Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. munichblue May 4, 2017

How long does it take Apple from introduction till delivery of a new iPhone?

2. lillatroll May 4, 2017

About 6 months. The iPhone 7 was announced in January and released in June of what ever year.

Rolex claimed it took 18 months to make a watch which I think is marketing nonsense.

It doesn't really matter, it will get here when it gets here, but for LE'S, where they are going to make a certain number irrespective of sales or hype I think they could be ready at the same time as launch.

One argument in favour of waiting might be that it gives people a chance to raise the funds. I am sure the sale of the speedytuesday might have been a lot slower if people had to cough up straight away.

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 4, 2017

...and when you have 100+ new references you want to bring out, roughly all at the same time?

...Apple bring out phones every year. They officially announce in September, and start shipping round December. My bet is they already have next years iPhone design about 90% nailed when this years one comes out and in parallel are dreaming of the next one (the Hardware-Software Research and Dev still has ordered dependancies (i.e. cant do final tests of SW without as final as possible HW, but there are ways/methodologies to do them as much in parallel as possible)). But Apple dont actually make the HW, its made in China (some parts even by the competition!), and so, for turnaround times they have to have their HW components already being produced before they can officially announce...

EDIT : that said, every second year is a 's' bump. And so, they recycle last years design (minor HW/SW mods). So that effectively gives them roughly 2 years to design the next big iteration of iPhone.

Edited May 4, 2017
  4. lillatroll May 4, 2017

They don't have to be released at the same time. Tag Heuer released a watch recently that was ready for sale at the same time as launch so it appears to be possible.

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 4, 2017

Hence the adverb 'roughly' :coffee: i.e. if they announce 100+ references (what was it again, 148? 168?) in March (meaning they already had prototypes in January/February), and would like to deliver starting summer till autumn (i.e. July ~ September), thats quite ok methinks. But thats just the watch, what about all the other stuff that goes with it (for the non-generic LE's)? And most of those new references contain METAs certified movements, which means testing happens for each and every piece, not just a random pick of the production run. What was the turnaround time for that? 10 days for a batch of X movements? Cant remember exact figures...was along those lines...

Another point worth considering : how much of the Heuer (I assume you are referring to the new modular watch) is mass-produced not-in-Switzerland? And when did they start to produce these (vs officially release)?

Just trying to be a voice of objective reason :) I do agree that, if they gave priority to the Speedy Tuesdays, and only focused on producing those first, they could have been done already (movements are most likely all on stock for a number of years etc etc). But who knows how Omega executes all of these projects simultaneously...my guess (again, all we can do) would be in the most cost-effective manner possible...

Wishing you a good day Good Sir!

Edited May 4, 2017
  6. lillatroll May 4, 2017

All good points.
    I am sure there are many reasons as to why it takes as long as it does from launch to production especially concerning non LEs.
    And even in relation to LEs, it might cause a lot of irritation amongst those of us who don't regularly have a couple of grand stuffed in our sky rocket, on the off chance there is a watch we want to buy on any given day.:)

7. fskywalker May 4, 2017

The only parts "new" on the ST are the crown, dial and caseback inscription , as everything else (1861 movement and full case) are the same as on the regular 3570 / 005 new designation so no new movement to test (case being brushed rather than polished).

IMHO the "delay" is just a marketing scheme or a logistics issue they have to deal in sourcing the new parts.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 4, 2017

Produce a few watches get pre-sell/orders for 2000 of them, then make the watch = Smart
    Produce 2000 watches and hope they sell = potential disaster

9. lillatroll May 4, 2017

If you launch an LE and say that you are going to make 2000 then you have to produce 2000 otherwise you look stupid. Whith a product like an expensive watch, image is everything so they can't afford to devalue the brand image by not producing the number they say they will produce. With non LEs it makes more sense to gauge intresert prior to production.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! May 4, 2017

If you are not sure how well an item will sell then just market it as a numbered or non LE but time limited edition, rather like the FOIS or Tin-Tin. It won't have as much scarcity value and thus won't be worth as much as an LE in the aftermarket (until production ceases perhaps) but as the manufacturer that doesn't really matter and if sales dry up you can cease production whenever you want.

11. Scepticalist May 4, 2017

I would fully expect watches to be produced on the normal production line - you wouldn't make a line just for a LE. This beng the case, I assume the LEs are produced on a line that normally manufactures the Speedy Pro anyway for minimal retooling.

You'd have to order and receive all the new parts (dial, crown, cases, straps, packaging etc) Only when you have all of those ready would you turn the line over to producing the watches. I don't think a 3+ month lead time is unreasonable for that and then you have the 6 weeks necessary for production and testing and then ship to dealers. Bingo - you're into June at the earliest following a January launch.

STANDY likes this.
  12. N1CK May 4, 2017

Not true. The case is machined differently as it has a brushed finish, while the straps, subdial handset and watch roll are entirely new.

So, nothing new; apart from the case, crown, dial, caseback, subdial handset, straps and packaging.

The only things unchanged are the movement and the principal handset.

13. fskywalker May 4, 2017

The case is exactly the same, just brushed rather than polished. You are right on the hands and strap, but that was not my point. No "testing" will be required on a case / movement combo that has basically remained the same for over 10 years, so testing is not a reason for a delay in its launch

14. padders Oooo subtitles! May 4, 2017

So it is not exactly the same then is it? They can't just pick a case out of the bucket can they, like they would with the movement which is an off the shelf component. Adding the unique serials is an additional step too.

N1CK likes this.
  15. lando May 4, 2017

AFAIK for the first time in Speedmaster history, the ST features a caseback, that is always aligned correctly. I suppose you need a newly developed case and caseback to achieve this.

Edited May 4, 2017
    fskywalker likes this.
  16. fskywalker May 4, 2017

Unique serial goes on caseback, which is a separate part.

Edited May 4, 2017
  17. abrod520 May 4, 2017

Does GM begin selling a new car model immediately after announcing that it will go into production? Even if it uses the same platform and powertrain as their existing models?

Cars only take a couple days to produce; a watch perhaps a little bit more due to the hand-finishing and assembly. Of course, the dials probably take quite a bit to produce as well. But what I think we're forgetting is that the Speedy Tuesday is not produced in a vacuum; just as a new GM car is produced alongside existing models Omega is still producing all of their other models, and won't be adding or staffing new production lines just for the ST.

18. padders Oooo subtitles! May 4, 2017

But unlike the car, it is NASA rated for use in one...*

* Well the normal Moonwatch is but I didn't want to ruin the joke.

N1CK, abrod520 and semper_shells like this.
  19. blokk May 4, 2017

If the LE is 2000 pieces, how does anyone outside of omega know that 2000 actual pieces are out there?

arcadelt likes this.
  20. MCG555 May 4, 2017

Guys, THIS LE, is really special. I mean really really!
    It seems you did not read all of this LEs features:
    The case is hand brushed by nymphs, the hands set by beautiful maidens and the end control is done by true Swiss virgins (yes, both sexes). So - please - allow and respect the time needed until you can cherish it on your wrist! ;)

munichblue and Marku like this.