Omega Speedmaster X-33 (Gen. 1)

Hey folks,

I need some help/information please!

I've recently aquired a Speedy X-33 1 which had a "Service" (Module change) according to the seller.

So here's my problem:

The tone is pretty muted, when it actually should be 80dB loud!!

Any idea if this could be adjusted or what the issue is/could be??

Thanks in advance

I guess it could be many things but assuming the module is new/functioning well, perhaps it has something to do with case reassembly.

I have this model as well (love it by the way) and have read that if the resonance chamber and caseback are not seated correctly, then the alarm is not its usual 80dB.

Thx for your input. That's a good point.

I already opened it up and looked at it. I have no idea how to put it back together in a different way that I did, to make it work better. But I get your point....makes sense

I guess it could be many things but assuming the module is new/functioning well, perhaps it has something to do with case reassembly.

I have this model as well (love it by the way) and have read that if the resonance chamber and caseback are not seated correctly, then the alarm is not its usual 80dB.

Could it be the battery?

There is a Varta CR2320 in it, while Omega recommends a Renata CR2320.

The Renata has 15 mAh more than the Varta ‍♂️

I had a similar problem with a muted alarm sound after changing the battery on my own GEN I. If I’m remembering correctly, there is a small wire contact on the movement that contacts the interior cover when the movement cover and case back are installed.

When the watch back was securely screwed down the audible alarms would be muted but audible. When backing off on the tension of the 9 case-back screws, the alarm would sound loudly. To resolve this I loosened all the screws then gently snugged them all down. Once I did this it resolved the alarm problem.

I had a similar problem with a muted alarm sound after changing the battery on my own GEN I. If I’m remembering correctly, there is a small wire contact on the movement that contacts the interior cover when the movement cover and case back are installed.

When the watch back was securely screwed down the audible alarms would be muted but audible. When backing off on the tension of the 9 case-back screws, the alarm would sound loudly. To resolve this I loosened all the screws then gently snugged them all down. Once I did this it resolved the alarm problem.

Yes there is this small contact. I took the thing apart and put it back together a couple of times now and I personally see no other way. I also tried what you described already. So I really hope it will be a change with the other battery.

Yes there is this small contact. I took the thing apart and put it back together a couple of times now and I personally see no other way. I also tried what you described already. So I really hope it will be a change with the other battery.

Yes, possibly a battery issues too. I’ve read anything other than the recommended Renata battery can cause the movement to go wonky at times.

FYI guys

It wasn't the battery - wishful thinking. ;)

But I realized that the movement was wobbly and it always pressed against the back on one side, when I closed the watch.

So I tightened it, so that the caseback would lay flat on the case....closed everything gently (like suggested) aaaaaand......

NO CHANGE :(:(

Not even with the screws loosened a bit. :unsure:

So thanks for all your input/help!!! I really appreciate it!!!

However...I'm more clueless now than before::confused2::

If you are willing to pay, just have it serviced by Omega. That is what I did with my Gen 2, & everything works perfectly. It was worth the 2 months without my watch!

If you are willing to pay, just have it serviced by Omega. That is what I did with my Gen 2, & everything works perfectly. It was worth the 2 months without my watch!

According to the seller, it was recently serviced....with bill...not by Omega tho.

How much did you pay? If you don't mind me asking.

It ended up being about $400 total. They replaced everything & made it like new (which is what I wanted). :)

It ended up being about $400 total. They replaced everything & made it like new (which is what I wanted). :)

That's actually not too bad

If its only $400 then there's no chance its had the module changed as in the UK that's week over $1000.
I'd imagine it needs a full service as the Gen1 when serviced by Omega get the updated movement fitted anyhow as many issues with c.1666 1st edition.

If its a battery issue I'd imagine the background light would have issues as well,,, does this work brightly and as it should when activated?

If its only $400 then there's no chance its had the module changed as in the UK that's week over $1000.
I'd imagine it needs a full service as the Gen1 when serviced by Omega get the updated movement fitted anyhow as many issues with c.1666 1st edition.

If its a battery issue I'd imagine the background light would have issues as well,,, does this work brightly and as it should when activated?
You are right & I stand corrected.

My deposit was $340.50. Total service bill was $990.00. Pulled out my receipt to verify! They did perform a full service to include replacing the whole module.