Forums Latest Members
  1. JasonF Jul 27, 2022

Hello all,

I’m looking for opinions - how much value do you PERSONALLY place on box/papers for a vintage watch? What is the premium? I have a 1961 constellation full set and as I’m considering a modern Omega or Tudor diver in the future I’d likely let it go but as most comparable ads do not come with box/papers/high precision cert, I’m having trouble ascertaining value. Obviously pricing varies by model but I’m looking for general thoughts. I’ve seen a few with astronomical asking prices but that is a game I don’t want to play. What are your thoughts? Your input is much appreciated. Thanks all!
    CF0D1B7D-A6A5-4129-A2AF-E2DB4717D336.jpeg

2. DON Jul 27, 2022

Maybe 1/4 the value of the watch?

Some people care. Some don't as you can't wear box or papers, so some aren't interested in paying the added cost

Figure out what you want for the watch and add 1/4 of that value and see if someone buys

DON

3. Dan S Jul 27, 2022

It's also going to depend a lot on the condition of the watch itself. The only people who are willing to pay a lot for accessories are serious collectors, and most serious collectors will only be interested if the condition of the watch is really strong. So a mediocre watch with box and papers still won't bring a lot IMO.

fizz, Mark020, JasonF and 11 others like this.
  4. JasonF Jul 27, 2022

Thanks for your thoughts!

5. JasonF Jul 27, 2022

Yes, I agree. If a watch isn’t unique or special to begin with it won’t be with box and papers

6. omegawatchlover Jul 27, 2022

Most vintage omegas come watch only. To find one with papers is rather special. I believe it adds <$500 considering most excluding speedmasters are sub $1k to $2k. I agree with the comment above that it adds 25%.
    It really depends on the model too and its size. Also… you wear the watch, you don’t wear the box and papers lol. To me, it matters for a modern watch not so much vintage. It’s always a plus in the end of course.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2022

Couldn't really care less, and i'm so disorganised that I've actually lost boxes and papers for vintage watches from 60 years ago that stayed together until they ended up with me. I'm that guy.

smitty190373 and MtV like this.
  8. pdxleaf ... Jul 27, 2022

A wise friend advised me, "condition over paper." I was trying to decide between a vintage watch with full papers including sales receipt vs a watch in nicer condition. Always choose the nicer condition, which is what I did.

As Dan S said above, a great condition watch that you would buy based on its condition alone is enhanced by paperwork. But it's often at considerable cost. The paperwork will just be tucked away and you will need to inform your family that in the event of your death, this watch is worth more with the paper and box. ( they won't remember or care.)

I am anal enough to like papers and originality but only if it isn't a lot extra.

So, to try to answer your question, additional papers often add an excessive amount to a watch. If the condition is excellent and it is hard to find, you might find a willing buyer. Otherwise, you will have to sell it for close to the price without papers if you want to actually find someone willing to buy it.

Other big collectors look for original owners above all. Papers are a bonus but not as much as provenance (of course, which is often proved by paperwork. ) but if you are getting for yourself then it's enough to know the story without needing to prove it.

You have a great watch. Based on the one picture, the speckling on the dial is not something that appeals to me so the additional papers wouldn't matter.

GLWTS

Cheers.

Dan S likes this.
  9. nicks Jul 27, 2022

I like to have vintage box and papers, but they won’t make or break my buying decisions.

If they are available and in good condition, I’ll add a reasonable amount to an offer. “Reasonable” to me is $100 to $150, depending on the condition of the box/papers. So, not much.

Peemacgee likes this.
  10. Davidt Jul 28, 2022

I think around 15% for less desirable pieces in poor condition, then towards 25 or 30% in exceptional cases for highly sought after watches in good condition.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 28, 2022

This.

Speaking as someone who very much likes to have box and papers, I don't think they add a great deal of monetary value to watches like Constellations.

A correct box, complete ( with inner tray) in good condition might fetch £100-£150.
    Earlier boxes tend to be more valuable due to greater rarity.
    (You see some silly asking prices for all boxes but I don’t know who pays that much)

Papers don’t actually have any monetary value but are a really nice to have item.

As others have said, the condition of the watch is the most important thing to set the value of your package and the box and papers will add a small premium.

12. the_drunk_dial Jul 28, 2022

Many people misinterpret ‘papers.’ Some people believe that papers are any documentation that comes with the watch. A dealer defines papers as the original warranty card to show the watch was purchased from an AD.

You can have the watch appraised with and without box/papers to get a better idea of their value.

13. JasonF Jul 28, 2022

Thank you for all your thoughts and opinions. End of the day, it will come down to personal preference but this has helped give me an idea of the premium that box and papers might bring. Thank you all.

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 29, 2022

It’s a slightly different deal with vintage constellations.

Full papers will include:
    Certificate of precision
    Printed general guarantee. (Ideally with the movt serial number printed on it)
    Handwritten guarantee. ( with reference, movt number, case type, seller info)

And if you’re really lucky:
    Hangtag with reference, serial, movt cal.
    Purchase receipt.
    A little red plastic wallet for the paperwork.
    A little cellophane sleeve for the printed guarantee and certificate.

Sometimes there are also instructions for setting the date.

JasonF and Dan S like this.
  15. Bourne1984 Jul 29, 2022

With the exception of a Heuer Carrera CS3110 96 re addition I have never bought a vintage watch with either. I personally wouldn’t put much thought into B&Ps except for modern expensive watches, and even then for the right price would consider and have done in the past purchasing without.

16. Unfamiliar_Moon Jul 29, 2022

This has been discussed extensively. 10-20% for normal, newer watches. For LE 30% or more.

For older watches it doesn’t hurt for it to be missing, more common, but it can add an extremely variable amount.

JasonF likes this.