Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. Riviera Paradise Feb 11, 2017

Omega did not have an e-commerce platform in place to receive initial deposits for the #SpeedyTuesday reservations. Requiring reservation confirmation with an OB visit and deposit might have been deemed unfair for those without OBs nearby.

The big objective of course was a marketing exercise to position the brand as consumer aware / trendy with social media / WIS community, so "fair play" was probably a key aspect of any strategy that was discussed. They did not expect the reservation slots to end in hours on the same day...additional media coverage on how many Speedies were "sold in a few hours" was an unexpected bonus.

The #ST initiative would certainly have been a great way to launch an e-boutique platform for on-line sales with OB pick-up, but I think in the current market they want to keep the ADs active and have all the POS locations possible to deal with excess inventory. ADs might have reacted negatively to the launch of an official Omega e-commerce online sales platform.

I certainly have no intention of flipping my #ST, nor can I see anything right now rumored for Basel 2017 that would make me change my mind. I did have a clear objective of purchasing a second Speedy this year. The Speedy 60th Anniversary looks like it will be a broad arrow reference, which I don't really like on the Speedy Pro 3 dial config.. I simply can't imagine a nicer looking Speedy than the #ST with a tool watch look...

munichblue, Bushido, 2nastie and 2 others like this.
  2. AK1 Feb 11, 2017

I agree with you.

Design on this is rock solid, timeless and hopefully it will stay with me for a long long time.

Pun likes this.
  3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Feb 11, 2017

There we are - a really interesting post about the sales/marketing process rather than another 'fast buck' ramble. Although I've said before about the main interest for me being the aesthetics, (including conceptual ones, mainly to do with linking the NASA history to the individual products), the way in which Omega is seeking out new ways to promote and market the watches is absorbing. As with many things in life some people from the comfort of an armchair will criticise how Omega are doing it, but it's difficult to roll something out like this globably in a way in which all potential buyers will feel they've had a fair chance to make a reservation. I think they've done well with this LE and don't forget that the learning has had to be undertaken in the real market and with full media exposure.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  4. fskywalker Feb 11, 2017

That's exactly what I think as well. There won't be ST under MSRP at launch in any country, so no profit for resellers within a country. However, since price is less in some countries versus in others (for example, some people are saying about $5600 USD in UK versus $6500 USD in the USA) there could still be profit for people selling at MSRP if buying in one market and selling in another one.

5. Blacklidge Feb 11, 2017

Exactly. The speed at which the U.S. dollar has rallied against the euro, pound, yen and swiss franc has put Omega in a very awkward position where if they adjusted the ST Speedmaster to have the same price globally it would force them to reduce all the prices of their watches in the USA. If Omega did set the pricing the same globally and did not adjust their other watches in the USA they would have a situation
    where the ST Speedmaster would actually be cheaper than the standard Speedmaster. Some might say that is fair considering there is not a bracelet or box with the ST but that is another argument. So my guess is that Omega didn't want to devalue their whole U.S. inventory for this one watch.

6. Scepticalist Feb 11, 2017

Yup, I had these funds saved for the Heuer reissue, but some misgivings about the Heuer design meant reserving one of these was a no-brainer.

Clancy Eccles likes this.
  7. Lode_Runner Feb 11, 2017

I bet you were thinking about the Heuer Calibre 18, which is a stunning watch. But agreed, you just cannot turn down the Speedy Tuesday edition.

(Omega, if you're listening, please consider making this dial design part of your permanent product offerings! This is one of the first 'limited edition' Speedmasters out there that really has broad appeal.)

Nicherotors, pascs and Pibbow like this.
  8. munichblue Feb 12, 2017

Very strange because in Germany I have to pay 5.400 EUR incl. taxes which is around 5.750 $. That means I already made a profit of more than a grand.

9. dukerules Feb 12, 2017

Has anyone contacted Omega to see about switching their #ST delivery from a boutique to an AD? If so, who did you actually contact at Omega?

10. jepoole Feb 12, 2017

For what it's worth I contacted Omega about switching the delivery of #ST to a different OB and they said it was not a problem.

dukerules likes this.
  11. jpizzzle Feb 12, 2017

I contacted the speedy Tuesday email and are working on switching it.

dukerules likes this.
  12. dukerules Feb 12, 2017

Very excited about this one. Will need to sell something to fund it (likely either a blue Tudor snowflake or a Panerai 372). Thought the FOIS would be redundant with the ST, but I'm absolutely in love with it and it's going nowhere.

13. munichblue Feb 12, 2017

Write to [email protected]

14. nygiants Feb 14, 2017

Nice

15. N1CK Feb 15, 2017

New image of the Speedy Tuesday posted by Omega today to mark reaching 1 million instagram followers. Cannot wait to get mine!

[​IMG]

What straps are people thinking of wearing theirs with? Anyone know if we'll be able to buy additional copies of the leather or NATO straps?

Personally think I'll only ever wear it on a leather strap, either the one provided or a third-party strap.

kov, Pun, Lonestar and 10 others like this.
  16. jepoole Feb 15, 2017

I know I'm in the minority here, but I cannot wait to wear it with the black and white NATO. I'll likely pick up a bunch of different NATO straps for different times of the year.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 15, 2017

It is a beautiful watch but i concur with @Superdoc on the 17 basel incoming watch appeal. i would be surprised if many of the design features of the ST are not present on 17 new watches. Specially the radial lumed subdials.

Either way this is for sure a beautiful watch that takes the speedie tradition one step further in design and innovation without gimmicks.

Pun and Riviera Paradise like this.
  18. Riviera Paradise Feb 15, 2017

Thanks @N1CK for posting, great photo:thumbsup:. I am thinking of getting a SS bracelet as well.

19. incabloc Feb 15, 2017

I wilt try some of the old scrap-iron and look which is best fit.

IMG_2535.JPG

watchdaddy1, FatPhil, kov and 14 others like this.
  20. nygiants Feb 15, 2017

Nice collection of straps...