Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 13, 2019

Regardless of nit-picking a few microns, they are both the identical (slim) profile for a 145.012 case, unlike the OP 145.012, which appears to be like modern cases... which is the whole point you are diverging from, and which I am trying to stick too :thumbsup:

i.e. not a few microns.

upload_2019-10-13_12-27-1.png

2. simonsays Oct 13, 2019

I think that picture adds further fuel to the theory that is is a refinish. The angle of the lug compared to the end links is very odd. If you shaved off this much metal at this angle it would account for the wide lug?

The side profile of your two watches at the lugs, look quite different in the context of the subject we are discussing, and as this thread has diverged to the nuances of different asymmetric cases, I think it is very pertinent.

3. simonsays Oct 13, 2019

Just to add a bit more information to this thread, it seems that wide case 145.012 Speedmasters are more common than suggested. This one also has the same style of case as the OP watch.

It does not have the same profile s the modern case, so I don't think it is a valid argument to suggest it is also a replacement.

P1030842.jpg P1030844.jpg P1030845.jpg
    P1030840.jpg

Walrus likes this.
  4. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 14, 2019

Recut cases are quite often being used as examples of how a nice case should look like...

Untitled.jpg

Edited Oct 14, 2019
  5. simonsays Oct 14, 2019

I can find this forum disappointing. It is often an echo chamber of self proclaimed experts and cliques of facilitators giving endless likes for half truths and weak research. When challenged they try to shut down the discussion and behave with pomposity.

I would forgive this but when new information is presented they disappear, more worried about loosing face than being excited about improving their knowledge!

watchlovr likes this.
  6. Caliber561 Oct 14, 2019

So every time there's a dispute over something, you believe the best course of action is to attack the entire forum? Even if a modicum of forum-members fall into the category which you describe, this forum is still a haven of open discourse where many can come and learn about their passions. Decrying it in its entirety is a disservice to the people who helped build this community and its members as a whole, including you.

Davidt, eugeneandresson and Sherbie like this.
  7. simonsays Oct 15, 2019

I like the platform, I like the name and I like vintage Omega. But I am not here for 'likes'

Forums are living things, and the contributions made set the tone and value, however good the platform is. I think if the content starts to be untrue and unreliable, and dominated by back slapping cliques it looses its power.

If you want a forum dominated by 'what watch strap should I choose' and 'what storage box do you have' then carry on without complaint.

southtexas likes this.
  8. jolyon Oct 22, 2019

I've never understood why these are so expensive. How limited were they?

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 22, 2019

Estimates range from 50 to a couple of thousand. They crop up rather too often to be the former, and one thing to bear in mind is that there are more today then left the factory...

simonsays likes this.