Forums Latest Members
  1. jwlaws2 Jun 25, 2020

Apologies if this has topic has been discussed previously. I am in the market for a new watch. It will be my first and only nice watch. I have visited multiple forums in an attempt to determine the watch to best suit my lifestyle. I am not interested in adding a second watch down the road, as I appreciate the convenience of being able to put the watch on and never really have the need to take it off. For this reason, I created this account to consult you, in your infinite knowledge and experience to guide me in the right direction. Also, for this reason, I will likely delete this account and not visit another watch related site anytime soon, so as not to be tempted by anything new and shiny. It should also be noted that I am looking to buy the watch new, and am not concerned about resale. It will be on my wrist for the next two to three decades until my boy has his first child. At that point, he'll get the watch and I will come to you all again for advice on a replacement.

With that being said, I have narrowed the search down to two (totally different) pieces. The Omega Speedmaster Professional. The Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm.

I am looking for a watch that has a story to tell. I enjoy the history both watches represent, as well as the somewhat utilitarian vibe that each gives off. I am not fancy, and would rarely use the watch for formal occasions. As a matter of fact, I have no doubt that either watch would suit me perfectly 95% of the time. But we live near the ocean. We spend a few weekends at the beach. I am not in the water constantly, but I do take a dip or two. Also, I fish. I spend a great deal of time in search of the perfect stream to find the perfect trout. I believe in buying quality gear and I believe in using it (often using it hard). I need a watch that can withstand such abuse.
    Now my thoughts on each.

Speedmaster:
    This has been the watch that I have wanted for forever. When the day came, it was going to be the one real watch that I would buy. I love the charm of the hesalite and manual wind function. I love that it would be something that would tie the watch to me when it comes time to give it to my boy. Aesthetically, it is at the top of the list for me. In my opinion there is not a better looking watch in existence.

Downsides- I am not that interested in space. I appreciate that aspect of the watch and it doesn't detract from it in any way, but it is just not really my thing. This is the big one: durability. I understand that the watch had to go through strenuous testing, and that it would likely be fine. However, for the reasons listed above, this is a minor concern I have for the Omega compared with ruggedness of the Rolex.

Oyster Perpetual:
    I connect more with its story. I am much more likely to attempt to scale a mountain than i ever will be to jump aboard a SpaceX ship and head into orbit. It is durable. It will last. It is also a bit boring, which, depending on the day can be a good thing or a bad thing - I can't seem to make up my mind. I generally, however, find myself appreciating the fact that is unassuming and is not likely to attract any looks.

Dowsides- It is a Rolex. Nothing in the world wrong with that, I just never thought of myself as someone who would wear a Rolex. Then there is the minor detail that it does not look as good (my opinion) as the Speedmaster on multiple straps.

This extremely long-winded preface leads me to the root of my conundrum, and to my question for you: Do I get the watch that I have wanted forever, and that would probably survive my lifestyle, or do I get the watch that, while a bit more dull, matches up with my ideals a bit better, and that I am more confident will withstand anything I throw at it?

Many thanks in advance,
    J

2. amfalconer Jun 25, 2020

It depends on what you need it for, both are great pieces.

I have a Speedmaster, purely because I wanted a chronograph and a Daytona was out of my reach, not that I'm complaining in the slightest, in my opinion, the Daytona only beats it in terms of resale value, movement and WR notwithstanding.

I considered an Air King at the same time, not quite an OP, but not terribly far removed. I always wanted a Rolex, but a subdued one, and I hope one will be in my future, but since going down into the luxury watch rabbit hole, I've found that there's a lot better options out there.

In the year and a bit I've had my Speedmaster, nobody has commented on it, it's definitely been noticed though. My brother was constantly being asked if his Rolex was a fake (it was, but still).

In polar opposite to you, I'm more likely to be land (or even space)- based than I am to be at the beach, or swimming in open water, so the lack of water resistance is not much of an issue with the speedy, and if I need to be in the water, then it can be left at home.

Otherwise, they're fairly rugged, sure the hesalite will mark, and the 316L steel is more likely to scratch than the 904L used in Rolex's offerings, but if you're using them hard, then they can be repaired easy enough.

