Opinion on Speedmaster Mark II 145.014

Hi all, I just wanted to get an opinion on a Speedmaster Mark II Racing Dial that is being offered to me. It comes with box and original warranty papers too. It is being offered to me at $3100usd which seems a little steep to me, but box and warranty papers are not something that I’ve seen a lot recently. Bracelet is correct, but not original to the watch. Thanks.

Looks honest enough but the box and papers don't add much in my opinion. Overpriced at $3,100, especially since you don't know when it was last overhauled, could be two years ago, maybe 20 years ago.

Like 2
About $1000 too high for me considering the condition. I found mine on eBay for $2000 and the lines were better.

As purchased.

s-l1600.jpg

After service

33.jpg

Like 6
Did she have a little work done or were the pictures really that shitty?

I see you had it serviced but looks like new crystal, new bracelet and possible some case work- and hands relumed?

Hi all, I just wanted to get an opinion on a Speedmaster Mark II Racing Dial that is being offered to me. It comes with box and original warranty papers too. It is being offered to me at $3100usd which seems a little steep to me, but box and warranty papers are not something that I’ve seen a lot recently. Bracelet is correct, but not original to the watch. Thanks.
The watch looks OK but I agree with others that it is a little overpriced.

A mark ii racing sold on OF recently and in arguably similar condition for around $2500.

See sales link below

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-145-014-markii-racing-2300€-obo-shipped.162632/

Like 1
Did she have a little work done or were the pictures really that shitty?

I see you had it serviced but looks like new crystal, new bracelet and possible some case work- and hands relumed?

New bracelet because Nesbit's threw away the original by mistake, new crystal, hands, case refinished (brushed and polished.)

New bracelet because Nesbit's threw away the original by mistake, new crystal, hands, case refinished (brushed and polished.)
They did a nice job on the case work- as they are known to do. I would have been apoplectic about them “throwing away” bracelet (not sure how that happens other than gross negligence by someone at their shop)- then asked for them to track another of that same model down. The modern replacement is a replacement but the original was a far nicer bracelet imo.

Like 2
They did a nice job on the case work- as they are known to do. I would have been apoplectic about them “throwing away” bracelet (not sure how that happens other than gross negligence by someone at their shop)- then asked for them to track another of that same model down. The modern replacement is a replacement but the original was a far nicer bracelet imo.

I agree about the bracelet. I won't be going back to Nesbit's again. Nice people but I really wanted the original bracelet. They also didn't refinish the caseback of my Speedmaster Automatic "Mark 4.5" because they said they didn't have the right equipment to do it but still charged me full price for service (over $1200.) When it came time to service my flightmaster I sent it to Bienne even though I knew the wait was going to be a lot longer than having it serviced in the US.

I agree about the bracelet. I won't be going back to Nesbit's again. Nice people but I really wanted the original bracelet. They also didn't refinish the caseback of my Speedmaster Automatic "Mark 4.5" because they said they didn't have the right equipment to do it but still charged me full price for service (over $1200.) When it came time to service my flightmaster I sent it to Bienne even though I knew the wait was going to be a lot longer than having it serviced in the US.
How long ago was this done? If still within a few months I would go back and tell them that the replacement bracelet is not the original and that you want them to replace “in-kind”. If there are any on eBay (full length and in reasonable shape) or in possession of a collector here, I would send them the link and ask to be made whole again.
Sure, you could probably find one yourself and buy it for a couple hundred bucks, but that’s not the point. They made a mistake with a customer’s watch- they bought a modern replacement from the factory (I hope they didn’t charge you for it and if they did- get fucked), and expected you to be fine with it.

I am angry for you!

Like 1
How long ago was this done? If still within a few months I would go back and tell them that the replacement bracelet is not the original and that you want them to replace “in-kind”. If there are any on eBay (full length and in reasonable shape) or in possession of a collector here, I would send them the link and ask to be made whole again.
Sure, you could probably find one yourself and buy it for a couple hundred bucks, but that’s not the point. They made a mistake with a customer’s watch- they bought a modern replacement from the factory (I hope they didn’t charge you for it and if they did- get fucked), and expected you to be fine with it. I

I am angry for you!

It was over a year ago and I let it drop when they paid for the modern replacement. They've lost my future business (not just for the bracelet incident) and I think that is a reasonable response. I don't have the time or inclination to be more unreasonable than that. You also aren't going to find that bracelet in nice condition on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks.

