Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: The Jacques Mayol Seamaster 120M Plongeur de Luxe 396.0900

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2023

[​IMG]

The Seamaster 120M Plongeur de Luxe reference 396.0900 is a watch inextricably linked to the legendary free diver Jacques Mayol. Worn by the man in his prime in the early 1980's, including on his record breaking dives, it is a highly sought after and very valuable watch in the Omega collector world.

Unlike most popular vintage Omega's, this is a relatively small diameter sports watch, with an integrated bracelet, and a quartz movement that isn't exactly known for reliability. That isn't the typical formula for a collectable Omega at all, yet the charisma and importance of the watch combined with that of the man who wore it counts for a great deal.

Visit The Jacques Mayol Seamaster 120M Plongeur de Luxe 396.0900 to read the full article.

sheepdoll, ysl, BenzBhoy and 10 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 10, 2023

Another nice article.

I even read it although I hate integrated bracelets with a passion…
    (bought on by a Nixon dive watch in my teens :D)

3. cristos71 Jan 10, 2023

Nice article. I've almost bought one of these a couple of times, but each time been held back by something, I don't know what. I certainly regret slightly the one I didn't buy for about €700 at a watch fair 7 or 8 years ago that's for sure!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2023

I know how you feel, integrated bracelet watches are definitely not my cup of tea in general but I think these clearly ape the style of the Royal Oak so well that it rather makes sense. It makes me wonder too as Omega had Genta working for them on and off over that time period both before the Royal Oak on the C-Case Constellation, and definitely after the Royal Oak on the Seamaster Polaris which is an integrated design with some Nautilus influence.

There is no suggestion that he worked on the Plongeur de Luxe at all so presumably someone else at Omega borrowed his design during the time he wasn’t actively working for them. It is a remarkably attractive design at that though.

STANDY likes this.
  5. Shabbaz Jan 10, 2023

Funny. I had exactly the same.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2023

I came close a few times and had the ebay listing that went off on December 4th on my list and an alarm set but missed it due to a dead phone battery which annoyed the hell out of me as I fully expected it to be out of my price range at $1800+ given the condition and someone got it for $1080 WITH a full factory service and warranty…

That’s ALMOST a free watch when you consider how much that owner paid for servicing.

Shabbaz likes this.
  7. spacemission Jan 15, 2023

This is really a hidden treasure and not a casio rangeman. Thank you for the article :thumbsup:

8. Fallout Boy Jan 15, 2023

word! ;)

9. kfranzk Mar 28, 2024

Apropos Jaques Mayol:
    I would like to add, that Jaques did also wear Squale divers watches:
    "Jacques Mayol broke the world record for breath-hold deep diving on numerous occasions while wearing Squale watches"

1967-70.jpeg

And here is my modern Squale Sub39, I just came back from diving in Thailand with this watch:

Squale Hand 01.JPG

I would not dare to wear my vintage Seamaster 200 in salty water.

Omega Mini Ploprof.jpg

Sorry its only a side view, I dont want to capture this Omega thread.
    Konrad

10. Arra Apr 13, 2024

I have one but the seal has gone and to get fixed is a fortune. I’m looking for a donor