Are you looking at buying new? I only ask as unless any used watch has been cared for and serviced regularly, then the stated water resistance is moot

EDIT, you are buying new.

jwlaws2 likes this.
  3. gostang9 Jun 25, 2020

Get the Speedmaster, as it's obviously the one you really want. It is rugged and durable, and very versatile to put on many different straps and bracelets.

Do make sure you plan to have it pressure tested once per year to confirm water resistance (simple, quick and cheap check at any good watchmaker).

Do plan to have it properly serviced on a regular basis (every 5 to 10 years minimum, based on your risk preference and willingness to pay more for longer term internal wear/damage).

Finally, enjoy your one watch!

jwlaws2 likes this.
  4. Badwolf Jun 25, 2020

The Speedmaster wasn't designed for space, it was chosen. Many people that own them have no interest in space. It's not a factor considered in the purchase.

Im biast, has to be a speedy

ChiefMark and OmeGez like this.
  5. gostang9 Jun 25, 2020

Oh, and before this thread takes an ugly turn into debate about water resistance...

Fact 1: a properly maintained Speedmaster is fine for going swimming. Only way to know it is "properly maintained" is a pressure test.

Fact 2: any watch not properly maintained cannot be trusted to go under water. Does not matter the WR rating marked on the dial, when seals go, it'll leak.

Bugbait, ChiefMark, lindo and 2 others like this.
  6. amfalconer Jun 25, 2020

I also couldn't give a toss about it being a NASA watch, aside the punishment it took.

7. JwRosenthal Jun 25, 2020

Welcome to the forum and sorry you won’t want to stick around- but understood that you want to be informed on your purchase and have it be a one and done. Realize though that you just walked into a crack den and have asked for a single puff and then you’re good.

As for the SMP vs the DJ, both very different watches for different lifestyles and from the sounds of your lifestyle- neither are the right fit IMO. I own a Speedy and wouldn’t go swimming with it (although many do) nor would I want to dump it in a bucket with a scrub brush to get sunblock and fish scales off of it (under the bezel- between the pushers- ick!).
    DJ’s make a statement- they are unmistakable to even the most unknowledgeable watch person. If you don’t want to be noticed- don’t get a Rolex.
    All that said- I wore both my Speedy and Rolex GMT I some of the harshest wilderness environments (deep back country work which included stream crossings (and falling into the drink), and mountain climbing- neither missed a beat- although the bezel and crystal on the Speedy took far more beating than the GMT did.
    The best advise it to walk into an AD and try both (many high end dealers sell both brands among many others). When you put them on your wrist- you will know which one.

NikolShep, nzshadow, lindo and 2 others like this.
  8. OmeGez Jun 25, 2020

Hands down the Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It’ll take the next 20/30 years of use in its stride. No bezel or pushers to worry about.

my preference would be the 116000 OP. Utterly fantastic watch.

The regular trips to the beach and sea is enough for me to choose the OP, also.

ChiefMark and blufinz52 like this.
  9. Dan S Jun 25, 2020

Strange that you have narrowed the choice down to such dramatically different watches. Ultimately, I think your own personal taste will have to decide, because they are so completely distinct. Personally I generally choose to wear my Speedmasters more than my 36mm DJs.

There is one pragmatic issue, however. While the Speedmaster is designed to be water resistant and it can handle gentle use in water, there's no question that the Oyster case will serve you better around water over the long haul. I wouldn't really want to use a chronograph in the surf or fishing, where pushers could be depressed, etc. In practice, I just think you're asking for trouble.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 25, 2020

It does sound to me like the speedster is the way to go. The OP is not the Explorer (if you're partially driven by the "climbing a mountain" aspect of it. It is a good watch and it is bespoken but reading your post it does seem like the Speed-master resonates more with you and then you're "thinking" yourself towards the Rolex.

You can always get a speed-maaster with quartz instead of hesalite if you want to add a little more durability. It is not a "beach" watch, but I did swim with my Speedmaster and never had an issue.

Since you are looking at the 36 mm OP I'd guess you favor smaller watch cases in which case you may also look for a FOIS speedmaster which are slightly smaller.

I would add, If instead of the OP you where looking into the date just then I'd probably go with the date just since I absolutely love that watch (I have the blue and the white editions) I have 2 OP, one the grape one and the other the Blue explorer (which my wife uses) both great, but not at the same level IMO

jwlaws2 likes this.
  11. OmeGez Jun 25, 2020

It’s all personal preference. Personally, I prefer the OP over the Date Just.