Like 2
It was over a year ago and I let it drop when they paid for the modern replacement. They've lost my future business (not just for the bracelet incident) and I think that is a reasonable response. I don't have the time or inclination to be more unreasonable than that. You also aren't going to find that bracelet in nice condition on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks.
Totally understood. One of the most reputable rug cleaning companies in the area destroyed a 90 year old Kashan and when they brought it back (and I had already paid them) I was so disgusted I called them 15 minutes later (after my wife walked back upstairs almost in tears) and told them just to come back and take it away. I called the owner and expressed my outrage, he was indignant, instantly dug into their policies on liability (he clearly knew before they sent it back this was going to be an issue) and made no attempt at an apology.

I never followed up about trying to get a refund (the cost of cleaning was nothing against the loss of the value of the rug)- but they have lost my business and I will actively dissuade people from using them.

Like 1
Mistakes happen all the time in business, screwups happen. A company like Nesbit's isn't going to go out and search for a vintage bracelet and hope that the owner is ok with the condition of the replacement vs. what was originally on the watch. They have no expertise in that area. They will replace it with a modern equivalent, and although that won't satisfy the real collector it is the most expedient way to handle the issue. In my view they should have comped the new bracelet and the overhaul, charging the owner nothing for the messup. I just refuse to get wound up with messups like this anymore, as you get older you know when to fight and when to settle. This one is a settlin' event.

I had Nesbit's overhaul my MkII Racing which I've had since 1973 a couple of years ago, they did a fine job saving the crystal which was last replaced in 1980, and the original hands. Casework was really done professionally, very happy with that. Fortunately I didn't send them the original bracelet on the watch as it was really stretched out and I wasn't going to use it again. Had it on a leather strap for awhile but now switching to an Uncle Seiko, good quality at a good price.
Edited:

Like 3
Mistakes happen all the time in business, screwups happen. A company like Nesbit's isn't going to go out and search for a vintage bracelet and hope that the owner is ok with the condition of the replacement vs. what was originally on the watch. They have no expertise in that area. They will replace it with a modern equivalent, and although that won't satisfy the real collector it is the most expedient way to handle the issue. In my view they should have comped the new bracelet and the overhaul, charging the owner nothing for the messup. I just refuse to get wound up with messups like this anymore, as you get older you know when to fight and when to settle. This one is a settlin' event.

I had Nesbit's overhaul my MkII Racing which I've had since 1973 a couple of years ago, they did a fine job saving the crystal which was last replaced in 1980, and the original hands. Casework was really done professionally, very happy with that. Fortunately I didn't send them the original bracelet on the watch as it was really stretched out and I wasn't going to use it again. Had it on a leather strap for awhile but now switching to an Uncle Seiko, good quality at a good price.
Agree- screw up’s do happen, it’s how they are handled that matters. In this case as you said- they offered the modern replacement which is all that could be really expected. Their case work is nice and I have heard nothing but good things from members here who have used them.

In the case of my rug, the owner could have heard me vent and cry, then offer an apology, say shit happens sometimes and mine was the sometimes- and offer to knock something off the price for their mistake. I would have been fine and not thought much less of them- but he went the other way and dug in.

Like 2

They charged me around $1200 so no comp for me. The stem started coming out of my 176.0012 and the 6 o'clock subdial started resetting left of 12 o'clock about a week after their warranty expired. It's Omega factory services for me from now on.

They have no expertise in that area.

That's part of the problem...

Like 1
That's part of the problem...
When I had my ‘73 BMW 3.0cs, I would drive to the dealership to buy parts (this is back when Mobile Traditions was a thing for BMW and they kept deep stock of parts for their vintage cars- it was (note the emphasis on the past tense) a point of pride for them.
One day when I came out, several young mechanics were standing around my car. They asked me to pop the hood (the fact that it opened backwards was a marvel to them) and one pointed at the dual Weber carbs and said “what’s that?”.

Just because they are “authorized” to work on something doesn’t mean they know how to handle it. That said, my independent mechanic specializes in vintage BMW’s and he has a staff of 3-4 guys ranging in age from 30-50, all know how to tune carbs by ear, all know how to use feeler gauges, all know how to trouble shoot a vacuum leak without a computer and all of them know to keep parts removed from a car until the customer is shown the parts upon pickup and signs off.

