Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 19, 2017

Omega: Swiss. GMT+1
    Fratello: Dutch. GMT+1
    Customer base: Mostly Central/western european (read: CET = GMT+1)

They had to pick ONE launch time. They picked midday, GMT+1, which was (1) the most logical and (2) the most "central" (or close, midday GMT is the "central point" of all global timezones)

As unfair as it was, it's the fairest it could be. Sorry for Alaskans (GMT-9, what are west-coasters complaining about...), Tongans (south, GMT+13... gulp), Inuits living near the Bering Detroit (north, GMT+13). You can't please everyone...

Having said that, glad to be living at GMT+1 myself :D

2. fskywalker Jan 19, 2017

Those 2 watches, based on said reference numbers above, would be 39mm, just like FOIS, CK2998 and Sedna Gold Speedies. Interesting...

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. semper_shells Jan 19, 2017

I'm hoping I can get one of these as well. I don't know what I'm going to tell the wife but two LE Speedmasters in one year would be great!

4. Tk421 Jan 19, 2017

This is interesting.

So I spoke to my nearest Omega Boutique yesterday and they said they have heard rumours but have no certainty on what may be released.

He said he had heard;
    - Limited edition replica 1957 speedmaster 38mm with 1861 movement
    - limited edition replica 1957 railmaster
    - limited edition replica 1957 seamaster

And a box with all 3.

They also said because of market conditions omega were inclined to release any LE's in stainless steel to ensure they were affordable.

They said this was all rumour, speculation and that they did not know.

In addition they mentioned that only 21 Snoopy LE's made it to Australia. Apparently even less SpeedyTuesday's!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2017

If that last part's true I know a quarter of the SpeedyTuesday owners in Aus then lol

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 20, 2017

Get this from the Watchbase Blog?

http://watchbase.com/blog/tag/31110393001001

fskywalker likes this.
  7. Bond007 Jan 20, 2017

8. Riviera Paradise Jan 20, 2017

Well if the watchbase article is right we will have two FOIS type LEs and one 1863 display back Speedie Pro for Basel 2017, all in stainless steel.

So I suppose there is sufficient difference between these new models and the #SpeedyTuesday to reduce product overlap (I honestly thought they would only release a PM Speedy LE). Based on this info I still think the #SpeedyTuesday will still be the most desired Speedy Pro to be launched in 2017:)

I will certainly be interested in purchasing a FOIS type LE in SS to complement my #SpeedyTuesday:)

9. 2nastie Jan 20, 2017

I hope this do this one right. I'm suspecting a broad arrow back... please please not in a funky color. Ha!

fskywalker and Riviera Paradise like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2017

I do not think that Omega would use the term "replica" but rather homage or anniversary edition..
    In most watch circles Replica implies either exact copies or fake watches.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 20, 2017

SpeedyPhill and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. Riviera Paradise Jan 20, 2017

Perhaps they will have different hands on the LEs? I personally am not a huge fan of the broad arrow on the early Speedmasters, I actually prefer the alpha hands on the FOIS. Interesting that Watchbase has the nickname "Panda" for both LEs...so with the SpeedyTuesday reverse Panda, will these LEs be the Panda options for 2017, following on from the CK 2998? With the grey nato strap, perhaps we can assume a monochromatic black/white dial?

I am very curious about the 180 limited version...it must have something very special to justify such as limited run...case will be SS, calibre 1861, pretty much standard stuff...what do you guys and gals think?

Edited Jan 20, 2017
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2017

padders and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 20, 2017

Hands are specific to the 2 watches from what I can see. Hour and minute are described as "Arrow/Dauphine" where the FIOPS are described as "Lancet" shaped. The small counter hands are "Leaf" shaped.

Cheers, Al

15. ohmzx Jan 20, 2017

Where can I get some chocolate speedy? How much is a good price now?

16. metalgear Jan 23, 2017

i'm not particular a modern speedmaster variant fan, but this whole debacle is very interesting to understand the dynamics in the modern watch world. have bloggers like Fratello assumed that much power controlloing consumer demand over Omega. it will be interesting to see if how many of these pop up on re-sale soon after too - is the online sales channel going to recoup that first level of profits? why only 2000, when Omega as a watch company could sell more? by estimation this is the sign of the times, the decline of boutiques, and the continued of the internet celebrity sites and personalities.

17. Travelller Jan 23, 2017

Well I can see the "business logic" in this but I am sticking to my guns on this one. :D

The only other case I can refer to is the Paneristi's 15th anniversary LE. All who attended the meet in NY were placed on a list and the list was shared with OP HQ. Not quite the same scenario as the OP Boutiques were not "bound" to honor the list but AFAIK, most of the attending Paneristi that wanted one got one. :thumbsup:

jepoole and Riviera Paradise like this.
  18. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jan 24, 2017

I can't see anything of a 'debacle' in this. I don't think bloggers have gained some sinister take-over of Omega's marketing planning. I do feel, however, that a beneficial influence has been exerted in this instance as the concept and look of the Speedy Tuesday is to me much more appealing than the last two LEs. For many reasons releasing the 'options' for 2,000 pieces into a global market is bound to have its problematic aspects, but I don't think Omega have done anything clumsy on this occasion.

Pun, watchme, Bond007 and 2 others like this.
  19. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 24, 2017

I wouldn't quite call selling out 2012 watches in 5 hours a "debacle".

Regarding margin splitting: whether it gets sold through an OB or direct, it gets rolled to Omega's P&L directly anyway - they own the OB's... It'll more interesting about AD's. This shouldl be a minority of the deliveries I think given that the primary delivery choice on the website was boutiques only...

Having said that, as these will be picked in a "local" location, how do we know that Omega isn't selling them to the retailer for half the RRP (or whatever is the usual LP vs. RRP ratio) and then it's the retailer (be it OB or AD) who gets the last piece of the pie by selling at RRP to the consumer? Unless we have someone who knows the business model of all this, we can only speculate...

In any case, the buzz around all this, plus the sales, is a marketing textbook business case for me! Making money while advertising for the brand is a marketer's dream! Kudos to all involved.

Edited Jan 24, 2017
    AK1, tyrantlizardrex, Pibbow and 3 others like this.
  20. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 24, 2017

I believe those who cry because they didn't manage to get one of those 2012 pcs, would cry as much as now about the value of their non-limited edition dropping by half on unpacking the box. ::stirthepot::

tyrantlizardrex and watchme like this.