A date just to me, should be a fluted bezel and jubilee.. I can’t imagine that as a tough daily.

the OP is a rock with a sub movement - cannot go wrong.

jwlaws2 and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. Drb477 Jun 25, 2020

I don't think the durability of a speedmaster is a legitimate concern for your intended purpose. Get that, its what you want anyway.

jwlaws2 likes this.
  13. stevec14 Jun 25, 2020

The speedy is fine. For durability go for sapphire maybe but get bracelet and a few straps and NATO’s and you are done!

jwlaws2 likes this.
  14. chaw6125 Jun 25, 2020

I wouldn't swim with my speedy or take it to the beach, but it is a great every day watch. The OP is a bit boring and I don't know how easy they are to buy from a Rolex AD right now. My submariner gets the most use and can handle most things no problem. I would have a cheap G-Shock for beach days and fishing.

I would say though if you buy the speedy get it on the bracelet. It is cheaper to buy the leather strap and clasp separately than to buy the bracelet after the fact.

The fact the speedy has barely changed in 50 years says a lot about it's design.

Yours faithfully,

An unashamed Rolex fan.

jwlaws2, JwRosenthal and Nobel Prize like this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jun 25, 2020

I agree with Speedy and a beater- I know you only want one but it’s honesty the safest and easiest route. If you want a “nice” mechanical watch for your beater- pick up a used Hamilton Khaki field- they are indestructible and cheap... and smart looking to boot. Wear the speedy daily and the Hammy for fishing, light swimming, yard work, when you need a hammer....

ChiefMark, Dan S and MRC like this.
  16. WYO_Watch Jun 25, 2020

Obvious answer, but OP’s title says one watch ;)

I don’t know why I get such satisfaction reading through people’s quests for “the” watch. My opinion is that there isn’t such a thing... watches don’t/shouldn’t define people. You make the watch, the watch doesn’t make you.

The bad news is that no collection of watch nerds will be able to direct or guide you to find something that doesn’t exist. The good news is whatever you end up choosing will be the right choice because you made it.

But you should definitely buy a SM300 Trilogy ::bleh:: it’s a touch of both watches you described and never needs to be taken off.

01EF6601-FC94-4EAF-9A34-F380B3A8B33A.jpeg

Eve, Nobel Prize, JwRosenthal and 2 others like this.
  17. jwlaws2 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you for all the quick responses. I am looking for the watch that will withstand abuse, that is not to say that I mind if it gets scuffed up-- that is a given. Truth be told, I like the way they look when they have a little wear on them. And I am going to buy new as I want the watch to be purchased in the year that my son was born.

It seems the overall consensus is to go with the speedmaster, and i am pretty sure i am in agreement. I am fairly certain that I would not regret purchasing the omega... until something happened to it. But I suppose that is a risk that you take and deal with it when it does.

If I went Rolex, my preference would be the explorer. However, I would definitely want the 36mm version, and those are increasingly hard to find in new condition. Thus I am considering the OP.

To the person who described the OP as a "rock with a sub movement" -- that is exactly the thought nagging in the back of my mind and the reason that I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the speedmaster.

time flies likes this.
  18. jwlaws2 Jun 25, 2020

I have admired this many times. And I do believe it would check all the boxes. That being said, I believe that, in new condition, it is a bit more than I can justify paying at this point.

19. OmeGez Jun 25, 2020

@jwlaws2 that was me. I genuinely think the OP36 would suit your needs perfectly.

the black dial 116000 is, in my mind - the chance to buy a 36mm ‘Explorer’ brand new.

there was a thread on here where a member just added the Mercedes hour hand onto his OP36 with the ‘Explorer’ style dial, and it looks utterly stunning and the sweet spot of a 36mm.

that’s exactly where my money would be going.

jwlaws2 likes this.
  20. OmeGez Jun 25, 2020

I hope the owner doesn’t mind me re-sharing their pictures on here.

@jwlaws2

90F14162-E987-47BE-9307-FA7A62C19ED6.jpeg 8CF74A9C-289E-4C1C-B7C5-630B307CE3B7.jpeg

Eve, ChiefMark and JwRosenthal like this.