Like 3
When I had my ‘73 BMW 3.0cs, I would drive to the dealership to buy parts (this is back when Mobile Traditions was a thing for BMW and they kept deep stock of parts for their vintage cars- it was (note the emphasis on the past tense) a point of pride for them.
One day when I came out, several young mechanics were standing around my car. They asked me to pop the hood (the fact that it opened backwards was a marvel to them) and one pointed at the dual Weber carbs and said “what’s that?”.

Just because they are “authorized” to work on something doesn’t mean they know how to handle it. That said, my independent mechanic specializes in vintage BMW’s and he has a staff of 3-4 guys ranging in age from 30-50, all know how to tune carbs by ear, all know how to use feeler gauges, all know how to trouble shoot a vacuum leak without a computer and all of them know to keep parts removed from a car until the customer is shown the parts upon pickup and signs off.

Nesbitt's generally does good work I believe, but my impression is that being a former Omega service center, it's taken them some time once they were no longer an official service center, to get out of "service center mode" when doing the work. I've had a number of people approach me with vintage watches, after not getting what they wanted when talking to Nesbitt's about doing a service. They still wanted to treat the watch as if it was a recent model, and replace all kinds of parts that the customer wanted to keep.

I think they are getting better in that regard over time, as they learn that vintage collectors don't want the same things that modern collectors want. But yes this instance was certainly not handled the way one would hope...

Like 1
Nesbitt's generally does good work I believe, but my impression is that being a former Omega service center, it's taken them some time once they were no longer an official service center, to get out of "service center mode" when doing the work. I've had a number of people approach me with vintage watches, after not getting what they wanted when talking to Nesbitt's about doing a service. They still wanted to treat the watch as if it was a recent model, and replace all kinds of parts that the customer wanted to keep.

I think they are getting better in that regard over time, as they learn that vintage collectors don't want the same things that modern collectors want. But yes this instance was certainly not handled the way one would hope...
My retired watchmaker did spec work for several jewelers in the area. He worked in volume and had a SOP based on what the jewelers expected (make it shiny- keep costs down so they could max their profits). When I started using him, there was a period of adjustment where I had to clarify exactly what I wanted done and what I didn’t- it just wasn’t the way he did things. But he was happy to accomodate once I made my expectations clear and he did excellent work. When he would run into an issue sourcing parts, I offered to hunt them down for him (the more time he spent scouring the web/ebay looking for obscure parts, the less time he was working on watches)- he was happy to vet parts listings I would email him and I would buy them, then bring them to him.

Over the years as more collectors started using him privately and he moved away from spec work- he became more accustomed to how “collectors” wanted things done rather than jewelers.

Like 1
Over the years as more collectors started using him privately and he moved away from spec work- he became more accustomed to how “collectors” wanted things done rather than jewelers.

When I first started out, a kind watchmaker was giving me some advice, and encouraged me to stay away from trade work (what it's called when you get business from stores as you describe). It was good advice and I'm glad I didn't go that route - it has many drawbacks, not least the fact that the store marks your price up by 100%, so you are only making a fraction of what you should be...

Like 2
When I first started out, a kind watchmaker was giving me some advice, and encouraged me to stay away from trade work (what it's called when you get business from stores as you describe). It was good advice and I'm glad I didn't go that route - it has many drawbacks, not least the fact that the store marks your price up by 100%, so you are only making a fraction of what you should be...
Wise advise. He got tired of the trade work after 40 years and is now semi-retired, servicing mostly private clients now I think.
The final straw was about 5 years ago- my mother brought my step-father’s 1969 18k UG mircrorotor dress watch to a large “upscale” jeweler. They sent it to “their” watchmaker (which happened to be my watchmaker) and 3 weeks later called to tell her it couldn’t be fixed and they were happy to offer her a new watch and give her scrap value for the UG towards the purchase.

She wasn’t buying it and got the watch back and gave it to me. I called my watchmaker and he said he had looked at the watch and wrote up an estimate for repair, just a CLA and a few parts- all of which he had on hand. But the jeweler said she had declined repair and asked for it back- she hadn’t.

He had heard similar stories from others who contacted him directly (all collectible watches) and was absolutely livid that they pulled that shit using him as part of the scheme. The assumption (unsubstantiated) is that they would get him to tell them what it would cost to fix it, they would lie to the (usually elderly) client and get it for a song (we will give you $100 credit towards a new watch), have him fix it and then either sell it out the back door or in their “estate” cases

He terminated his business with them after that.

Like 2