that cost a lot of money :whistling: - not a watch purchase ::facepalm2::

Edited Sep 26, 2017
  20. mikechi22 Sep 26, 2017

That makes me feel better for you. And you’ve kept the faith! Good for you and your perseverance!